Local/Cheap Replacement for Bolt That Goes with French Bolt

  • xtracycleinc
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2, 2011
      As will happen, an Xtracycler who took apart their FreeRad and bike to ship across the country lost one of the bolts in the French Nut/Bolt pair. He (and therefore we) are now wondering: Have any of you have had a similar experience and found a local/cheap way of replacing that bolt with something very similar (if not identical).

      We'd love to hear what you've come up with. Cheers!
    • Pete B
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2, 2011
        I found two quick release seatpost clamp bolts fitted the bill almost perfectly.
        529938_b83382d1c2d091effdf5898e21815495.jpg
        The (M5?) thread fitted the french nuts perfectly but one was about 4mm too long so protruded from the other side a little.

        It made for easier shipping of the X when I went to Europe as I only had to undo the bolt & nylock nut joining the tongue of the FreeRad and the FAP when putting it in the shipping box.

        On 3 August 2011 05:17, xtracycleinc <ross@...> wrote:

        As will happen, an Xtracycler who took apart their FreeRad and bike to ship across the country lost one of the bolts in the French Nut/Bolt pair. He (and therefore we) are now wondering: Have any of you have had a similar experience and found a local/cheap way of replacing that bolt with something very similar (if not identical).

        We'd love to hear what you've come up with. Cheers!

      • anthonyeberger
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 3, 2011
          THIS one post alone is why it is so great to be a part of this group.

          Talk about an excellent idea for anyone that has to transport their Xtra. I wish I'd have thought of this before we shipping my buddy's out to B.C.

          Nice Work Pete B!