Comparison of old Freeloader to new 2010 Freeloader please

  • username required
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 18, 2011
      I am a long time Xtracycler with an early-ish round tube frame model and, I guess, the MKII Freeloader bags ... black with red logo fitted with net gusset at each end. I think the bike is more than 5 years old now.

      I have to replace my old bags due to wear and tear, and I wondered if anyone could make a comparison/recommendation between the old model and the new 2010 Freeloader bags?

      I have to say, at present I like the nice tight fit of the old bags ... can one fit the new bags to an old frame that does not have mounting points on it? Do they make the rear end feel slacker? Do they hold together the V-racks just as well?

      I always found the net gusset hard to tight up. Sadly one side met its end when a local stray cat decided to scratch and eat its way through it, trying to get to some food that was inside the bag! That was almost one dead cat when I caught it doing so.

      (* I should also study where holes have worn through them to protect new ones. I found they rubbed a hole where the fender mounting is).

      Thanks.