Adapting V-Rack to carry pannier

  • Bob Chmara
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 25, 2011
      Has anyone adapted a V-Rack to carry panniers? I have an Ortlieb Office Bag
      that I like for carrying my work related stuff. I'm not completely opposed
      to buying a P-Rack, but if I can easily and inexpensively adapt the V-Rack,
      that would be my preference.

      Thanks,
      Bob Chmara
      Southfield, Michigan, USA
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 26, 2011
        I have not tried it myself, but I would think some hose clamps and a
        metal rod, bar, or cable would work easily enough. Just bend the rod
        using a vise or something into a shape that looks like a giant long
        staple. The length of the “staple” would be the space between the front
        and rear V-rack posts. A solution like this should only probably cost
        around $10 from Lowes or Home Depot, etc.
        One possible issue I would think might occur is if you do not get the
        length accurate enough (like misjudging the bending of the metal, etc.)
        then you might end up tightening the hose clamps down in such a way that
        the bar pulls the V-rack posts together. That could result in it being
        difficult to easily install or remove them from the mounts. Therefore you
        would have to unscrew the hose clamps every time you want to remove the
        V-racks. Obviously that is not a big issue if you are planning it to be a
        semi-permanent solution.
        Keep in mind though; having a retrofitted pannier mount might make it
        unsuitable to use the freeloaders. I have a nice water proof set of
        Ortlieb panniers, so I also know that when mounted they need a back rest
        to lean against so they do not swing into the wheel. Considering a home
        made solution might negate the usage of freeloaders you may also have to
        set up some way for a pannier not to swing back toward the rear. Forming
        the metal “staple” into more or a rectangular shape might do the trick
        easily enough. That would also create a pretty solid bumper to keep cargo
        from pushing into your wheel if you are ever hauling stuff on your wide
        loaders without the freeloaders.
        Another issue to consider is what kind of metal you will be using. Make
        sure to buy higher quality stainless steel or nautical-grade hose clamps
        as well as an aluminum or properly coated ferrous bar. Otherwise you will
        just be asking for rust to develop.
        I hope my idea helps. Let us know what you come up with.
        _TONE_
      • Vik Banerjee
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 26, 2011
          What about carrying the Ortlieb bag in the Freeloader without any modification?

          Safe riding,

          Vik

          Sent from my iPhone