Re: [rootsradicals] Bike GPS

  • gear.head@verizon.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 20 7:23 AM
      Very good point. Even though I love my GPS with the good and bad inherent to them; I still like some old school bike travel. Periodically I will travel by paper map. When traveling by paper map I try to interact with locals along the way. Not only does this afford some great interactions with folks from that region, but also they will tip you on routes and short cuts you would never find otherwise.

      Part of riding my bike is the adventure, what I get to see and who I get to meet along the way.

      From: Rob Glover <ama3655@...>
      Sender: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 07:53:57 -0400 (EDT)
      To: <rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [rootsradicals] Bike GPS

      Sorry to be late in replying to this - I've been out of town.

      I've been GPS addicted for years now, and here's what I've found.

      Smart phones are cool, but make lousy GPS for a bike. Maybe OK for occasional pedestrian use in a city. I carry one when I'm riding, but it lives in a ziploc baggie in the pannier of jersey pocket. Not at all weatherproof.

      Car GPS systems are great for cars. I never used one on a bike, but I can see some limitations.

      Garmin GPSmap 76CS, with the proper maps installed works well. There are handlebar mounts from Garmin. They are a bit dated and bulky, but the screen is accordingly bigger which is good. You might be able to find one cheap.

      Garmin Edge 800 is the current stylish option. It's optimized for cycling, tiny for what it does, and has a lot of functionality for cyclists that goes beyond GPS. Not cheap.

      I like the GPS on a bike, but rode for several decades without one and would hate to think that it's a necessary part of a bike. You shouldn't put off riding anywhere just because you don't have a GPS. Good old paper maps still work great.

      FatRob