Re: [rootsradicals] Re: big dummy question

  • gear.head@verizon.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 27, 2011
      Rich,

      My apology in tardiness, I am slow to respond some times. Anyway regarding the cable routing, I am not the only one. When I threaded the cables down the rear triangle not all of the cable guides made sense, at least with disc brakes. I looked on line an there were quite a few people that felt the same way. In the end I skipped one cable guide, routed them the way it made sense to me and it shifts smoothly. On that note I am currently using index shifters with an H-bar, but may go bar end just for the sake of placement and room on my bars. Good tip by the way on quality cable/housings and prep. I have fixed many a shifting problem with just a little attention to cable detail.

      Sean

      From: "Rich W" <astronut1001@...>
      Sender: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 07:58:19 +0000
      To: <rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [rootsradicals] Re: big dummy question

      I found your comment regarding cable guides interesting as well as the recent posts regarding friction shifters. I have the late 2009/2010 27 speed Big Dummy complete from Surly and have had no problems with the indexed shifting on it so far. After initial cable bedding in the adjustment has been very stable both front and rear.

      I suspect though in part that is due to my buying from a very good local dealer whose mechanics take the time to make sure that the cables are properly routed, housing deburred etc as part of the bike assembly and prep. Proper indexed shifting is dependent on good cable and housing installation to minimize drag and play.

      Rich Wood