Flight Deck and Whatchamacollars.

  • phaedrus at yahoo
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 2, 2011
      For quite some time I've been running with whatchamacollars, and one of the first gen tek decks.

      I just switched from the tek deck to the flight deck and  have to say that my first impression is "wow".  The cargo area feels so much more solid and rigid.  It'll be a pain if/when I have to take the racks off, but so far, riding with it feels awesome.

      Now all I need is some sort of small tarp-ish thing that attaches over the top of the deck and openings of the free loaders so I can keep the monsoons from filling up the freeloaders as quickly.

      Something wide enough to cover groceries on both sides but narrow enough that I can have it in place when one or both sides are mostly empty...

      Anyway, I've noted some concerns that people have had regarding the load on the bike being secure enough.  If the "tie down" effect of the freeloaders isn't enough, the whatchamacollars + flightdeck are certainly the cat's meow.

      Also, I'm digging the 2010 freeloader + p-rack combo that lets you pop a pannier on over the freeloaders.   For right now, that gives me the ability to get groceries in the rain.

      - phaedrus
    • Cara Lin Bridgman
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 2, 2011
        To keep my stuff from being flooded
        <http://megaview.com.tw/~caralin/Bike/CL%27sBike/100726-343UnderwaterBike2d.jpg>,
        I use my old rain cape:
        <http://megaview.com.tw/~caralin/Bike/CL%27sBike/090812-697Bike&RainCover.jpg>.

        CL

        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 3, 2011
          Nice!

          How do you secure at the bottom it so it doesn't get in the chain or wheels or flap up?

          Also, is that the drawstring that is attached to the rail on your saddle?

          - phaedrus

          On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 6:53 PM, Cara Lin Bridgman <shokulan@...> wrote:

          To keep my stuff from being flooded
          <http://megaview.com.tw/~caralin/Bike/CL%27sBike/100726-343UnderwaterBike2d.jpg>,
          I use my old rain cape:
          <http://megaview.com.tw/~caralin/Bike/CL%27sBike/090812-697Bike&RainCover.jpg>.

        • Proxy
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 3, 2011
            Re: tarp

            I bought two yards of bright yellow sport nylon and quilted it with some 3mil garden plastic to make a tarp with dimentions roughly 44" x 29". I sewed on D-rings onto each corner, and eight roughtly 14" lengths of inner tube, one at each corner and two in the middle on either end of the 29" dimention to make lashing straps.

            I attached eight p-clamps with 2-1/2" carriage bolts to the top and bottom of the racks to make bosses. I lash the lengths of inner tube onto these bosses just by buttoning the carriage bolt head thru a small hole sliced length wise into the lash.

            This setup allows me to keep the middle four lashes always fastened, and keeps my tarp from blowing away, even when I have one or both lower edges unbuttoned to access my cargo.

            The only thing I don't have on it are reflectors. I need to reinforce the sewing on almost all the parts of it. It got about 150 days of rainy use between Sept and May this year.
          • Cara Lin Bridgman
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 3, 2011
              Yes, that's the draw string attached to my saddle rail.

              I threaded an elastic cord all the way through the seam that edges the
              cape. I've not had any problem with it getting caught in the chain or
              blowing off. Usually, there's enough stuff in my free-loader bags to
              stop this. Also, for the past year or so, I've pretty much kept the
              right wide-loader installed. That, more than anything else, keeps the
              cape clear of the chain. The PU coating on the cape is pretty much
              gone, so water does get through, but it's damp, not soaking downpour.
              Most of the water runs off. Anyway, it sure beats repacking everything
              for drybags.

              For me, I use Integral Design's yellow rain cape
              <http://www.integraldesigns.com/product_detail.cfm?id=824&CFID=263897&CFTOKEN=80104125&mainproducttypeid=1>.
              There, too, I ran an elastic cord all the way through the seam. It
              keeps the cape from blowing up off me. To keep me dry to above the
              knees, I use the ULA rain wrap
              <http://www.ula-equipment.com/rainwrap.asp> and sit on the seam. The
              advantage of silnylon is that it is thin, to it's not too hot to wear in
              the rain.

              CL

              phaedrus at yahoo wrote:
              > Nice!
              >
              > How do you secure at the bottom it so it doesn't get in the chain or
              > wheels or flap up?
              >
              > Also, is that the drawstring that is attached to the rail on your saddle?
              >
              > - phaedrus
              >

              > On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 6:53 PM, Cara Lin Bridgman <shokulan@...
              > <mailto:shokulan@...>> wrote:
              >
              > To keep my stuff from being flooded
              > <http://megaview.com.tw/~caralin/Bike/CL%27sBike/100726-343UnderwaterBike2d.jpg>,
              >
              > I use my old rain cape:
              > <http://megaview.com.tw/~caralin/Bike/CL%27sBike/090812-697Bike&RainCover.jpg
              > <http://megaview.com.tw/~caralin/Bike/CL%27sBike/090812-697Bike&RainCover.jpg>>.

              Cara Lin Bridgman cara.lin@...
              cara.lin@...
              Longjing District http://www.BugDorm.com
              Taichung 43499
              Taiwan Phone: 886-4-2632-5484
            • phaedrus at yahoo
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 4, 2011
                That sounds really nice.

                I somewhat lack in sewing talent and equipment, but I'm wondering - doesn't it leak through the stitching?

                Do you happen to have any pictures?

                - phaedrus

                On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 1:04 AM, Proxy <lists@...> wrote:

[...]

              • jj velvetackbar
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 4, 2011
                  these work very well:

                  http://www.rei.com/product/778473/rei-ducks-back-rain-cover-100-liters

                  We have them. I don't think they are going to help you if you try scuba diving with them, but for NW rains, they are fine!

                  JJ

                  On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 9:01 AM, phaedrus at yahoo <yahoo@...> wrote:

[...]

                • ewilcox2
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 5, 2011
                    So, how do these backpack covers fit? Do they stretch over the entire deck and both sides when bags are loaded? How far down the bags will they cover? If big enough, certainly looks like a good solution!

                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 5, 2011
                      That was my first thought about backpack covers: will they be big enough?

                      CL

                      ewilcox2 wrote:
                      > So, how do these backpack covers fit? Do they stretch over the entire deck and both sides when bags are loaded? How far down the bags will they cover? If big enough, certainly looks like a good solution!
                      >
                      > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, jj velvetackbar <jj@...> wrote:
                      >> these work very well:
                      >>
                      >> http://www.rei.com/product/778473/rei-ducks-back-rain-cover-100-liters
                    • Andrew Kreps
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 5, 2011
                        On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 8:37 AM, Cara Lin Bridgman <shokulan@...> wrote:
                        > That was my first thought about backpack covers: will they be big enough?

                        I went the other route. Since my freeloader bags aren't waterproof
                        from any angle, especially the wheel side, anything not
                        water-resistant would disintegrate on my wet & wild rides home. I aim
                        for the puddles.

                        Hence, I put the items I wish to protect in a dry bag. I have
                        something like this:
                        http://www.rei.com/product/784149/sealline-black-canyon-dry-bag-20-liters
                        -- it's very versatile, super lightweight and it has held up much
                        better than I expected. I have two full winters of rides and even
                        some kayaking with that bag and it's still as good as it was the day
                        it was new. I picked it up on a whim with my 20% coupon, so it was
                        just over $20. Plus, when I go to the grocery store I can just load
                        it instead of yet another paper bag!

                        I also have one of these I use for heavier duty items:
                        http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_171928_-1___ --
                        again, just over $20 but man can it hold a load. Heavier, yes, but it
                        has a shoulder strap and fits perfectly on one side of the X.
                      • jj velvetackbar
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 5, 2011
                          they ARE big enough, surprisingly. they won't cover down the full way if you have a LOT of stuff on the top of the deck, but otherwise, ti covers very well.

                           I'll take a pic this weekend and send it out.

                          JJ

                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 5, 2011
                            Quite a few times, the puddles have aimed for me.

                            Dry bags work. Guaranteed. But, they're not flexible for different
                            sizes and types of loads.

                            CL

                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 5, 2011
                              On 2011-08-05, at 9:27 PM, Cara Lin Bridgman wrote:

                              > Quite a few times, the puddles have aimed for me.

                              Which made me think of riding a bike, next to a car plowing through a puddle.
                              Imagine walking up to someone on the sidewalk with a bucket of water and tossing it on them.
                              Not socially acceptable behavior -- unless you're driving a car.

                              David
                            • Cara Lin Bridgman
                              Message 14 of 14 , Aug 6, 2011
                                David Chase wrote:
                                > On 2011-08-05, at 9:27 PM, Cara Lin Bridgman wrote:
                                >
                                >> Quite a few times, the puddles have aimed for me.
                                >
                                > David Chase wrote:
                                > Which made me think of riding a bike, next to a car plowing through a puddle.
                                > Imagine walking up to someone on the sidewalk with a bucket of water and tossing it on them.
                                > Not socially acceptable behavior -- unless you're driving a car.

                                Exactly! Made me mad as H$(#!

                                Lots of socially unacceptable behavior becomes acceptable when you're in
                                a car (or bigger). Interesting, the complete personality change.

                                CL
                                who has stopped cars so she could chew out the drivers (something she
                                can only get away with doing in Taiwan).