Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Flight Deck and Whatchamacollars.

  • jj velvetackbar
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 5, 2011
      they ARE big enough, surprisingly. they won't cover down the full way if you have a LOT of stuff on the top of the deck, but otherwise, ti covers very well.

       I'll take a pic this weekend and send it out.

      JJ

      On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 11:04 AM, Andrew Kreps <andrew.kreps@...> wrote:

      On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 8:37 AM, Cara Lin Bridgman <shokulan@...> wrote:
      > That was my first thought about backpack covers: will they be big enough?

      I went the other route. Since my freeloader bags aren't waterproof
      from any angle, especially the wheel side, anything not
      water-resistant would disintegrate on my wet & wild rides home. I aim
      for the puddles.

      Hence, I put the items I wish to protect in a dry bag. I have
      something like this:
      http://www.rei.com/product/784149/sealline-black-canyon-dry-bag-20-liters
      -- it's very versatile, super lightweight and it has held up much
      better than I expected. I have two full winters of rides and even
      some kayaking with that bag and it's still as good as it was the day
      it was new. I picked it up on a whim with my 20% coupon, so it was
      just over $20. Plus, when I go to the grocery store I can just load
      it instead of yet another paper bag!

      I also have one of these I use for heavier duty items:
      http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_171928_-1___ --
      again, just over $20 but man can it hold a load. Heavier, yes, but it
      has a shoulder strap and fits perfectly on one side of the X.

    • Cara Lin Bridgman
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 5, 2011
        Quite a few times, the puddles have aimed for me.

        Dry bags work. Guaranteed. But, they're not flexible for different
        sizes and types of loads.

        CL

        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 5, 2011
          On 2011-08-05, at 9:27 PM, Cara Lin Bridgman wrote:

          > Quite a few times, the puddles have aimed for me.

          Which made me think of riding a bike, next to a car plowing through a puddle.
          Imagine walking up to someone on the sidewalk with a bucket of water and tossing it on them.
          Not socially acceptable behavior -- unless you're driving a car.

          David
        • Cara Lin Bridgman
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 6, 2011
            David Chase wrote:
            > On 2011-08-05, at 9:27 PM, Cara Lin Bridgman wrote:
            >
            >> Quite a few times, the puddles have aimed for me.
            >
            > David Chase wrote:
            > Which made me think of riding a bike, next to a car plowing through a puddle.
            > Imagine walking up to someone on the sidewalk with a bucket of water and tossing it on them.
            > Not socially acceptable behavior -- unless you're driving a car.

            Exactly! Made me mad as H$(#!

            Lots of socially unacceptable behavior becomes acceptable when you're in
            a car (or bigger). Interesting, the complete personality change.

            CL
            who has stopped cars so she could chew out the drivers (something she
            can only get away with doing in Taiwan).