Re: Will a Yuba Mundo fit on a Yakima Sidewinder?

  • EdmundW
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 27, 2011
      The sidwinder works a bit different than a regular carrier works.

      Most carriers (like the Yuba reccomended Rocky Mounts) use tray to hold the rear WHEEL.
      The Sidewinder uses a tray to hold the "boom tube" on the frame (tandem bicycle).
      The tray is mounted on a "post" so it sits up higher than the wheel level.

      The first problem is the distance between the fork mount and the tray
      >> The distance from the skewer to the middle of the tube tray is 40 ½"

      I am going to assume that the tray lenght is some 8-10" long

      The leading edge of Yuba WHEEL under the boom tube is at 40"
      So to get this to work I'd have to remove the rear wheel.
      Then the area under the boom tube is not as "clean" as a tandem is - the dual mount kick stand is thre as well as the fact that the frame "Y" at that point becuase of the rear wheel.

      So we are talking about a potential "modification" of the mount by removing the bool tube tray and using a regular wheel tray etc...

      Coupled with I was planning to mount this on a 2 door MKII VW Golf and the idea rapidly gets less feasible.....