biketow 3000

  • A
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 24, 2011
      Alec from xtracycle suggested I post this bike tow solution up.
      Pictures here http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/1425073/sn/1228859900/name/utetow+008.jpg and here

      http://xa.yimg com/kq/groups/ 1425073/sn/ 1820736605/ name/utetow+ 001.jpg

      After much toying with the idea including screwing a delta bike hitch http://www.deltacycle.com/dcimages/BH1005x.jpg onto the snap deck (in the end I didn't want to screw into it such a piece of art - maybe consider screwing into a tec deck if I had one).

      In the end I used this after-market clamp - http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/T7CAMN9AB/title/torpedo7--alloy-bike-mount---fits-t7-ext-cargo-bar - it clamps perfectly on the tube as its designed for a similar profile roof rack. It has a sturdy bracket that wraps around the tube. It comes with a knob bolt to tighten on. You need to get it on the right angle to allow tyre clearance ( I have schwalbe big apples and as you know they have a large aspect ratio) and I sawed off most of the bolt as it is quite long. I will probably replace with a hex head bolt so i can bit a bit more torque on it.

      One thing I noticed if you go up a steep incline then turn sharply or quickly, the leverage from the bike at extreme angles can twist the mount round on the tube. I think this was due to the fact I had only had used finger force to tighten the knob, so the replacement bolt should resolve that. Otherwise I have found it stable and secure on my test runs so far although I havent taken it off road yet. The turning circle is certainly bigger but seems to be smooth at a decent angle.

      Anyway hope this assists and I will keep you posted.
    • poppamando
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 24, 2011
        Alec, this looks like a great solution. Here's "the rub" in my opinion: the clamp you use does not allow for rotation of the fork in the clamp. The clamp was designed for bikes to remain stationery on a rack, not for bikes to be towed and for the clamp to experience all sorts of torsion. One solution (and I may be way out on a limb here) could be to wrap the Xtracycle horizontal (spreader?) tube with a thin, but durable plastic sleeve after greasing the tube. You could then clamp the hitch to the tube (maybe use some thread lock) and know the hitch would rotate some if needed.

        Thanks for your efforts!

        -Phil

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "A" <andyboote@...> wrote:

        > Alec from xtracycle suggested I post this bike tow solution up.
        > Pictures here http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/1425073/sn/1228859900/name/utetow+008.jpg and here
        >
        > http://xa.yimg com/kq/groups/ 1425073/sn/ 1820736605/ name/utetow+ 001.jpg
        >
        > After much toying with the idea including screwing a delta bike hitch http://www.deltacycle.com/dcimages/BH1005x.jpg onto the snap deck (in the end I didn't want to screw into it such a piece of art - maybe consider screwing into a tec deck if I had one).
        >
        > In the end I used this after-market clamp - http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/T7CAMN9AB/title/torpedo7--alloy-bike-mount---fits-t7-ext-cargo-bar - it clamps perfectly on the tube as its designed for a similar profile roof rack. It has a sturdy bracket that wraps around the tube. It comes with a knob bolt to tighten on. You need to get it on the right angle to allow tyre clearance ( I have schwalbe big apples and as you know they have a large aspect ratio) and I sawed off most of the bolt as it is quite long. I will probably replace with a hex head bolt so i can bit a bit more torque on it.
        >
        > One thing I noticed if you go up a steep incline then turn sharply or quickly, the leverage from the bike at extreme angles can twist the mount round on the tube. I think this was due to the fact I had only had used finger force to tighten the knob, so the replacement bolt should resolve that. Otherwise I have found it stable and secure on my test runs so far although I havent taken it off road yet. The turning circle is certainly bigger but seems to be smooth at a decent angle.
        >
        > Anyway hope this assists and I will keep you posted.

      • Joel
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 24, 2011

          Nice idea, I've always towed bikes by securing the rim
          of the front wheel to the V-bars is three places. This allows
          the hub to pivot for any slope and the headset to pivot for
          turning which does avoid the problem you've described at the
          end of your post.

          Cheers
          Joel

[...]

        • jtrops
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 24, 2011
            What about using one of the old Yakima bike mounts that clamped the load bar on one side, and had a sort of QR axle clamped on one side. I think you could clamp an old hub in its place, and get the vertical pivot without the "rub."

            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "poppamando" <b4kids@...> wrote:

            > Alec, this looks like a great solution. Here's "the rub" in my opinion: the clamp you use does not allow for rotation of the fork in the clamp. The clamp was designed for bikes to remain stationery on a rack, not for bikes to be towed and for the clamp to experience all sorts of torsion. One solution (and I may be way out on a limb here) could be to wrap the Xtracycle horizontal (spreader?) tube with a thin, but durable plastic sleeve after greasing the tube. You could then clamp the hitch to the tube (maybe use some thread lock) and know the hitch would rotate some if needed.
            >
            > Thanks for your efforts!
            >
            > -Phil
            >
            > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "A" <andyboote@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Alec from xtracycle suggested I post this bike tow solution up.
            > > Pictures here http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/1425073/sn/1228859900/name/utetow+008.jpg and here
            > >
            > > http://xa.yimg com/kq/groups/ 1425073/sn/ 1820736605/ name/utetow+ 001.jpg
            > >
            > > After much toying with the idea including screwing a delta bike hitch http://www.deltacycle.com/dcimages/BH1005x.jpg onto the snap deck (in the end I didn't want to screw into it such a piece of art - maybe consider screwing into a tec deck if I had one).
            > >
            > > In the end I used this after-market clamp - http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/T7CAMN9AB/title/torpedo7--alloy-bike-mount---fits-t7-ext-cargo-bar - it clamps perfectly on the tube as its designed for a similar profile roof rack. It has a sturdy bracket that wraps around the tube. It comes with a knob bolt to tighten on. You need to get it on the right angle to allow tyre clearance ( I have schwalbe big apples and as you know they have a large aspect ratio) and I sawed off most of the bolt as it is quite long. I will probably replace with a hex head bolt so i can bit a bit more torque on it.
            > >
            > > One thing I noticed if you go up a steep incline then turn sharply or quickly, the leverage from the bike at extreme angles can twist the mount round on the tube. I think this was due to the fact I had only had used finger force to tighten the knob, so the replacement bolt should resolve that. Otherwise I have found it stable and secure on my test runs so far although I havent taken it off road yet. The turning circle is certainly bigger but seems to be smooth at a decent angle.
            > >
            > > Anyway hope this assists and I will keep you posted.

          • anthonyeberger
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 25, 2011
              I'll second Joel's post below. I only tow bikes a few miles at a time but I've never had an issue (or scratched the paint etc) on a bike I am towing by securing it. I've probably towed 10 to 15 bikes this way.

              To each his/her own

              Tony B.
              Riverwest WI

            • watrout@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 25, 2011
                As a previous post mentioned, you need something that allows the fork-to-hitch attachment point to rotate. Somewhere on this group I have pictures of my setup, but essentially it's an old front hub u-bolted to an aluminum right angle which is u-bolted to the rear v-rack verticals. Works very well and doubles as a trailer attachment point for those of you hauling kid trailers.

                Wes

              • Devian Gilbert
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 25, 2011
                  I like that mod, its genius

                  d-
                  On Nov 25, 2011, at 1:23 PM, watrout@... wrote:

                  > As a previous post mentioned, you need something that allows the fork-to-hitch attachment point to rotate. Somewhere on this group I have pictures of my setup, but essentially it's an old front hub u-bolted to an aluminum right angle which is u-bolted to the rear v-rack verticals. Works very well and doubles as a trailer attachment point for those of you hauling kid trailers.
                  >
                  > Wes

                • Dr. Michael Polsinelli
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 26, 2011
                    Have any of you towed a fixed gear? Can you just strap the front wheel
                    into the freeloader?
                  • Joel
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 26, 2011
                      I have, just make sure the
                      cranks and pedals are clear to spin

                      cheers
                      joel

                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 27, 2011
                        Thanks for that reminder. I wondered where I'd seen that set-up before.

                        -Phil

                        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, watrout@... wrote:

                        > As a previous post mentioned, you need something that allows the fork-to-hitch attachment point to rotate. Somewhere on this group I have pictures of my setup, but essentially it's an old front hub u-bolted to an aluminum right angle which is u-bolted to the rear v-rack verticals. Works very well and doubles as a trailer attachment point for those of you hauling kid trailers.
                        >
                        > Wes

                      • Andrew Kreps
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 5, 2011
                          In the spirit of sharing, here's an alternate towing method I've used
                          with success, which also allows you to haul two bikes at once:

                          http://getfile0.posterous.com/getfile/files.posterous.com/onewheelskyward/DwXCQeE2NUQ0c38CkZDNcN0JAcFMvdXsLpKPqW5Sm6DDKNCF9szYiRoLw8mt/photo.jpg.scaled.1000.jpg