Re: [rootsradicals] BikeGlow Safety Light

  • Devin
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 21, 2011
      Just ordered 4 of them for our family!
      Thanks for the tip

      On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 11:38 AM, Jennifer Logan <domestikitty@...> wrote:

      Hi All.  I came across this on one of my mommy groups this morning and thought it might be of interest to some of you.  Looks like a great (and inexpensive) way to be more visible.  I ride with my little ones on board, so I like to be lit up like a Christmas tree.  :)

      ~Jennifer

      Stay Visible & Safe When Biking at Night (48% off)

      http://deals.mamapedia.com/deals/bike-glow?ref_data=bike-glow&ref_id=422444&ref_type=bw3&utm_source=bw3&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=bike-glow&utm_term=422444&utm_content=gmail

      --
      In Frith,
      Devin
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 21, 2011
        Here's my bike with all its lights: bike glow and down-low-glow:
        <http://megaview.com.tw/~caralin/Bike/CL%27sBike/100226-698GlowingBike.jpg>.
        With a long-bike, having something on the side definitely helps, as I
        found out when freaking out an inattentive motorbike when trying to make
        a left-turn. About a year ago, however, both lights went out after
        biking through dishwasher-like conditions:
        <http://megaview.com.tw/~caralin/Bike/CL%27sBike/100726-343UnderwaterBike2d.jpg>.

        Since I had bought two bike glows, all I had to do was replace the
        battery pack (which houses on-off switch and the chip controlling the
        blink). I contacted the company about the problem, asking if it wasn't
        possible to get a replacement battery pack. They never responded. I
        had already experienced another problem with the bike glow battery pack:
        it was too easy to accidentally turn it on. So, now I only install the
        batteries before use. The wiring is simple enough that when this second
        battery pack goes, I plan to replace it with a RadioShack type AA pack
        that won't have the on-off switch and won't blink (but then I hate
        blinking lights), but should be much less susceptible to water damage.

        The down-low-glow has been more difficult to deal with. I'm still
        waiting for repair-replacement. Rock-the-Bike has worked with me on
        this, giving me a choice between repair or upgrade. Sometime this
        summer, maybe, I'll be receiving the upgrade as a replacement. The
        down-low-glow definitely gave me more space on the road, with passing
        cars and passing motorbikes giving me much more room.

        CL

        Cara Lin Bridgman cara.lin@...

        Longjing District http://www.BugDorm.com
        Taichung 43499
        Taiwan Phone: 886-4-2632-5484
      • Devin

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 23, 2011
              When in the heck is RTB going to come out with their new DLG lights,I have been waiting for what seems forever.

              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Devin <coultraguy@...> wrote:

              > Thanks for the notes. I also had a DLG and the connector piece stopped
              > working. I contact RTB and they sent me an email with shipping numbers, but
              > I dropped the ball and never sent them back, may bad on that one. I will
              > post up after I get and use them for a bit. FYI, they now claim to be 100%
              > waterproof.
              >
              > On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 6:54 PM, Cara Lin Bridgman <shokulan@...>wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > Here's my bike with all its lights: bike glow and down-low-glow:
              > > <http://megaview.com.tw/~caralin/Bike/CL%27sBike/100226-698GlowingBike.jpg<http://megaview.com.tw/%7Ecaralin/Bike/CL%27sBike/100226-698GlowingBike.jpg>>.
              > >
              > > With a long-bike, having something on the side definitely helps, as I
              > > found out when freaking out an inattentive motorbike when trying to make
              > > a left-turn. About a year ago, however, both lights went out after
              > > biking through dishwasher-like conditions:
              > > <
              > > http://megaview.com.tw/~caralin/Bike/CL%27sBike/100726-343UnderwaterBike2d.jpg<http://megaview.com.tw/%7Ecaralin/Bike/CL%27sBike/100726-343UnderwaterBike2d.jpg>>.
              > >

              > > Since I had bought two bike glows, all I had to do was replace the
              > > battery pack (which houses on-off switch and the chip controlling the
              > > blink). I contacted the company about the problem, asking if it wasn't
              > > possible to get a replacement battery pack. They never responded. I
              > > had already experienced another problem with the bike glow battery pack:
              > > it was too easy to accidentally turn it on. So, now I only install the
              > > batteries before use. The wiring is simple enough that when this second
              > > battery pack goes, I plan to replace it with a RadioShack type AA pack
              > > that won't have the on-off switch and won't blink (but then I hate
              > > blinking lights), but should be much less susceptible to water damage.
              > >
              > > The down-low-glow has been more difficult to deal with. I'm still
              > > waiting for repair-replacement. Rock-the-Bike has worked with me on
              > > this, giving me a choice between repair or upgrade. Sometime this
              > > summer, maybe, I'll be receiving the upgrade as a replacement. The
              > > down-low-glow definitely gave me more space on the road, with passing
              > > cars and passing motorbikes giving me much more room.
              > >
              > > CL
              > >
              > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              > > Cara Lin Bridgman cara.lin@...
              > >
              > > P.O. Box 013 Shinjhuang http://megaview.com.tw/~caralin
              > > Longjing District http://www.BugDorm.com
              > > Taichung 43499
              > > Taiwan Phone: 886-4-2632-5484
              > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              > >

              > --
              > In Frith,
              > Devin
              > My blood is not my own,
              > but a gift borrowed from my ancestors,
              > to generations yet unborn.

            • Devin
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 24, 2011
                Not sure what you mean by new.
                http://www.rockthebike.com/the-down-low-glow/
                Or do you mean my comment on new, if so I was referring to the new bike glow and not the DLG

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 24, 2011
                  No I mean they discontinued the original DLG's and are supposed to be coming out with a new improved version.A bit below taken from their site,

                  "Please join our mailing list to be notified when we launch the new and improved Down Low Glow. We have suspended sales of the original Down Low Glow to focus on getting DLG v2.0 ready to roll"

                  I was curious as to when they will be ready for ordering again.I need a couple.Thanks.