Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: Flight Deck and Whatchamacollars.

Expand Messages
  • ewilcox2
    So, how do these backpack covers fit? Do they stretch over the entire deck and both sides when bags are loaded? How far down the bags will they cover? If
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 5, 2011
    • 0 Attachment
      So, how do these backpack covers fit? Do they stretch over the entire deck and both sides when bags are loaded? How far down the bags will they cover? If big enough, certainly looks like a good solution!

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, jj velvetackbar <jj@...> wrote:
      >
      > these work very well:
      >
      > http://www.rei.com/product/778473/rei-ducks-back-rain-cover-100-liters
      >
      > We have them. I don't think they are going to help you if you try scuba
      > diving with them, but for NW rains, they are fine!
      >
      > JJ
      >
      > On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 9:01 AM, phaedrus at yahoo <yahoo@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >
      > >
      > > That sounds really nice.
      > >
      > > I somewhat lack in sewing talent and equipment, but I'm wondering - doesn't
      > > it leak through the stitching?
      > >
      > > Do you happen to have any pictures?
      > >
      > > - phaedrus
      > >
      > >
      > >
      > > On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 1:04 AM, Proxy <lists@...> wrote:
      > >
      > >> **
      > >>
      > >>
      > >> Re: tarp
      > >>
      > >> I bought two yards of bright yellow sport nylon and quilted it with some
      > >> 3mil garden plastic to make a tarp with dimentions roughly 44" x 29". I
      > >> sewed on D-rings onto each corner, and eight roughtly 14" lengths of inner
      > >> tube, one at each corner and two in the middle on either end of the 29"
      > >> dimention to make lashing straps.
      > >>
      > >> I attached eight p-clamps with 2-1/2" carriage bolts to the top and bottom
      > >> of the racks to make bosses. I lash the lengths of inner tube onto these
      > >> bosses just by buttoning the carriage bolt head thru a small hole sliced
      > >> length wise into the lash.
      > >>
      > >> This setup allows me to keep the middle four lashes always fastened, and
      > >> keeps my tarp from blowing away, even when I have one or both lower edges
      > >> unbuttoned to access my cargo.
      > >>
      > >> The only thing I don't have on it are reflectors. I need to reinforce the
      > >> sewing on almost all the parts of it. It got about 150 days of rainy use
      > >> between Sept and May this year.
      > >>
      > >>
      > >
      > >
      >
    • Cara Lin Bridgman
      That was my first thought about backpack covers: will they be big enough? CL
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 5, 2011
      • 0 Attachment
        That was my first thought about backpack covers: will they be big enough?

        CL

        ewilcox2 wrote:
        > So, how do these backpack covers fit? Do they stretch over the entire deck and both sides when bags are loaded? How far down the bags will they cover? If big enough, certainly looks like a good solution!
        >
        > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, jj velvetackbar <jj@...> wrote:
        >> these work very well:
        >>
        >> http://www.rei.com/product/778473/rei-ducks-back-rain-cover-100-liters
      • Andrew Kreps
        ... I went the other route. Since my freeloader bags aren t waterproof from any angle, especially the wheel side, anything not water-resistant would
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 5, 2011
        • 0 Attachment
          On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 8:37 AM, Cara Lin Bridgman <shokulan@...> wrote:
          > That was my first thought about backpack covers: will they be big enough?


          I went the other route. Since my freeloader bags aren't waterproof
          from any angle, especially the wheel side, anything not
          water-resistant would disintegrate on my wet & wild rides home. I aim
          for the puddles.

          Hence, I put the items I wish to protect in a dry bag. I have
          something like this:
          http://www.rei.com/product/784149/sealline-black-canyon-dry-bag-20-liters
          -- it's very versatile, super lightweight and it has held up much
          better than I expected. I have two full winters of rides and even
          some kayaking with that bag and it's still as good as it was the day
          it was new. I picked it up on a whim with my 20% coupon, so it was
          just over $20. Plus, when I go to the grocery store I can just load
          it instead of yet another paper bag!

          I also have one of these I use for heavier duty items:
          http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_171928_-1___ --
          again, just over $20 but man can it hold a load. Heavier, yes, but it
          has a shoulder strap and fits perfectly on one side of the X.
        • jj velvetackbar
          they ARE big enough, surprisingly. they won t cover down the full way if you have a LOT of stuff on the top of the deck, but otherwise, ti covers very well.
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 5, 2011
          • 0 Attachment
            they ARE big enough, surprisingly. they won't cover down the full way if you have a LOT of stuff on the top of the deck, but otherwise, ti covers very well.

             I'll take a pic this weekend and send it out.

            JJ

            On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 11:04 AM, Andrew Kreps <andrew.kreps@...> wrote:
             

            On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 8:37 AM, Cara Lin Bridgman <shokulan@...> wrote:
            > That was my first thought about backpack covers: will they be big enough?

            I went the other route. Since my freeloader bags aren't waterproof
            from any angle, especially the wheel side, anything not
            water-resistant would disintegrate on my wet & wild rides home. I aim
            for the puddles.

            Hence, I put the items I wish to protect in a dry bag. I have
            something like this:
            http://www.rei.com/product/784149/sealline-black-canyon-dry-bag-20-liters
            -- it's very versatile, super lightweight and it has held up much
            better than I expected. I have two full winters of rides and even
            some kayaking with that bag and it's still as good as it was the day
            it was new. I picked it up on a whim with my 20% coupon, so it was
            just over $20. Plus, when I go to the grocery store I can just load
            it instead of yet another paper bag!

            I also have one of these I use for heavier duty items:
            http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_171928_-1___ --
            again, just over $20 but man can it hold a load. Heavier, yes, but it
            has a shoulder strap and fits perfectly on one side of the X.

          • Cara Lin Bridgman
            Quite a few times, the puddles have aimed for me. Dry bags work. Guaranteed. But, they re not flexible for different sizes and types of loads. CL
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 5, 2011
            • 0 Attachment
              Quite a few times, the puddles have aimed for me.

              Dry bags work. Guaranteed. But, they're not flexible for different
              sizes and types of loads.

              CL

              Andrew Kreps wrote:
              > I went the other route. Since my freeloader bags aren't waterproof
              > from any angle, especially the wheel side, anything not
              > water-resistant would disintegrate on my wet & wild rides home. I aim
              > for the puddles.
            • David Chase
              ... Which made me think of riding a bike, next to a car plowing through a puddle. Imagine walking up to someone on the sidewalk with a bucket of water and
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 5, 2011
              • 0 Attachment
                On 2011-08-05, at 9:27 PM, Cara Lin Bridgman wrote:

                > Quite a few times, the puddles have aimed for me.

                Which made me think of riding a bike, next to a car plowing through a puddle.
                Imagine walking up to someone on the sidewalk with a bucket of water and tossing it on them.
                Not socially acceptable behavior -- unless you're driving a car.

                David
              • Cara Lin Bridgman
                ... Exactly! Made me mad as H$(#! Lots of socially unacceptable behavior becomes acceptable when you re in a car (or bigger). Interesting, the complete
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 6, 2011
                • 0 Attachment
                  David Chase wrote:
                  > On 2011-08-05, at 9:27 PM, Cara Lin Bridgman wrote:
                  >
                  >> Quite a few times, the puddles have aimed for me.
                  >
                  > David Chase wrote:
                  > Which made me think of riding a bike, next to a car plowing through a puddle.
                  > Imagine walking up to someone on the sidewalk with a bucket of water and tossing it on them.
                  > Not socially acceptable behavior -- unless you're driving a car.


                  Exactly! Made me mad as H$(#!

                  Lots of socially unacceptable behavior becomes acceptable when you're in
                  a car (or bigger). Interesting, the complete personality change.

                  CL
                  who has stopped cars so she could chew out the drivers (something she
                  can only get away with doing in Taiwan).
                Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.