Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Flight Deck and Whatchamacollars.

  • Cara Lin Bridgman
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 5, 2011
      That was my first thought about backpack covers: will they be big enough?

      CL

      ewilcox2 wrote:
      > So, how do these backpack covers fit? Do they stretch over the entire deck and both sides when bags are loaded? How far down the bags will they cover? If big enough, certainly looks like a good solution!
      >
      > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, jj velvetackbar <jj@...> wrote:
      >> these work very well:
      >>
      >> http://www.rei.com/product/778473/rei-ducks-back-rain-cover-100-liters
    • Andrew Kreps
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 5, 2011
        On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 8:37 AM, Cara Lin Bridgman <shokulan@...> wrote:
        > That was my first thought about backpack covers: will they be big enough?

        I went the other route. Since my freeloader bags aren't waterproof
        from any angle, especially the wheel side, anything not
        water-resistant would disintegrate on my wet & wild rides home. I aim
        for the puddles.

        Hence, I put the items I wish to protect in a dry bag. I have
        something like this:
        http://www.rei.com/product/784149/sealline-black-canyon-dry-bag-20-liters
        -- it's very versatile, super lightweight and it has held up much
        better than I expected. I have two full winters of rides and even
        some kayaking with that bag and it's still as good as it was the day
        it was new. I picked it up on a whim with my 20% coupon, so it was
        just over $20. Plus, when I go to the grocery store I can just load
        it instead of yet another paper bag!

        I also have one of these I use for heavier duty items:
        http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_171928_-1___ --
        again, just over $20 but man can it hold a load. Heavier, yes, but it
        has a shoulder strap and fits perfectly on one side of the X.
      • jj velvetackbar
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 5, 2011
          they ARE big enough, surprisingly. they won't cover down the full way if you have a LOT of stuff on the top of the deck, but otherwise, ti covers very well.

           I'll take a pic this weekend and send it out.

          JJ

          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 5, 2011
            Quite a few times, the puddles have aimed for me.

            Dry bags work. Guaranteed. But, they're not flexible for different
            sizes and types of loads.

            CL

            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 5, 2011
              On 2011-08-05, at 9:27 PM, Cara Lin Bridgman wrote:

              > Quite a few times, the puddles have aimed for me.

              Which made me think of riding a bike, next to a car plowing through a puddle.
              Imagine walking up to someone on the sidewalk with a bucket of water and tossing it on them.
              Not socially acceptable behavior -- unless you're driving a car.

              David
            • Cara Lin Bridgman
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 6, 2011
                David Chase wrote:
                > On 2011-08-05, at 9:27 PM, Cara Lin Bridgman wrote:
                >
                >> Quite a few times, the puddles have aimed for me.
                >
                > David Chase wrote:
                > Which made me think of riding a bike, next to a car plowing through a puddle.
                > Imagine walking up to someone on the sidewalk with a bucket of water and tossing it on them.
                > Not socially acceptable behavior -- unless you're driving a car.

                Exactly! Made me mad as H$(#!

                Lots of socially unacceptable behavior becomes acceptable when you're in
                a car (or bigger). Interesting, the complete personality change.

                CL
                who has stopped cars so she could chew out the drivers (something she
                can only get away with doing in Taiwan).