Re: [rootsradicals] Big Apples on narrow rims, 50mm or 60mm?

  • Jeff Lesperance
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 8, 2011
      On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 4:39 AM, akatemik <akatemik@...> wrote:

      I've seen lot's of people chanting the joys of Schwalbe's Big Apples. In my xtra the rims are 17mm wide, but according to Schwalbe I still could get the widest apples, I only couldn't run the pressure as high. Then again, you can't pump the wider tires that high even on a wider rim, so the loss isn't that great on paper.

      So does anyone have experience which are better on an xtra (559mm diameter, if that matters): 50mm apples at 70psi (max tire pressure) or 60mm at 45psi (55 is the max on wider rims)?

      I'm currently riding Specialized Crossroads, which are pretty wide, almost 50mm, at 70psi. They have worked ok, but on a high pressure like that the almost sharp edges on crosswalks are pretty bad, especially when someone is sitting at the back. But on lower pressures the tires don't roll that well anymore :/. I was hoping that the almost legendary apples might be an improvement, but was thinking that the smaller ones aren't that much wider. Maybe there's something else to it than just pure width?

      I run Sun CR-18 rims on my X, which I believe are 22.5mm external width, 17mm internal width, with 60mm Big Apples. I've pumped them as high as 50 psi once and didn't have any problems, though negated the benefit of running this smooth and squishy tires. I generally pump them up to 40 - 45 psi but neglect checking the pressure until I really notice a difference in rolling resistance. This past week I noticed the front end feeling a bit squirrelly at higher speeds, checked tire pressure and found it was under 20 psi. I was comfortably riding them with no perceived drag even at that low psi, just a weird high-speed shimmy.