Re: [rootsradicals] Sun MTX-33 for Big Dummy build?

  • Vik Banerjee
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 28, 2011
      A spoked wheel that is appropriate for your needs and that is built by an expert wheel builder shouldn't need any maintenance. I check my wheels once a year and unless something extreme has happened [ramming curbs or crazy pot holes] they don't need to be touched at all. Spoked wheels are lighter, much cheaper and can be repaired. Aerospokes do break if you something extreme happens and when they do it's time to replace them.

      I used to have problems with spoked wheels until I started using the right folks to build 'em for me. I haven't so much as broken a spoke in a decade of hard use.

      The only benefit to Aerospokes is bling. They provide that in spades if they are your thing.

      safe riding,

      On 2011-09-28, at 9:27 AM, Steve Lange wrote:

      Hi Tone-

      Thanks for the reply. I'm very familiar with your sweet Aerospoke X, seen it here on this message list before. It was a very nice ride.

      For me, since my X (and soon to be Big Dummy) are my primary transportation, a non-dynamo solution is not really a solution. But other than that, I like Aerospokes pretty darn well and think they look super cool.

      I placed my deposit on the Big Dummy yesterday and will posts links to photos here once it comes in and is built. Ended up going with the MTX-33s which I think will work out just fine. The rest of the build will be pretty much stock per the complete, except I'm going with a Surly Open Bar and a couple other minor tweaks.  Very excited!!!

      Steve Lange
      Santa Barbara, CA