Rohloff's Speedhub available w/ 36 holes begining October 2011...

  • speedub_nate
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 28, 2011
      (Apologies to those of you who also subscribe to the Double Forte tandem group -- I'm just cuttin' 'n pastin' what I posted there...)

      http://www.bikestation.fi/info/en/news/article/rohloff-speedhub-50014-goes-36/

      I couldn't vet the above link anywhere else, including on Rohloff's own website (http://www.rohloff.de), but supposedly in response to e-bike enthusiasts, the Speedhub will be produced with 36 holes.

      While there are a handful of reports of 32-hole Speedhub failures under tandem usage -- due purportedly to material defects -- my 32-holers have been OK on both the tandem and the cargo bike.

      Nevertheless, this is definitely a welcome update to the original 12 year old design, since the Rohloff guts are definitely up to the challenge of heavier loads.
    • David Dannenberg
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2011
        I don't remember whether I just saw this on Rootsrads or Internal Hub group.

        48 spoke Rohloff ($50 conversion):http://www.rideyourbike.com/48spokerohloff.shtml

        David Dannenberg
      • Vik Banerjee
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 1, 2011
          I've got many years of rear loading cargo biking and some dirt road touring on a 32H Rohloff wheel with zero issues. The symmetrical wheel you get with a Rohloff is very strong with 32 spokes.

          safe riding,

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 5, 2011
            No doubt, same here with not a single failure or mechanical issue since 2001.

            However, had the opportunity presented itself, I would have gladly opted for the 36H version on both the tandem and the Xtracycle. In fact, I'd probably even do the same on my solo bikes, where I could potentially get away with a lighter-than-normal rim.

            - Nate