carbon fork?

  • skeem2005
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 17, 2011
      Can a carbon fork handle added weight caused by Xtracycle?
    • Rich W
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 19, 2011
        I would not recommend it. My one carbon fiber front forked bicycle, a Civia Hyland Rohloff, had the carbon fiber front fork recalled and replaced by the manufacturer with a steel front fork due to a customers fork failure. This was on a normal bike, not a longtail.

        I would not personally use a carbon fiber fork on a longtail unless I knew it was rated by the manufacturer as strong enough for a tandem.

        Rich Wood

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "skeem2005" <emilyskopp@...> wrote:

        > Can a carbon fork handle added weight caused by Xtracycle?

      • Devian Gilbert
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 19, 2011
          carbon vs steel, etc...
          nominally speaking a typical steel fork is going to be more durable than a typical carbon fork.

          however... carbon forks can be very strong.

          On Nov 19, 2011, at 9:49 PM, Rich W wrote:

          I would not recommend it. My one carbon fiber front forked bicycle, a Civia Hyland Rohloff, had the carbon fiber front fork recalled and replaced by the manufacturer with a steel front fork due to a customers fork failure. This was on a normal bike, not a longtail.

          I would not personally use a carbon fiber fork on a longtail unless I knew it was rated by the manufacturer as strong enough for a tandem.

          Rich Wood

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "skeem2005" <emilyskopp@...> wrote:

          > Can a carbon fork handle added weight caused by Xtracycle?

        • Bruce Alan Wilson
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 20, 2011
            Steel is real.