I'm struggling to decide on a frame to fit my Xtracycle to - help!

  • nuttall_philip
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 22, 2011
      Hi folks,

      I've decided that a long-tail bike is going to be my do-it-all bike, (for shopping, commuting, beach trips and touring).

      I've used my xtracycle with a couple of bikes and noticed a big difference in rigidity between them. I'm certain the choice of bike frame is an important one. My current bike is worn-out I fancy getting a new one to attach the xtracycle kit to - either a Surly Long Haul Trucker or Troll, or possibly even a Big Dummy. I'm also thinking about an On-One steel mtb frame (as they're v.cheap here in the UK).

      As I said earlier, this will be my do-it-all bike and will probably be my last bike purchase for a long time, so I want to get it right. I'm test riding a Big dummy at weekend and looking at the LHT & Troll frame. I may also visit On-One to check out their frames.

      Has anyone any experience/advice with a Xtracycle'd LHT, Troll or Big Dummy compared to various other frames?

      Thanks in advance to everyone!
    • Steve Lange
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 22, 2011
        Big Dummy is going to be stiffer than any Xtracycle option, I don't think there's even a debate on that point. So if rigidity is the most important thing for you in choosing between the X and the BD, then you really only have one option ;-)

        That said, I've been using my X with an early 90s steel Kona MTB frame for over 3 years now and it's still trucking along just fine. If/when it fails, I will upgrade to a BD, but I'm not in any hurry. Works fine for taking the kids to school, commuting to work, running errands, going to the beach, etc. It does flex but I'm used to it and it really doesn't bother me.

        Steve
        Santa Barbara, CA

        On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 5:33 AM, nuttall_philip <nuttall_philip@...> wrote:
[...]

        <*> Your email settings:
           Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
           (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
           rootsradicals-digest@yahoogroups.com

           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • gear.head@verizon.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 22, 2011
          I was riding an xtracycle on an nice chromoly 80's mountain bike frame. It was great but now that I have my BD there is no comparison. It rides better, handles better and overall more enjoyable to ride. Especially if you are going to commit to a long tail arrangement and you are building from scratch. It is a no-brainer in my opinion to just step up to the BD.

          On a side note, if you are not entirely committed to long tail forever the troll is a great option. The head tech at the bike shop I bought my BD from, built one up at the same time I built my bike. He is VERY happy with it. He runs a internally geared set up and it has all the dedicated frame goodies for a clean install. Just food for thought (or more confusion).

          Sean

          From: Steve Lange <steve@...>
          Sender: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 08:15:02 -0600
          To: <rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com>
          ReplyTo: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: Re: [rootsradicals] I'm struggling to decide on a frame to fit my Xtracycle to - help!

[...]

        • sh8knj8kster
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 24, 2011
            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "nuttall_philip" <nuttall_philip@...> wrote:

            > Hi folks,
            >
            > I've decided that a long-tail bike is going to be my do-it-all bike, (for shopping, commuting, beach trips and touring).
            >
            > I've used my xtracycle with a couple of bikes and noticed a big difference in rigidity between them. I'm certain the choice of bike frame is an important one. My current bike is worn-out I fancy getting a new one to attach the xtracycle kit to - either a Surly Long Haul Trucker or Troll, or possibly even a Big Dummy. I'm also thinking about an On-One steel mtb frame (as they're v.cheap here in the UK).
            >
            > As I said earlier, this will be my do-it-all bike and will probably be my last bike purchase for a long time, so I want to get it right. I'm test riding a Big dummy at weekend and looking at the LHT & Troll frame. I may also visit On-One to check out their frames.
            >
            > Has anyone any experience/advice with a Xtracycle'd LHT, Troll or Big Dummy compared to various other frames?
            >
            > Thanks in advance to everyone!

            ~~~I rolled with a Surly LHT before fitting the X-set up to it. I put some pics up on a flickr set documenting the conversion here-

            http://www.flickr.com/photos/26137108@N04/sets/72157606078542750/

            the others made good points about you going straight to a big dummy since you're lookiong to start fresh but if you decide the long tail isn't for you, using a donor bike you think you'd like isn't a bad option as you can always pull off the X and go back to what the bike originally was

            I'm fairly happy with my LHT/X pkg, but if I had my druthers, I'd have both an LHT and a BD, or, and LHT and the new cargo bike J&B imports came out with not long ago. Complete here in the states it's just under $700 but lacks the X-Cycle panniers, pannier frames

            http://clevercycles.com/2011/06/02/sun-atlas-cargo/

            Best,

            Jake
            Reddick Fla.
            "Let those who don't want none have memories of not gettin' any."
            —Bro. David Gardner
          • Phil Nuttall
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 4, 2011
              Thought I'd conclude this topic:
              After test riding a Civia Halsted, the Big Dummy and the Yuba, I'm going for the Yuba. I surprised myself and loved it. I just have to decide on a discounted v3 or wait for v4.. in tangerine or black? Smile emoticon

              Thanks for everyone's input. (I'll be keeping my xtracycle as well of course! - can't have too many longtail bikes can you!)

              Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2011 7:08 AM

              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "nuttall_philip" <nuttall_philip@...> wrote:

              > Hi
              folks,

              > I've decided that a long-tail bike is going to be my
              do-it-all bike, (for shopping, commuting, beach trips and touring).

              > I've used my xtracycle with a couple of bikes and noticed a big
              difference in rigidity between them. I'm certain the choice of bike frame is an important one. My current bike is worn-out I fancy getting a new one to attach the xtracycle kit to - either a Surly Long Haul Trucker or Troll, or possibly even a Big Dummy. I'm also thinking about an On-One steel mtb frame (as they're v.cheap here in the UK).

              > As I said earlier, this will be my
              do-it-all bike and will probably be my last bike purchase for a long time, so I want to get it right. I'm test riding a Big dummy at weekend and looking at the LHT & Troll frame. I may also visit On-One to check out their frames.

              > Has anyone any experience/advice with a Xtracycle'd
              LHT, Troll or Big Dummy compared to various other frames?

              Thanks in advance to everyone!

              ~~~I rolled with a Surly LHT before fitting the X-set up to it. I put some pics up on a flickr set documenting the conversion here-

              http://www.flickr.com/photos/26137108@N04/sets/72157606078542750/

              the others made good points about you going straight to a big dummy since you're lookiong to start fresh but if you decide the long tail isn't for you, using a donor bike you think you'd like isn't a bad option as you can always pull off the X and go back to what the bike originally was

              I'm fairly happy with my LHT/X pkg, but if I had my druthers, I'd have both an LHT and a BD, or, and LHT and the new cargo bike J&B imports came out with not long ago. Complete here in the states it's just under $700 but lacks the X-Cycle panniers, pannier frames

              http://clevercycles.com/2011/06/02/sun-atlas-cargo/

              Best,

              Jake
              Reddick Fla.
              "Let those who don't want none have memories of not gettin' any."
              —Bro. David Gardner

            • TIM_H
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 5, 2011
                Congrats on the Yuba,it's probably the best bang for the buck in long tails.I have the Tangerine Yuba V4 and the color is a nice shade of orange.

                One advantage to the low price of the Yuba is you can add or change out parts should you want too without breaking the bank.Have fun!