Re: [rootsradicals] Disc rotor

  • bruce kahn
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 19, 2011
      180

      bruce kahn
      West Chester, PA
      610.331.3503

      On Sep 19, 2011, at 5:17 PM, Mark Brenner wrote:

      What's the correct size? 160 mm is to small...

      ~marko

    • Michael Meyer
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 19, 2011
        Mine is 185mm, think you can go to 203mm
      • Steve Fuller
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 19, 2011
          Next size up from 160 would be 185, and then 203 for the largest size that I know of.

          Steve
        • Mark Brenner
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 19, 2011
            Thanks!! Got a bike with 160 mm  disc brakes and the instal didn't work lokal bike shops just look at me in disbelief.,, I was frustrated today... No one had that size in stock... Sorry to go off topic bug I was looking for an answer and roots rad came through...
            Now I'm waiting on the rebuild I hate the subway!

            ~marko

            On Sep 19, 2011, at 19:53, Steve Fuller <sfuller@...> wrote:

            Next size up from 160 would be 185, and then 203 for the largest size that I know of.

            Steve

          • Rich W
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 19, 2011
              On what bike?

              Disk rotor size required is typically dependent on the caliper mount/adapter that is used to install the disc caliper on the fork. I have read of Big Dummys using front calipers from 160mm to the 203mm size depending on the parts used to install the disc brake calipers.

              A quick measurement from the center of the wheel axle line to the top of the slot in the caliper should give you the maximum rotor radius then multiply x2 to get the diameter you need.

              Rich Wood

              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Mark Brenner <raymarko@...> wrote:

              > What's the correct size? 160 mm is to small...
              >
              > ~marko

            • Mark Brenner
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 19, 2011
                Used GT moto from ebay it had 160 mm disc b thought my life was complete but it was shy just want to order the right item
                Ya know the looks ya get at the bike shop with an X...
                I made some calls and they didn't have it in stock,
                So I'll sort tail it, for now... Thanks again

                ~marko

                On Sep 19, 2011, at 21:24, "Rich W" <astronut1001@...> wrote:

                On what bike?

                Disk rotor size required is typically dependent on the caliper mount/adapter that is used to install the disc caliper on the fork. I have read of Big Dummys using front calipers from 160mm to the 203mm size depending on the parts used to install the disc brake calipers.

                A quick measurement from the center of the wheel axle line to the top of the slot in the caliper should give you the maximum rotor radius then multiply x2 to get the diameter you need.

                Rich Wood

                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Mark Brenner <raymarko@...> wrote:

                > What's the correct size? 160 mm is to small...
                >
                > ~marko

              • Mark Brenner
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 19, 2011
                  On a free rad if I didn't mention...

                  ~marko

                  On Sep 19, 2011, at 21:24, "Rich W" <astronut1001@...> wrote:

                  On what bike?

                  Disk rotor size required is typically dependent on the caliper mount/adapter that is used to install the disc caliper on the fork. I have read of Big Dummys using front calipers from 160mm to the 203mm size depending on the parts used to install the disc brake calipers.

                  A quick measurement from the center of the wheel axle line to the top of the slot in the caliper should give you the maximum rotor radius then multiply x2 to get the diameter you need.

                  Rich Wood

                  --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Mark Brenner <raymarko@...> wrote:

                  > What's the correct size? 160 mm is to small...
                  >
                  > ~marko

                • ray marko
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 19, 2011
                    so 180/185 ? I don't think I need to go so big as 220,
                    I just want it to fit...( and stop in weather or not )
                    thanks for the input ...
                    ~m

                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 19, 2011
                      On a free radical, you want 203 rotor with a 160 mount. Yes, screwy, but that is what you want.

                      > On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 9:43 PM, Mark Brenner <raymarko@...> wrote:
                      > On a free rad if I didn't mention...

                      David
                    • ray marko
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 20, 2011
                        thanks David, was at the bike shop later saw it under tech faq...
                        ordered one today!