Re: [rootsradicals] 700c xtra vs 26"

  • Ben Rosenthal
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 26, 2011
      I bought a set of risers a while back but haven't been able to get them to fit into my V-rack ends. Need I be concerned about trying to hammer them in? Is that usually necessary?

      On 26 Sep 2011, at 13:32, laughter medicine wrote:

      yes ,that is the only difference in the frame but you will need the v rack risers that lift the snap deck up high enough to clear the bigger wheel.  I'm told 4 stacks of quarters will work but never tried it. Ha!  Laughter

    • Phil Nuttall
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 27, 2011
        To lift my snap deck clear of my 700c tyres, I wrapped two metal nuts in tape. They worked a treat. Later, I bought some proper adjustable end caps. I heated the tubing a bit before knocking the ends in place. They were still a very tight fit and I had to take care of putting them in straight/square.

        Good luck.

        Sent: Tuesday, September 27, 2011 1:31 AM
        Subject: Re: [rootsradicals] 700c xtra vs 26"

        I bought a set of risers a while back but haven't been able to get them to fit into my V-rack ends. Need I be concerned about trying to hammer them in? Is that usually necessary?

        On 26 Sep 2011, at 13:32, laughter medicine wrote:

        yes ,that is the only difference in the frame but you will need the v rack risers that lift the snap deck up high enough to clear the bigger wheel.  I'm told 4 stacks of quarters will work but never tried it. Ha!  Laughter

      • anthonyeberger
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 27, 2011
          standard 1/2 inch copper plumbing tubing works like a charm too and should cost far less that 4 bucks. The only problem is remembering to clean out the xtra after rain because the copper (and I would suspect the quarters) block the weep holes.

          Cheers

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, laughter medicine <laughter.medicine@...> wrote:

          > yes ,that is the only difference in the frame but you will need the v rack
          > risers that lift the snap deck up high enough to clear the bigger wheel.
          > I'm told 4 stacks of quarters will work but never tried it. Ha! Laughter
          >
          > On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 1:20 PM, anthonyeberger <anthonyeberger@...>wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > I could be wrong but I don't think there was a difference other than the
          > > mounting point. I bought my freeRed used and it was a 26 that I was able to
          > > use the brake adapter with to run a 700c.
          > >
          > > Tony B
          > > Riverwest WI
          > >
          > > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "BrianL" <laplander@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Besides the brake mounting posts, is there a difference between a 700c
          > > freeradical and a 26" freeradical? Thanks

        • laughter medicine
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 30, 2011
            i recall carving mine a bit before pounding them in.
          • Robert Kinstler
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 30, 2011
              I found that I could only hammer them in after I had heated the radial
              "fins" and the tube with a heat gun. Even then, they ended up
              off-center and I had to grind them flush with the tube to get it to
              slide in. BTW, what's the point of making them with 2 threaded parts
              without a lock nut? Luckily, I just bought a box of elevator bolts that
              came with M6 nuts. I needed an elevator bolt to make up for the lack of
              a French Nut design on my 2001 F.R. I've got about 23 spares in case
              anybody with an old F.R. would like to run their chain close to the
              dropouts.