Re: [rootsradicals] Re: good headlights w/out breaking the budget?

    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 17, 2011
      On 2011-09-17, at 7:32 AM, TIM_H wrote:

      > Many a rider are using the Magicshine light set from GeoMan.The Magicshine is a good choice for those on a budget.Check em out:

      Is there anyway to throttle those back a little bit? 900 lumens is a lot of light; you don't want to get that in people's eyes.
      For comparison, I just upgraded to a 280-400 lumen system (depends on my speed, might hit 700 screaming down a hill) and it seems like a fabulous amount of light, and it also annoys the heck out of people when it is aimed wrong.

      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 17, 2011
        PPS flashing and strobing, just say no. If the headlight is on your handlebars, it's going to wiggle much more than any auto headlight, drivers will notice you. Helmet-mounted lights, even more so (helmet-mounted is not such a good idea in a snow storm, unless you enjoy looking at brightly-lit snow flakes and nothing else).

        David
      • Steve Fuller
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 17, 2011

          On Sep 17, 2011, at 7:06 AM, David Chase wrote:

          Is there anyway to throttle those back a little bit? 900 lumens is a lot of light; you don't want to get that in people's eyes.
          For comparison, I just upgraded to a 280-400 lumen system (depends on my speed, might hit 700 screaming down a hill) and it seems like a fabulous amount of light, and it also annoys the heck out of people when it is aimed wrong.

          Per the web site, the lights have 3 settings. They don't detail the number of lumens at each setting. It looks like some of their other lights come with a stepless dimmer that allows them to be adjusted from 5% at the low end to 100%. That was on a 1400 lumen light, so from 70 lumens up thru 1400. It would be interesting to see how they measure lumens to get their ratings.

          I'm in agreement that 900 lumens is a lot of light, especially if it's a big flood and not focused on the road and away from oncoming drivers' eyes.  I'm so used to the output and light pattern of my IQ Cyo on one of my bikes that am a bit annoyed with the pattern generated by my Dinotte's or the MiNewt (a much wider general flood).

          Steve
        • TIM_H
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 17, 2011
            David I would suggest reading the bike forums like bikeforums.net,Motoredbikes.com and any other well known bike sites to get answers and further information on the MagicShine lights.I havnt heard of any problems with 900 lumens thus far.I believe its in the adjustment of the lights that matter.

            Tim

          • watrout@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 18, 2011
              I've been using the Magicshines for a couple years now. There was a recall issue with the previous generation battery and the cable quality is less than spectacular but I have no plans to look elsewhere. These are tremendous lights for the price. As for the brightness, they are only 900 lumens at the highest setting, which I hardly us even on singletrack. There is a high, medium, low and 2 flashing modes so no you don't have to blind people with 900 lumens at all times. However even the low setting is very bright (bright enough to see by) so be curtious and don't point them out at eye level. That's not really a big issue though.

              Bottom line, the Magicshines are the best light dollars I've ever spent and I've tried quite a few lights.

              Good luck.

              Wes

            • Rich W
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 18, 2011
                Per Lumens output tests done by an independent lab I have seen posted as well as some by individuals posted on Bike Forums the actual output of the Magicshine is in the 500 to 600 Lumens range rather than the claimed 900. The LED is not heatsinked well enough, nor driven at maximum current level, to provide a true 900 Lumens. 900 Lumens is the LED manufacturers claimed output under laboratory test conditions I believe.

                Rich Wood

                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, watrout@... wrote:

                > I've been using the Magicshines for a couple years now. There was a recall issue with the previous generation battery and the cable quality is less than spectacular but I have no plans to look elsewhere. These are tremendous lights for the price. As for the brightness, they are only 900 lumens at the highest setting, which I hardly us even on singletrack. There is a high, medium, low and 2 flashing modes so no you don't have to blind people with 900 lumens at all times. However even the low setting is very bright (bright enough to see by) so be curtious and don't point them out at eye level. That's not really a big issue though.
                >
                > Bottom line, the Magicshines are the best light dollars I've ever spent and I've tried quite a few lights.
                >
                > Good luck.
                >
                > Wes

              • TIM_H
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 19, 2011
                  Yep the Magicshines are the best bang for the buck and as Wes said there were some issues with the earlier generation units,Those problems are resolved.Remember too they have several choices for lights and the 900 lumen is on the lower end of the brightness scale.

                  Lights for your bike or helmet or head,it's all there.

                  Everywhere I have read the vendor geomangear has a top rated reputation for taking care of customers and quick ship.Just a FYI as I have no affiliation with GeoManGear.

                  --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, watrout@... wrote:

                  > I've been using the Magicshines for a couple years now. There was a recall issue with the previous generation battery and the cable quality is less than spectacular but I have no plans to look elsewhere. These are tremendous lights for the price. As for the brightness, they are only 900 lumens at the highest setting, which I hardly us even on singletrack. There is a high, medium, low and 2 flashing modes so no you don't have to blind people with 900 lumens at all times. However even the low setting is very bright (bright enough to see by) so be curtious and don't point them out at eye level. That's not really a big issue though.
                  >
                  > Bottom line, the Magicshines are the best light dollars I've ever spent and I've tried quite a few lights.
                  >
                  > Good luck.
                  >
                  > Wes

                • Dave Lloyd
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 20, 2011
                    The link to Amazon is for the whole wheel. Take old wheel off, move tire, insert new wheel, run wire from light to dyno hub, done. Easy, easy.

                    --dlloyd

                    On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 15:39, epersonae2 <epersonae@...> wrote:

                    --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Dave Lloyd <dave@...> wrote:
                    > Speaking of which, just curious, what are your reasons for not wanting to go
                    > with a dyno hub?

                    Budget is a limiting factor for sure, but I also don't have a ton of expertise with bike repair, and I don't have a lot of time to play around with my commuting machine. (Volunteering, remodeling, writing, full time job, etc.) I can replace my brake pads and patch a tire, and I replaced my stem last week, but something as complex as a hub replacement is rather daunting. I don't have a very good space to work, either, just a carport packed with other stuff.

                    If I had a windfall - or if I had other work that needed doing - I might take it in to one of the local bike shops, but as it is that's pretty unlikely right now.

                    (The time/expertise/space issues are why I'm not likely to build my own light, either. Someday I'd like to learn soldering etc, but today is not that day.)