Superhooks x Magic Carpet collabo: how to?

  • Steve Lange
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 6, 2011
      Hi All-

      Got my new Big Dummy today and am stoked out of my mind. It's such a huge upgrade from my old reliable Xtracycle. Here's a photo of how it came home from the shop, for anyone interested: http://i.imgur.com/6IBSb.jpg

      So, the Flight Deck is cool but my kids want their Magic Carpet back. All well and good but as others have noted on this list in the past, the Snapdeck doesn't stay as locked in on the Big Dummy as it is on the Xtracycle, so I need to do something to tighten things up back there.

      I like the Superhooks that came with the Flight Deck but haven't yet worked out how I would use them *and* the Magic Carpet at the same time. I know others have used cam straps to pull the v-racks together, I guess I could go that route but it's kind of a hack. Any other bright ideas to recommend?

      I was skeptical of the new Freeloader bags but having seen and now used them in person, I'm totally sold. The hypalon (?) lining looks nice, I've got that on an old Timbuk2 bag that's going on 10yrs old now and it works great. Anyways, they're very nice and I'm really into them.

      Overall the Big Dummy is awesome. I really like the Surly Open Bars (with 40mm rise) that I swapped the stock bars for. Don't bang my knees in turns like the Albatross bars on my slightly undersized X conversion. Lots more tweaks to follow but this thing is just fantastic, highly recommend it to anyone on the fence about the Big Dummy!

      Thanks,

      Steve Lange
      Santa Barbara, CA
    • Steve Lange

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 7, 2011
          On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 11:17 PM, Steve Lange <steve@...> wrote:
          > Got my new Big Dummy today and am stoked out of my mind. It's such a huge upgrade from my old reliable Xtracycle. Here's a >photo of how it came home from the shop, for anyone interested: http://i.imgur.com/6IBSb.jpg

          Congrats on your 2011 Big Dummy. I love my 2011 BD, but I have one
          small complaint. The metal tubing for the head tube seems to be finely
          ribbed rather than smooth, and for whatever reason, the cable housings
          for my brakes and derailleurs have been steadily removing the gloss,
          and now the paint from that surface. You can now see bare metal in one
          particular quarter inch by quarter inch square where the front disk
          brake cable housing rubs as it heads down toward the fork. I have
          about 650 miles of urban riding on this frame.

          I've never experienced this before. I don't expect that this is
          particularly abrasive, super tough cable housing? It says 'Jagwire'.
          Very strange. Does anybody else with a 2011 Dummy want to take a look
          at their head tube and see if they're having the same thing happen?
        • Steve Fuller
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 7, 2011
            On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 8:39 AM, David Backeberg <dbackeberg@...> wrote:

            Congrats on your 2011 Big Dummy. I love my 2011 BD, but I have one
            small complaint. The metal tubing for the head tube seems to be finely
            ribbed rather than smooth, and for whatever reason, the cable housings
            for my brakes and derailleurs have been steadily removing the gloss,
            and now the paint from that surface. You can now see bare metal in one
            particular quarter inch by quarter inch square where the front disk
            brake cable housing rubs as it heads down toward the fork. I have
            about 650 miles of urban riding on this frame.

            I took a roll of black electrical tape and placed pieces of it over potential cable rub spots. It doesn't stick out too bad.

            Steve
          • Rob Glover
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 7, 2011
              I've always used clear tape to accomplish this task. Most of my bikes have it in various rub spots.

              It mis-matches the paint a bit on my Big Dummy because the road grime doesn't stick to the taped spots quite as well, they look a bit shiny and clean in comparison to the rest of the bike.

              FatRob
              On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 8:39 AM, David Backeberg <dbackeberg@...> wrote:

              Congrats on your 2011 Big Dummy. I love my 2011 BD, but I have one
              small complaint. The metal tubing for the head tube seems to be finely
              ribbed rather than smooth, and for whatever reason, the cable housings
              for my brakes and derailleurs have been steadily removing the gloss,
              and now the paint from that surface. You can now see bare metal in one
              particular quarter inch by quarter inch square where the front disk
              brake cable housing rubs as it heads down toward the fork. I have
              about 650 miles of urban riding on this frame.

              I took a roll of black electrical tape and placed pieces of it over potential cable rub spots. It doesn't stick out too bad.

              Steve

            • Robert Tilley
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 23, 2011
                On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 6:39 AM, David Backeberg <dbackeberg@...> wrote:
                > Congrats on your 2011 Big Dummy. I love my 2011 BD, but I have one
                > small complaint. The metal tubing for the head tube seems to be finely
                > ribbed rather than smooth, and for whatever reason, the cable housings
                > for my brakes and derailleurs have been steadily removing the gloss,
                > and now the paint from that surface. You can now see bare metal in one
                > particular quarter inch by quarter inch square where the front disk
                > brake cable housing rubs as it heads down toward the fork. I have
                > about 650 miles of urban riding on this frame.
                >
                > I've never experienced this before. I don't expect that this is
                > particularly abrasive, super tough cable housing? It says 'Jagwire'.
                > Very strange. Does anybody else with a 2011 Dummy want to take a look
                > at their head tube and see if they're having the same thing happen?

                I haven't noticed any rub issues on my Dummy yet but I recently set up
                a Karate Monkey for my new off-road commute & the cables rubbed the
                paint down to bare metal in under two weeks. I think it's more of an
                issue with Surly's crappy paint than with abrasive cables (although I
                did use Jagwire cable). I put some clear tape meant for chain slap
                protection on the spots where the cables rub to prevent any further
                problems.

                Robert Tilley
                San Diego, CA