Hoodie users and other questions

  • weezerbot4
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 4, 2011
      Hi everyone, I'm new here and have been pondering several months now about moving to a cargo bike and what one. After much reflection of my budget, I'm ready to move forward and have decided to start with a 90's Trek donor MTB and the xtracycle Freeradical. But I have a couple of questions.....

      I'm very interested in picking up the hoodie...that system just looks more appealing to me and I like the design of the bags better than the Freeloaders - but - I'm concerned about the usefulness of the top rack. I don't have kids but I fully intend to carry my husband, and vice-versa around the neighborhood occasionally....I'm not sure the 'light' plastic top included will be enough. Should I just pony up the cash for the 'classic' kit and live with the Freeloaders? Is there something folks have made to upgrade the top rack? Should I stick with the hoodie and just pay extra for the upgraded deck? I'm really interested to hear of anyone who has real-world experiences with the hoodie system...not a lot of reviews out there.

      My second question involved the Yuba Stand Alone kickstand...I've heard the horror stories about the xtracycle stand so I've been looking at the Stand Alone. Anyone using this on their xtracycle? Compatible?

      My third question is P-Rack vs V-Rack...I have panniers, but one reason I'm moving to this system is that it just seems far more useful for groceries, etc. On the website it states that the P-Racks are better if you plan on carrying people or a lot of heavy items on the top rack. Worth the extra cost, or should V-Racks get me through?

      My cargo breakdown will be:

      85% commuting and running errands
      15% touring, most on road, some dirt

      Thanks everyone!
    • Edward Hensley
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 5, 2011
        Weezer--I can't compare, but I've been consistently pleased and amazed with my classic setup (on Big Dummy) after 1.5 yrs of regular use. I have used the complete standard set up of Freeloaders to haul commercial laundrybags (60+lb), groceries, and my wife (some but not all at same time). And I just did my first bike camping trip. I wanted to use existing gear and the existing bike setup--no additional cost. That meant hauling an Arctic expedition tent and heavy camera equipment. It took some trail and error packing and stowing (I used dry bags I had around) to get everything to balance and tighten down, but I rode beautifully once I did, including some very steep access trails and single-track. The cross-strapping of the Freeloaders along with their toughness made the difference. The only thing I added was a bungie net across the snap deck and some small bungies to hold in sandals and to tighten the end nets.

        The main missing piece on that trip was a free-standing kickstand. It's sometimes awkward with just the standard one-sided one, but not a big issue except with loading or unloading very large loads. I'm excited that I got a Kickback for a present and can't wait to install it and have that freedom and flexibility. I see that it's had some apparent redesigning--and the video on Xtracycle's site shows a nifty retrofit using old handlebars for added stability.

        Ed

        On Oct 4, 2011, at 11:16 PM, weezerbot4 wrote:

        > 'm very interested in picking up the hoodie...that system just looks more appealing to me and I like the design of the bags better than the Freeloaders - but - I'm concerned about the usefulness of the top rack. I don't have kids but I fully intend to carry my husband, and vice-versa around the neighborhood occasionally....I'm not sure the 'light' plastic top included will be enough. Should I just pony up the cash for the 'classic' kit and live with the Freeloaders? Is there something folks have made to upgrade the top rack? Should I stick with the hoodie and just pay extra for the upgraded deck? I'm really interested to hear of anyone who has real-world experiences with the hoodie system...not a lot of reviews out there.
        >
        > My second question involved the Yuba Stand Alone kickstand...I've heard the horror stories about the xtracycle stand so I've been looking at the Stand Alone. Anyone using this on their xtracycle? Compatible?
      • Steve Lange
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 6, 2011
          Been using the Kickback for about a year and a half (maybe longer?) and it's absolutely great.... never had anything remotely approaching a horror story while using it to haul my two kids around. It's a night-and-day improvement over the kickstand. Solid centerstands like the Kickback should be standard equipment on any longtail IMHO.

          The Hoodie looks nice but from pictures it seems the pockets will carry much less cargo than the traditional Freeloader bags. Also, since the v-racks are hidden by the Hoodie, you can't loop cargo straps through them to cinch loads down... another strike against the Hoodie, in my view. It's a nice idea, and looks cute, but I think compromises too much functionality. For me, that's the entire and only purpose of an Xtracycle.

          Good luck whatever you decide,

          Steve Lange
          Santa Barbara, CA

          On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 12:30 PM, Edward Hensley <edwardhensley@...> wrote:
          Weezer--I can't compare, but I've been consistently pleased and amazed with my classic setup (on Big Dummy) after 1.5 yrs of regular use. I have used the complete standard set up of Freeloaders to haul commercial laundrybags (60+lb), groceries, and my wife (some but not all at same time). And I just did my first bike camping trip. I wanted to use existing gear and the existing bike setup--no additional cost. That meant hauling an Arctic expedition tent and heavy camera equipment. It took some trail and error packing and stowing (I used dry bags I had around) to get everything to balance and tighten down, but I rode beautifully once I did, including some very steep access trails and single-track. The cross-strapping of the Freeloaders along with their toughness made the difference. The only thing I added was a bungie net across the snap deck and some small bungies to hold in sandals and to tighten the end nets.

          The main missing piece on that trip was a free-standing kickstand. It's sometimes awkward with just the standard one-sided one, but not a big issue except with loading or unloading very large loads. I'm excited that I got a Kickback for a present and can't wait to install it and have that freedom and flexibility. I see that it's had some apparent redesigning--and the video on Xtracycle's site shows a nifty retrofit using old handlebars for added stability.

          Ed

          On Oct 4, 2011, at 11:16 PM, weezerbot4 wrote:

          > 'm very interested in picking up the hoodie...that system just looks more appealing to me and I like the design of the bags better than the Freeloaders - but - I'm concerned about the usefulness of the top rack. I don't have kids but I fully intend to carry my husband, and vice-versa around the neighborhood occasionally....I'm not sure the 'light' plastic top included will be enough. Should I just pony up the cash for the 'classic' kit and live with the Freeloaders? Is there something folks have made to upgrade the top rack? Should I stick with the hoodie and just pay extra for the upgraded deck? I'm really interested to hear of anyone who has real-world experiences with the hoodie system...not a lot of reviews out there.
          >
          > My second question involved the Yuba Stand Alone kickstand...I've heard the horror stories about the xtracycle stand so I've been looking at the Stand Alone. Anyone using this on their xtracycle? Compatible?

          <*> Your email settings:
             Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
             (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
             rootsradicals-digest@yahoogroups.com

             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • weezerbot4
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 6, 2011
            Thank you everyone for your real world opinions. I went ahead and bit the bullet yesterday and ordered the classic kit with the Freeloaders. Unfortunately that extra money spent on the kit took anything I had away from picking up the kickstand but hopefully soon. I'm a massage therapist and I do a lot of corporate chair massage events, so I'm really looking forward to being able to use my bike more for work to the closer locations.

            Cheers,
            Heidi

          • gear.head@verizon.net
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 18, 2011
              I would agree I have used the kickback on my BD and Xtracycle before that with no incidents. Like any device common sense solves most issues.
              Sean

              From: Steve Lange <steve@...>
              Sender: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 09:49:49 -0700