Re: [rootsradicals] Sun MTX-33 for Big Dummy build?

  • Steve Lange
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 26, 2011
      Thanks Vic... most appreciate the input as always!! :-)

      My theory is that 32h is surely fine, but 36h certainly won't hurt, and the cost difference of choosing one over the other is negligible. I know myself well enough to know that having mismatched rims between the front and rear will make my OCD go bonkers, and as this will be my primary transportation, it's worth it to me to have it the way I want it.

      Also the LBS is working with me to credit some of the cost of the stock wheelset against the custom wheelset, so it'll hopefully be "just a few dollars more"... which over the anticipated life of my BD won't bother me a bit.

      I've been following the Big Dummy with huge anticipation since prior to its release, so I'm getting pretty excited at the thought of finally throwing my leg over one of my very own. My current Xtracycle is based on a (now) slightly too-small Kona Lava Dome that I bought as a teenager in 1992, and has huge sentimental value, but the flex I feel every time I've got my two growing boys on the back tells me that it's time to move on... onwards and upwards!

      Thanks,

      Steve

      On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 4:39 PM, Vik Banerjee <threeohm@...> wrote:

      Steve your rear BD wheel will take far more abuse than the front so you don't need a heavy duty rim up front. I've got a 32H Mavic XC MTB rim up front that has been trouble free through years of heavy cargo hauling and rough roads touring.

      On the rear I've got a 32H freeride MTB rim with an IGH.

      If you just want to use a dynohub you could keep the stock rear wheel for now and see how you like it. You can't really see the back wheel on a BD so it shouldn't matter too much that it's not the same as the front.

      Up front any MTB rim will be just fine for the loads it will see.

      safe riding,

      On 2011-09-26, at 4:33 PM, Steve Lange wrote:

      Hi All-

      Well after 3+ years of very happy Xtracycling, I'm seriously considering an upgrade to a Big Dummy. Most likely going to go with the complete available thru QBP, but plan to swap out the stock wheelset for something using the new Alfine 36h dynamo.

      Was hoping I could get some recommendations for rims to use... currently have Sun Rhyno Lites on my X and love them, but would like a disc-only option (so I can keep the black-on-black-on-black color theme going).

      So how about the Sun MTX-33? I plan to continue using Continental Town & Country 2.1s (as spec'ed on the complete and used on my current X build).

      Thanks in advance,

      Steve Lange
      Santa Barbara, CA

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 28, 2011
        Steve,
        Have you ever considered Aerospokes? If you do not know what they are,
        then they are those carbon fiber five-spoke wheels. You can get them in
        rim or disc brake versions, and you can even get them in some other
        colors other than black/grey. Aerospokes are what I have had for several
        years. I went through two or three Xtracycles on my now broken Univega FS
        150 mountain bike frame with the Aerospokes, and when I upgraded to my
        Big Dummy I switched over the Aerospokes as well. They held up the whole
        time, although I did upgrade them from rim brake to disc brakes at one
        time, which meant only part of the hub had to be swapped out.
        Admittedly they are pretty pricey, but I think they are worth it. Apart
        from sheer strength (and I have hauled quite some cargo loads), they also
        never need truing! That is something that is important to me because I
        prefer low-maintenance options so there are fewer problems to deal with
        out on the road.
        Low maintenance became important to me while doing some distance touring
        and working as a bike messenger back in New York City. While
        messengering, I also realized another convenient aspect to the
        Aerospokes. They make it a heck of a lot easier to run a chain through
        them when locking and unlocking a bike frame and front wheel repeatedly
        all through the course of a work day. In New York messengers generally
        all use 3’ long Kryptonite style chains, so when passing the heavy links
        through conventional spokes about fifty times a day normal spokes take a
        real beating. I am now living in York, PA and am not a messenger, so I do
        not need to lock up so many times a day, but I still use my chain because
        my Big Dummy is a big investment as well as my only personal means of
        transportation.
        Like you mentioned, I too have a bit of OCD in me, and I like how sharp
        and high tech the Aerospokes look. The only real drawback to using
        Aerospokes I have noticed are them not being compatible with generator
        hubs or certain conventional-spoke-attached accessories like reflectors
        or special lights. Other than that I think they are awesome.
        Here are a bunch of photos of my Univega/Xtracycle and later My Big Dummy
        over the years in time order with the same Aerospokes (but different hubs
        due to disc brake upgrade):
        http://www.cranksgiving.net/XtraLoads/CostcoTypical-10-18-03-.jpg
        http://www.cranksgiving.net/XtraLoads/XmasTree-12-11-03.jpg
        http://www.cranksgiving.net/XtraLoads/WifeMoveSuticases-Side.jpg
        http://www.cranksgiving.net/XtraLoads/LunarLoad-Angle.jpg
        http://www.cranksgiving.net/XtraLoads/OldXtracycle&WifesBike.jpg
        http://www.cranksgiving.net/XtraDownLowGlow/DLG-LitOnPorch.jpg
        http://www.cranksgiving.net/XtraDogChariot/DogChariot-Full.jpg

        Enjoy, and ride safe,
        _TONE_
      • Steve Lange
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 28, 2011
          Hi Tone-

          Thanks for the reply. I'm very familiar with your sweet Aerospoke X, seen it here on this message list before. It was a very nice ride.

          For me, since my X (and soon to be Big Dummy) are my primary transportation, a non-dynamo solution is not really a solution. But other than that, I like Aerospokes pretty darn well and think they look super cool.

          I placed my deposit on the Big Dummy yesterday and will posts links to photos here once it comes in and is built. Ended up going with the MTX-33s which I think will work out just fine. The rest of the build will be pretty much stock per the complete, except I'm going with a Surly Open Bar and a couple other minor tweaks.  Very excited!!!

          Steve Lange
          Santa Barbara, CA

          <*> Your email settings:
             Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
             (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
             rootsradicals-digest@yahoogroups.com

             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Vik Banerjee
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 28, 2011
            A spoked wheel that is appropriate for your needs and that is built by an expert wheel builder shouldn't need any maintenance. I check my wheels once a year and unless something extreme has happened [ramming curbs or crazy pot holes] they don't need to be touched at all. Spoked wheels are lighter, much cheaper and can be repaired. Aerospokes do break if you something extreme happens and when they do it's time to replace them.

            I used to have problems with spoked wheels until I started using the right folks to build 'em for me. I haven't so much as broken a spoke in a decade of hard use.

            The only benefit to Aerospokes is bling. They provide that in spades if they are your thing.

            safe riding,