Re: [rootsradicals] Superhooks x Magic Carpet collabo: how to?

  • Steve Fuller
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 7, 2011
      On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 8:39 AM, David Backeberg <dbackeberg@...> wrote:

      Congrats on your 2011 Big Dummy. I love my 2011 BD, but I have one
      small complaint. The metal tubing for the head tube seems to be finely
      ribbed rather than smooth, and for whatever reason, the cable housings
      for my brakes and derailleurs have been steadily removing the gloss,
      and now the paint from that surface. You can now see bare metal in one
      particular quarter inch by quarter inch square where the front disk
      brake cable housing rubs as it heads down toward the fork. I have
      about 650 miles of urban riding on this frame.

      I took a roll of black electrical tape and placed pieces of it over potential cable rub spots. It doesn't stick out too bad.

      Steve
    • Rob Glover
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 7, 2011
        I've always used clear tape to accomplish this task. Most of my bikes have it in various rub spots.

        It mis-matches the paint a bit on my Big Dummy because the road grime doesn't stick to the taped spots quite as well, they look a bit shiny and clean in comparison to the rest of the bike.

        FatRob
        On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 8:39 AM, David Backeberg <dbackeberg@...> wrote:

        Congrats on your 2011 Big Dummy. I love my 2011 BD, but I have one
        small complaint. The metal tubing for the head tube seems to be finely
        ribbed rather than smooth, and for whatever reason, the cable housings
        for my brakes and derailleurs have been steadily removing the gloss,
        and now the paint from that surface. You can now see bare metal in one
        particular quarter inch by quarter inch square where the front disk
        brake cable housing rubs as it heads down toward the fork. I have
        about 650 miles of urban riding on this frame.

        I took a roll of black electrical tape and placed pieces of it over potential cable rub spots. It doesn't stick out too bad.

        Steve

      • Robert Tilley
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 23, 2011
          On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 6:39 AM, David Backeberg <dbackeberg@...> wrote:
          > Congrats on your 2011 Big Dummy. I love my 2011 BD, but I have one
          > small complaint. The metal tubing for the head tube seems to be finely
          > ribbed rather than smooth, and for whatever reason, the cable housings
          > for my brakes and derailleurs have been steadily removing the gloss,
          > and now the paint from that surface. You can now see bare metal in one
          > particular quarter inch by quarter inch square where the front disk
          > brake cable housing rubs as it heads down toward the fork. I have
          > about 650 miles of urban riding on this frame.
          >
          > I've never experienced this before. I don't expect that this is
          > particularly abrasive, super tough cable housing? It says 'Jagwire'.
          > Very strange. Does anybody else with a 2011 Dummy want to take a look
          > at their head tube and see if they're having the same thing happen?

          I haven't noticed any rub issues on my Dummy yet but I recently set up
          a Karate Monkey for my new off-road commute & the cables rubbed the
          paint down to bare metal in under two weeks. I think it's more of an
          issue with Surly's crappy paint than with abrasive cables (although I
          did use Jagwire cable). I put some clear tape meant for chain slap
          protection on the spots where the cables rub to prevent any further
          problems.

          Robert Tilley
          San Diego, CA