Gates Carbon Drive

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 19, 2011
      Does anyone have any experience putting a belt drive on an Xtracycle? I'm considering it and I think it would be possible. I just want to kow if anyone has seen it done or has been through the conversion process themselves.

      Thanks!

      Chris
    • Chris
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 19, 2011
        Does anyone have experience converting an Xtracyle (or other longbike) to accept a Gates Carbon (belt) Drive?

        I'm seriously considering it and am trying to figure out if it would be feasible and what the approximate cost would be.

        Thanks!

        Chris
      • Pete Beers

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 19, 2011
            Yeah, I'm hoping Gates can make a longer belt. I've got an email in to them. Might go visit them one day this week.

            I saw a video on how to make a splittable frame. So I know that aspect is possible, I just don't know how affordable it will be because I don't have the tools to do it.

            The crux is going to be the longer belt.

          • jtrops
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 19, 2011
              The long belt is the key to making this work. At least on my Big Dummy I don't think you would need to split the stay. Since it has vertical dropouts anyway you need some kind of tensioner, and the easy way to do this would be to have an idler pulley set at the front H-rack tube that guides the belt over the tube. In this configuration you could run both sides of the belt (active and passive) over that bar and get a clean line from sprocket to cog. I don't have a Freeradical, so I don't know if it would work the same way or not.

              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <ascentionist@...> wrote:

              > Does anyone have any experience putting a belt drive on an Xtracycle? I'm considering it and I think it would be possible. I just want to kow if anyone has seen it done or has been through the conversion process themselves.
              >
              > Thanks!
              >
              > Chris

            • phaedrus at yahoo

                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 19, 2011
                  I have a big dummy.  You would need to split the frame to use belt drive.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 19, 2011
                    On 2011-07-19, at 2:43 PM, jtrops wrote:
                    > the easy way to do this would be to have an idler pulley set at the front H-rack tube that guides the belt over the tube. In this configuration you could run both sides of the belt (active and passive) over that bar and get a clean line from sprocket to cog. I don't have a Freeradical, so I don't know if it would work the same way or not.

                    You would do something like this, I think. The Terracycler idlers would probably do it right out of the box, using the toothless return idler

                    http://gallery.mac.com/dr2chase#100301&view=grid&bgcolor=black&sel=1

                    By-the-way, this didn't really work for me with a chain; interference with the chain case was a persistent problem.

                    David
                  • Andrew Kreps
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 19, 2011
                      On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 11:44 AM, phaedrus at yahoo <yahoo@...> wrote:

                      I was thinking one could go with a jackshaft like they've got on the Chupacabra:

                      http://www.ridingthespine.com/Journey/category/chupacabra

                      That.  Is.  Awesome.

                    • Ascentionist
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 19, 2011
                        LBS seems to agree that belt length would be the crux.

                      • anthonyeberger
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 20, 2011
                          Last year Schlick Cycles contacted Gates and there wasn't (at the time) enough interest in building a longer belt.

                          If you are considering doing this, get your wallet out! It's gonna be expensive. That said GO FOR IT! I'm riding my belt drive 29'er today and butter doesn't do the shifting justice. It's a dream to ride.

                          Ride On