Re: [rootsradicals] 2 kids + 2 bikes

  • David Backeberg
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 9, 2011
      On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 5:27 AM, Miguel Barroso
      <miguelbarroso@...> wrote:
      > I have a challenge for you... I used to take my 2 kids, and their small bikes (12" and 16") on the Xtracycle... no problem, the smaller bike could fit on one of the freeloaders, and the front wheel of the 16 incher on the other, and would tow it...
      >
      > But now they got bigger, and their bikes also (they're both riding 20" MTBs). I'm looking for ideas to take them both, plus the bikes...

      Several people have built quick-release style fork mounts for the back
      of their xtras, where you remove the front wheel of a bike and
      quick-release clamp the fork into the fork of the bike you are towing.
      I'm too lazy to link to a picture, but somebody else will.

      You could make two of these, and mount them on wideloaders (or a
      single wide bar at the back) if you wanted some separation between the
      bikes. That separation would probably be enough to keep them from
      bumping into each other when towed, and having one on each side would
      help with balance, but then you would need to store the two front
      wheels somewhere. Maybe velco/strap them to the bikes that are getting
      towed? Maybe put them in the freeloaders but then they're kind of in
      the way of the riders.

      Out of curiosity, how big are these kids if they're both up to 20" MTBs now?21
    • Cara Lin Bridgman
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 9, 2011
        One front wheel in each freeloader and a bungee or strap around the two
        seatposts to keep the bikes in line?

        CL
        who has never tried hauling two bikes.

        Miguel Barroso wrote:
        > But now they got bigger, and their bikes also (they're both riding 20"
        > MTBs). I'm looking for ideas to take them both, plus the bikes...
      • Fred
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 9, 2011
          This has been my set up for months on my BD, each front wheel in a freeloader and a strap to hold to hold them together.

          Sent from my iBench
        • E_E_Thomas
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 9, 2011
            This is our plan for next summer, for the 12" and 16" the kids will be on then. Glad to hear it's working!

            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Fred <fredcostapinto@...> wrote:

            > This has been my set up for months on my BD, each front wheel in a freeloader and a strap to hold to hold them together.
            >
            > Sent from my iBench

          • Dave Lloyd
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 9, 2011
              Any tips for straping the bikes in? Last time I did this, it was way too wobbly for my taste.

              --dlloyd

              On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 09:42, Fred <fredcostapinto@...> wrote:

              This has been my set up for months on my BD, each front wheel in a freeloader and a strap to hold to hold them together.

              Sent from my iBench

            • David Dannenberg
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 9, 2011
                Use wide loaders and two bike racks. Xtracycle used to sell a bike rack for use on a wideloader, but I can't find it on their site. Seems to me to be a reasonable idea to mount a bike roof rack onto a wide loader. Wouldn't even have to take the wheels off of the bikes you are carrying.

                David Dannenberg
              • Steve Lange
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 9, 2011
                  I've been very happy towing a trailer I built from a Wike DIY kit (http://www.wicycle.com):

                  http://www.stevelange.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/wike_diy_trailer.jpg

                  Our kids' bikes are currently 12" and 16", but you can build the trailer to whatever size you need (within reason) and it tows very nicely.

                  Plus, if you go someplace without the kids' bikes, you can use the trailer for big / bulky cargo (like: a fullsize cooler, etc.) that wouldn't work so well if you were already hauling passengers on the X / BD.

                  There sometimes seems to be resistance to trailers amongst the cargo crowd represented here, but I've used a few different trailers now (first a kiddie trailer and now my cargo trailer), and find that they greatly extend the amount of use I can get out of my longtail.

                  Steve Lange
                  Santa Barbara, CA

                  On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 8:36 AM, Dave Lloyd <dave@...> wrote:

                  Any tips for straping the bikes in? Last time I did this, it was way too wobbly for my taste.

                  --dlloyd

                  On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 09:42, Fred <fredcostapinto@...> wrote:

                  This has been my set up for months on my BD, each front wheel in a freeloader and a strap to hold to hold them together.

                  Sent from my iBench

                • Miguel Barroso
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 10, 2011
                    thank you all,

                    I might take my chance on wideloaders, with some kind of a sturdy fixture, and tow each bike by it's front wheel (I know I saw something like this a long time ago, if any of you can point me to this, I would appreciate - I tried putting the front wheel of the bikes on the Freeloaders, but it's too wobbly.)

                    In the long run, I might consider building my own trailer (unfortunately, ordering the Wike DIY kit from the US to Portugal, would end up costing a lot).

                    Thanks once more, and please keep sending ideas or pictures of other solutions

                    Cheers,
                    Miguel Barroso

                    On 09-11-2011 17:55, Steve Lange wrote: I've been very happy towing a trailer I built from a Wike DIY kit (http://www.wicycle.com):

                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 10, 2011
                      I just pass a strap through both handlebars and attach to the back of my double kid seat. I found that leaving the bikes move freely was better because they would naturally follow the BD (exception being going downhill fast or hiting bumps in which case they could wobble...)

                      Sent from my iBench
                    • Steve Fuller
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 10, 2011
                        Bar through the rear wide loader mount, and then bolt a front wheel mount from Thule or the like on each side.

                        Steve Fuller
                      • fred
                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 11, 2011
                          Just to clarify: I don't have the wideloaders (although I intend to get a pair sometime in the future). I just insert the front wheel of each bike in the freeloader.
                          Fred
                        • A
                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 15, 2011
                            I have successfully put 8yo and 6yo plus front wheels of 24 inch bike and 20 inch bikes into each side of freeloaders - its ok to let them track. One day I will try and strap seatposts to see if it makes any difference.

                            Here are some pics of my ute with bike hitch towing my race bike

                            http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/1425073/sn/1820736605/name/utetow+001.jpg
                            http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/1425073/sn/1228859900/name/utetow+008.jpg

                            all the best
                            Andy