Re: [rootsradicals] Friction Shifting on a BD

  • Steve Lange
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 18, 2011
      On my Xtracycle, I have some 20yr old Deore thumbshifters that I run in friction mode and love. Thinking to put some on my new Big Dummy complete that I just got about 10 days ago. Clicky shifting is cool and all but really doesn't offer any advantages IMHO. Especially now that I'm running a 9spd cassette, I find I'm double-clicking all the time, whereas on my friction thumbies I could just smoothly slide up and down 2-3 gears as needed. And trim if I got a little noise or whatever.

      Honestly, to me it seems like indexing is a step in the wrong direction, though I was willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. Disc brakes on the other hand, are awesome :-)

      Steve Lange
      Santa Barbara, CA

      On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 10:13 AM, Dave Lloyd <dave@...> wrote:

      Yup! Ostensibly indexed but run in friction because I can be lazy 8 speed Shimano bar-ends hooked up to a Deore LX top pull in front and SLX rear. I run 8 speed gearing because it's enough for me (though the 12-36 9 speed does have me intrigued) and easy to shift in friction. The only time I get ghost shifts is when the drivetrain is really dirty or I didn't quite get the shift right going up a hill and torque it because I'm standing up, so, about the same as any other derailleur setup.

      --dlloyd

    • Devian Gilbert
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 18, 2011
        indexing can be a bit on the finicky side
        and I agree that friction is smooth, and at times nice and relaxing

        where indexing is a "performance" up grade (provided everything is properly aligned, adjusted, etc...)
        is often times in technical situations.  i.e. mountain biking
        or the times when you simply need/want to grab an exact gear ratio at a critical moment
        an example is the classic double shift... when you shift both front and rear at the same time.
        i.e.  big ring x your biggest cog then dropping to the middle ring and 3 cogs down in the back (ref:  gear inch calculator to determine closest equivalent)

        another move would be... starting out at a stop light, standing and pedaling away, accelerating by simply clicking 1 gear at a time to the next gear...

        those are just a few examples.

        syncro, no syncro, 3 on the tree, classic 4spd "H" pattern, automatics, triptronic, sportshifting, etc... all have their moments, uses and techniques.

[...]

      • Galen Fitzpatrick
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 18, 2011
          +1 on the riv silvers in a barcon mount.

          Smooth operation during winter camping trips, no problems at all. The longer lever is also a real treat when it comes time to pull out the big thick mittens. I highly recommend them.

          -G
        • Dane Buson
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 18, 2011
            I have a manky old friction shifter that I use for my front (and quite prefer - I've never thought indexing on the front was a good idea).  I do use an indexed shifter for the rear.

            On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 12:13 PM, Galen Fitzpatrick <galen.fitzpatrick@...> wrote:

            +1 on the riv silvers in a barcon mount.

            Smooth operation during winter camping trips, no problems at all. The longer lever is also a real treat when it comes time to pull out the big thick mittens. I highly recommend them.

            -G

          • Cara Lin Bridgman
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 19, 2011
              These two ads epitomize much of our efforts at RootsRadicals.
              the old school:
              <http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-s3PWljsrgRM/Tpy5ALuZPEI/AAAAAAAAAxg/6KhHJ4hHYBo/s1600/stupid_gm_ad.jpg>
              and
              the new school:
              <http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-GpDNXCQXCUY/Tpy5iyhVGkI/AAAAAAAAAxo/2SwrNzhwVRI/s1600/giant_bike_gm_ad.jpg>

              So glad that the bikers and bike businesses are increasing their
              profiles. Especially nice is the emphasis in on bikes for work and
              lifestyle not just for play.

              CL
              who tells people all the time that her long-tail bike is much more
              useful on Taiwan's roads than cars (which can't find parking spots) or
              motorbikes and motorscooters (which can't carry the loads).
            • michael kestner
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 20, 2011
                Hey, Roots! Thanks for the input. I thought maybe I was going to get sounds of crickets and blank stares. It's nice to know others appreciate the simplicity and reliability of friction shifting.

                My initial Freerad conversion was set up as a 1x8 with friction shifting in the rear. I loved it as it was ultra reliable once I got it dialed in. Sadly, I had to sell that one when I got laid off.

                Now I have a Big Dummy and wanted to try some more modern equipment. I'm definately keeping the disc brakes but these index shifters have got to go! Front and back, I'm done with them. Thanks again for the responses.

                Ride Safely. Mike