Re: [rootsradicals] Superhooks x Magic Carpet collabo: how to?

  • Robert Tilley
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 23, 2011
      On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 6:39 AM, David Backeberg <dbackeberg@...> wrote:
      > Congrats on your 2011 Big Dummy. I love my 2011 BD, but I have one
      > small complaint. The metal tubing for the head tube seems to be finely
      > ribbed rather than smooth, and for whatever reason, the cable housings
      > for my brakes and derailleurs have been steadily removing the gloss,
      > and now the paint from that surface. You can now see bare metal in one
      > particular quarter inch by quarter inch square where the front disk
      > brake cable housing rubs as it heads down toward the fork. I have
      > about 650 miles of urban riding on this frame.
      >
      > I've never experienced this before. I don't expect that this is
      > particularly abrasive, super tough cable housing? It says 'Jagwire'.
      > Very strange. Does anybody else with a 2011 Dummy want to take a look
      > at their head tube and see if they're having the same thing happen?

      I haven't noticed any rub issues on my Dummy yet but I recently set up
      a Karate Monkey for my new off-road commute & the cables rubbed the
      paint down to bare metal in under two weeks. I think it's more of an
      issue with Surly's crappy paint than with abrasive cables (although I
      did use Jagwire cable). I put some clear tape meant for chain slap
      protection on the spots where the cables rub to prevent any further
      problems.

      Robert Tilley
      San Diego, CA