anyone hauling an xtracycle on a prius?

  • nancyh434
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 26, 2011
      Hello all,

      Thanks again for all the support and advice after my accident. I'm healing well, riding a lot. Alas, I borrowed a friend's trailer, and my kids *love* it, would rather ride in there than on the rack. And they will most likely outgrow the trailer by spring -- giving me plenty of time to train for having them on the bike.

      I'm seeking further advice: we'd like to buy a rack for our Prius that allows us to open the hatch with the bikes loaded. Anyone have such a thing?

      rkt88edmo, thanks for posting pix of your bike held vertically on a Yakima Swing Daddy; any idea if that rack would work on a Prius? (Is anyone doing that?)

      Thanks for any help you gave give us!

      Nancy
    • Pete Beers
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 26, 2011
        Greetings.  I've been trying to haul a Prius on my Xtra. ;)

        On the few occasions when I've had to haul my Xtra places, I've found that it fits very well on a tandem rack.  That said, I'm usually using a roof rack.  There are tandem racks that are hitch mount, but I don't know if they'd work on a Prius.

        Hope that is a little help.

        Pete

        On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 7:33 AM, nancyh434 <nhurrelbrinck@...> wrote:

        Hello all,

        Thanks again for all the support and advice after my accident. I'm healing well, riding a lot. Alas, I borrowed a friend's trailer, and my kids *love* it, would rather ride in there than on the rack. And they will most likely outgrow the trailer by spring -- giving me plenty of time to train for having them on the bike.

        I'm seeking further advice: we'd like to buy a rack for our Prius that allows us to open the hatch with the bikes loaded. Anyone have such a thing?

        rkt88edmo, thanks for posting pix of your bike held vertically on a Yakima Swing Daddy; any idea if that rack would work on a Prius? (Is anyone doing that?)

        Thanks for any help you gave give us!

        Nancy

      • Proxy
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 26, 2011
          I use a Yakima 4-bike rack that bends down, however an easier model of hitch rack to use would be a Glide Away rack. I can get three other bikes on my Yakima with my XC loaded on it first. The primary drawback to this is your hitch height, on my van, I'm left with about 4 inches of clearance below the bike and the tarmac, so I hear it drag when I exit driveways, for instance. This could be remedied with a hitch height adapter.

          The trick I find when using a hitch mounted bike rack and an XC is to rotate the bike vertically and rest the seat tube on the rack bars. You won't have to lift it to the top of the vehicle, and you can engage the bikes rear brake to swing the front up to get it close to the rack. Then when it's vertical, you might only have to lift a few inches.

          Quoting from the Amazon product description:

          "... 4 bike carrier is a rear oriented bike carrier for vehicles utilizing hitch receivers that allows full access to the rear interior of the vehicle without the necessity of removing the bikes. Designed around an accordion style folding mechanism, when need be the glideAWAY deluxe can extend up to 23" away from its locked position close to the vehicle. This makes it perfect for use with hatchbacks. It can also swivel either left or right when extended, allowing for even more space to reach cargo. It also ships with an anti-wobble device and a 72" lockable cable. Available in 2" or 1.25" hitch receiver sizes."

          http://www.amazon.com/Heininger-2200-Advantage-SportsRack-glideAWAY/dp/B0002Z9KHC

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 27, 2011
            Thanks for the great responses. The Glide Away looks like a good solution.

            Nancy