Looking for 22" (XL) Big Dummy frameset

  • Adam Kimball
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2011
      Going to bite the bullet and see if a larger frame will solve my geometry problems I have with my 20" BD.  If you have one - used or new, and want to sell it - let me know.  If you have a 22" and want a 20" - maybe we can trade.

      I'd also like to hear from anyone who has been unable to get a BD to "fit" properly and have gone a different route.  I've been considering getting something like a Long Haul Trucker (in 61" or slightly bigger) and putting a free radical on it.  But the 700c tire width limitations makes me rethink this.  I love this bike, it just doesn't love me back so much.

      -Adam
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2011
        What's the nature of the fit problem? Not solvable with extra-long seatpost and/or stem?
        (I think you've gone over this before, I just don't recall the details.)
        I have a 20"; you must be pretty darn tall.

        David

        On 2011-11-02, at 12:18 PM, Adam Kimball wrote:

        > Going to bite the bullet and see if a larger frame will solve my geometry problems I have with my 20" BD. If you have one - used or new, and want to sell it - let me know. If you have a 22" and want a 20" - maybe we can trade.
      • sh8knj8kster
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 2, 2011
          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Adam Kimball <adamfkimball@...> wrote:

          > Going to bite the bullet and see if a larger frame will solve my geometry
          > problems I have with my 20" BD. If you have one - used or new, and want to
          > sell it - let me know. If you have a 22" and want a 20" - maybe we can
          > trade.
          >
          > I'd also like to hear from anyone who has been unable to get a BD to "fit"
          > properly and have gone a different route. I've been considering getting
          > something like a Long Haul Trucker (in 61" or slightly bigger) and putting
          > a free radical on it. But the 700c tire width limitations makes me rethink
          > this. I love this bike, it just doesn't love me back so much.
          >
          > -Adam

          ~~~Adam, I'm riding an LHT with an X-Kit...pics/verbiage here-

          http://www.flickr.com/photos/26137108@N04/sets/72157606078542750/

          You'll also notice I installed a 26" rear wheel in an original X-frame but the donor bike was eventually sold so I'm back to pedalling with a 700 rear wheel, At the time of trying a 26" wheel in the X frame, I thought I would have problems with the crank arms striking tarmac what with the already low BB height in the LHT frame but I found my worries were imaginary

          In regards to tire selection with a 700 wheel in the X frame, the 38mm tire that came stock on my LHT fits and that's it...no room for a larger tire size but I thought the newer X frames were built so you could run a 700 out back with fat tires. someone else will have to comment on this as I haven't kept abreast of the changes but I can say with surety, the original X concept was designed around a 26" wheel...it just so happened that a 700 wheel would fit so the manufacturer built and sold X frames with brake posts that could accomadate 700 wheels, but that design limits tire selection to 38mm using a 700 wheel. That said, I've hauled some heavy loads and have never expereinced tire troubles rolling with my 38mm tire,. which attribute to keeping my tires properly aired

          I used a wider Schwalbe tire in the 26" wheel (big apple) and run with a 700 big apple in the front currently. sort of a mishmash but it works=:-) I like the wider tire up front...in my mind, the wider front tire is cushier offering more give to lend my hands on the drop bars some relief. I don't think this is imaginary. The gains are small but they are there

          good luck with getting the right frame whatever you end up with. I could use one size larger frame but I am making do with what I have

          Best,

          Jake
          Reddick Fla.
          Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while...

          http://www.shakinjake.blogspot.com/
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/26137108@N04/