Re: good headlights w/out breaking the budget?

  • TIM_H
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 19 4:28 PM
      Yep the Magicshines are the best bang for the buck and as Wes said there were some issues with the earlier generation units,Those problems are resolved.Remember too they have several choices for lights and the 900 lumen is on the lower end of the brightness scale.

      Lights for your bike or helmet or head,it's all there.

      Everywhere I have read the vendor geomangear has a top rated reputation for taking care of customers and quick ship.Just a FYI as I have no affiliation with GeoManGear.

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, watrout@... wrote:

      > I've been using the Magicshines for a couple years now. There was a recall issue with the previous generation battery and the cable quality is less than spectacular but I have no plans to look elsewhere. These are tremendous lights for the price. As for the brightness, they are only 900 lumens at the highest setting, which I hardly us even on singletrack. There is a high, medium, low and 2 flashing modes so no you don't have to blind people with 900 lumens at all times. However even the low setting is very bright (bright enough to see by) so be curtious and don't point them out at eye level. That's not really a big issue though.
      >
      > Bottom line, the Magicshines are the best light dollars I've ever spent and I've tried quite a few lights.
      >
      > Good luck.
      >
      > Wes

    • Dave Lloyd
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 20 8:30 PM
        The link to Amazon is for the whole wheel. Take old wheel off, move tire, insert new wheel, run wire from light to dyno hub, done. Easy, easy.

        --dlloyd

        On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 15:39, epersonae2 <epersonae@...> wrote:

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Dave Lloyd <dave@...> wrote:
        > Speaking of which, just curious, what are your reasons for not wanting to go
        > with a dyno hub?

        Budget is a limiting factor for sure, but I also don't have a ton of expertise with bike repair, and I don't have a lot of time to play around with my commuting machine. (Volunteering, remodeling, writing, full time job, etc.) I can replace my brake pads and patch a tire, and I replaced my stem last week, but something as complex as a hub replacement is rather daunting. I don't have a very good space to work, either, just a carport packed with other stuff.

        If I had a windfall - or if I had other work that needed doing - I might take it in to one of the local bike shops, but as it is that's pretty unlikely right now.

        (The time/expertise/space issues are why I'm not likely to build my own light, either. Someday I'd like to learn soldering etc, but today is not that day.)