Re: [rootsradicals] 2 kids + 2 bikes

  • Cara Lin Bridgman
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 9, 2011
      One front wheel in each freeloader and a bungee or strap around the two
      seatposts to keep the bikes in line?

      CL
      who has never tried hauling two bikes.

      Miguel Barroso wrote:
      > But now they got bigger, and their bikes also (they're both riding 20"
      > MTBs). I'm looking for ideas to take them both, plus the bikes...
    • Fred
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 9, 2011
        This has been my set up for months on my BD, each front wheel in a freeloader and a strap to hold to hold them together.

        Sent from my iBench
      • E_E_Thomas
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 9, 2011
          This is our plan for next summer, for the 12" and 16" the kids will be on then. Glad to hear it's working!

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Fred <fredcostapinto@...> wrote:

          > This has been my set up for months on my BD, each front wheel in a freeloader and a strap to hold to hold them together.
          >
          > Sent from my iBench

        • Dave Lloyd
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 9, 2011
            Any tips for straping the bikes in? Last time I did this, it was way too wobbly for my taste.

            --dlloyd

            On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 09:42, Fred <fredcostapinto@...> wrote:

            This has been my set up for months on my BD, each front wheel in a freeloader and a strap to hold to hold them together.

            Sent from my iBench

          • David Dannenberg
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 9, 2011
              Use wide loaders and two bike racks. Xtracycle used to sell a bike rack for use on a wideloader, but I can't find it on their site. Seems to me to be a reasonable idea to mount a bike roof rack onto a wide loader. Wouldn't even have to take the wheels off of the bikes you are carrying.

              David Dannenberg
            • Steve Lange
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 9, 2011
                I've been very happy towing a trailer I built from a Wike DIY kit (http://www.wicycle.com):

                http://www.stevelange.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/wike_diy_trailer.jpg

                Our kids' bikes are currently 12" and 16", but you can build the trailer to whatever size you need (within reason) and it tows very nicely.

                Plus, if you go someplace without the kids' bikes, you can use the trailer for big / bulky cargo (like: a fullsize cooler, etc.) that wouldn't work so well if you were already hauling passengers on the X / BD.

                There sometimes seems to be resistance to trailers amongst the cargo crowd represented here, but I've used a few different trailers now (first a kiddie trailer and now my cargo trailer), and find that they greatly extend the amount of use I can get out of my longtail.

                Steve Lange
                Santa Barbara, CA

                On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 8:36 AM, Dave Lloyd <dave@...> wrote:

                Any tips for straping the bikes in? Last time I did this, it was way too wobbly for my taste.

                --dlloyd

                On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 09:42, Fred <fredcostapinto@...> wrote:

                This has been my set up for months on my BD, each front wheel in a freeloader and a strap to hold to hold them together.

                Sent from my iBench

              • Miguel Barroso
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 10, 2011
                  thank you all,

                  I might take my chance on wideloaders, with some kind of a sturdy fixture, and tow each bike by it's front wheel (I know I saw something like this a long time ago, if any of you can point me to this, I would appreciate - I tried putting the front wheel of the bikes on the Freeloaders, but it's too wobbly.)

                  In the long run, I might consider building my own trailer (unfortunately, ordering the Wike DIY kit from the US to Portugal, would end up costing a lot).

                  Thanks once more, and please keep sending ideas or pictures of other solutions

                  Cheers,
                  Miguel Barroso

                  On 09-11-2011 17:55, Steve Lange wrote: I've been very happy towing a trailer I built from a Wike DIY kit (http://www.wicycle.com):

                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 10, 2011
                    I just pass a strap through both handlebars and attach to the back of my double kid seat. I found that leaving the bikes move freely was better because they would naturally follow the BD (exception being going downhill fast or hiting bumps in which case they could wobble...)

                    Sent from my iBench
                  • Steve Fuller
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 10, 2011
                      Bar through the rear wide loader mount, and then bolt a front wheel mount from Thule or the like on each side.

                      Steve Fuller
                    • fred
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 11, 2011
                        Just to clarify: I don't have the wideloaders (although I intend to get a pair sometime in the future). I just insert the front wheel of each bike in the freeloader.
                        Fred
                      • A
                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 15, 2011
                          I have successfully put 8yo and 6yo plus front wheels of 24 inch bike and 20 inch bikes into each side of freeloaders - its ok to let them track. One day I will try and strap seatposts to see if it makes any difference.

                          Here are some pics of my ute with bike hitch towing my race bike

                          http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/1425073/sn/1820736605/name/utetow+001.jpg
                          http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/1425073/sn/1228859900/name/utetow+008.jpg

                          all the best
                          Andy