Re: 2 kids + 2 bikes

  • E_E_Thomas
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 9, 2011
      This is our plan for next summer, for the 12" and 16" the kids will be on then. Glad to hear it's working!

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Fred <fredcostapinto@...> wrote:

      > This has been my set up for months on my BD, each front wheel in a freeloader and a strap to hold to hold them together.
      >
      > Sent from my iBench

    • Dave Lloyd
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 9, 2011
        Any tips for straping the bikes in? Last time I did this, it was way too wobbly for my taste.

        --dlloyd

        On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 09:42, Fred <fredcostapinto@...> wrote:

        This has been my set up for months on my BD, each front wheel in a freeloader and a strap to hold to hold them together.

        Sent from my iBench

      • David Dannenberg
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 9, 2011
          Use wide loaders and two bike racks. Xtracycle used to sell a bike rack for use on a wideloader, but I can't find it on their site. Seems to me to be a reasonable idea to mount a bike roof rack onto a wide loader. Wouldn't even have to take the wheels off of the bikes you are carrying.

          David Dannenberg
        • Steve Lange
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 9, 2011
            I've been very happy towing a trailer I built from a Wike DIY kit (http://www.wicycle.com):

            http://www.stevelange.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/wike_diy_trailer.jpg

            Our kids' bikes are currently 12" and 16", but you can build the trailer to whatever size you need (within reason) and it tows very nicely.

            Plus, if you go someplace without the kids' bikes, you can use the trailer for big / bulky cargo (like: a fullsize cooler, etc.) that wouldn't work so well if you were already hauling passengers on the X / BD.

            There sometimes seems to be resistance to trailers amongst the cargo crowd represented here, but I've used a few different trailers now (first a kiddie trailer and now my cargo trailer), and find that they greatly extend the amount of use I can get out of my longtail.

            Steve Lange
            Santa Barbara, CA

            On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 8:36 AM, Dave Lloyd <dave@...> wrote:

            Any tips for straping the bikes in? Last time I did this, it was way too wobbly for my taste.

            --dlloyd

            On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 09:42, Fred <fredcostapinto@...> wrote:

            This has been my set up for months on my BD, each front wheel in a freeloader and a strap to hold to hold them together.

            Sent from my iBench

          • Miguel Barroso
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 10, 2011
              thank you all,

              I might take my chance on wideloaders, with some kind of a sturdy fixture, and tow each bike by it's front wheel (I know I saw something like this a long time ago, if any of you can point me to this, I would appreciate - I tried putting the front wheel of the bikes on the Freeloaders, but it's too wobbly.)

              In the long run, I might consider building my own trailer (unfortunately, ordering the Wike DIY kit from the US to Portugal, would end up costing a lot).

              Thanks once more, and please keep sending ideas or pictures of other solutions

              Cheers,
              Miguel Barroso

              On 09-11-2011 17:55, Steve Lange wrote: I've been very happy towing a trailer I built from a Wike DIY kit (http://www.wicycle.com):

[...]

            • Fred
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 10, 2011
                I just pass a strap through both handlebars and attach to the back of my double kid seat. I found that leaving the bikes move freely was better because they would naturally follow the BD (exception being going downhill fast or hiting bumps in which case they could wobble...)

                Sent from my iBench
              • Steve Fuller
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 10, 2011
                  Bar through the rear wide loader mount, and then bolt a front wheel mount from Thule or the like on each side.

                  Steve Fuller
                • fred
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 11, 2011
                    Just to clarify: I don't have the wideloaders (although I intend to get a pair sometime in the future). I just insert the front wheel of each bike in the freeloader.
                    Fred
                  • A
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 15, 2011
                      I have successfully put 8yo and 6yo plus front wheels of 24 inch bike and 20 inch bikes into each side of freeloaders - its ok to let them track. One day I will try and strap seatposts to see if it makes any difference.

                      Here are some pics of my ute with bike hitch towing my race bike

                      http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/1425073/sn/1820736605/name/utetow+001.jpg
                      http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/1425073/sn/1228859900/name/utetow+008.jpg

                      all the best
                      Andy