Chainrub?

  • ia_mystic
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 7, 2011
      New to the BD/Xtracycle scene and working on getting mine all built up.

      For those of you running a wider tire in back (2.3 - 2.5") with 3x9 gearing, what are you doing to avoid the chain rubbing on the tire in the lowest gear? Or is this not an issue?
    • Andrew Kreps
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 7, 2011
        On Sun, Aug 7, 2011 at 7:28 AM, ia_mystic <sfuller@...> wrote:
        > New to the BD/Xtracycle scene and working on getting mine all built up.
        >
        > For those of you running a wider tire in back (2.3 - 2.5") with 3x9 gearing, what are you doing to avoid the chain rubbing on the tire in the lowest gear? Or is this not an issue?

        I have a 3x9, and I ran 2.35" Big Apples for the first 3k miles,
        during which I never experienced chain rub. My friend runs the same
        gearing with the 2.5" Hookworms, and he doesn't experience it either.
        Make sure you get the drive side of your crank properly spaced.
      • jeff.lesperance@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 7, 2011
          I run a 3x9 and 2.35 Big Apples. With my original crank, an old Deore LX, I had no rub. I can't recall the bottom bracket I used. I switched the crankset out for a modern shimano hollowtech design, and had rub with the recommended spacer config of two on the drive side, one on the other. I ended up moving the spacers all to the drive side and now have no rub. If you have a crankset that has a regular bottom bracket, see if you can add a spacer to the drive side or get a bottom bracket with a longer spindle. If you have a hollowtech style crankset, move more or all spacers to the drive side.

          Or get smaller tires, but that's no fun.
          From: "ia_mystic" <sfuller@...>
          Sender: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2011 14:28:20 -0000
          To: <rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com>
          ReplyTo: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: [rootsradicals] Chainrub?

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 7, 2011
            Didn't have debilitating rubbing, and it was only in the lowest gear, so I just live with it till I got an internal hub.
            Living with it is vastly cheaper.

            David