Breezer with Free Radical & NuVinci hub?

  • teej310
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2011
      I have a 2004 Breezer Uptown, an aluminum step-through frame, that I want to turn into an Xtracycle. I was planning on attaching the Free Radical and having a new rear wheel built, with the NuVinci 360 continuously variable transmission hub.

      There seems to be some debate about the suitability of step-through Breezers as donor bikes. When I order the Free Radical, will I need additional hardware to bolt it onto the Breezer? Mine has horizontal dropouts, and apparently I'm going to need some kind of chain tensioner. Is it structurally risky to turn a step-through bike into an Xtracycle? Anybody have experience using the NuVinci 360 in a similar rig?
    • todd
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2011

        We (Clever Cycles in Portland, OR) convert a lot of Breezers, mostly step-throughs. We've never had any structural issues. Email info@... a photo of your dropouts and any chaincase you may or may not have for possible caveats/tips. ("Breezer" dropouts with the little ears don't work.) NuVinci? no problem either.