H-bar set up with mixed grips

  • Sean Mackin
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 15, 2011

    Here is one view of the H-bar set up.

  • Robert Tilley
    Message 2 of 5 , Jul 15, 2011
      I'll hopefully be setting up my new Karate Monkey frame this weekend.  I've got a set of the Titec H-Bars for it & I just need to decide what shifters to put on it.  On hand I've got LX 9-speed Rapidfire, XT 8-speed Rapidfire & some Paul Thumbies with 8-speed bar-end shifters attached.

      I'm leaning towards the LX 9-speed so far but wonder if the thumbies would work with the H-Bars.  The cabling on the thumbies may get in the way of accessing the "bar-end" portion of the bars.   I'll have to play around with a few setups this weekend.  I've never used the bars but I've heard good things about them.  The good things come mostly from single-speeders but I'm sure they'll be fine for geared bikes as well.

      On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 1:34 PM, Sean Mackin <gear.head@...> wrote:
      [Attachment(s) from Sean Mackin included below]

      Here is one view of the H-bar set up.

      Attachment(s) from Sean Mackin

      1 of 1 Photo(s)

    • Sean Mackin
      Message 3 of 5 , Jul 15, 2011
        That's funny, I am thinking about buying some thumbies. I think they would work just fine. Anyway you set it up there is some amount of compromise involved. If you run them on the front part, it leaves the grip area pretty small, for my hands at least. Let is know how it works either way you set it up and post some pictures.

        Sean

        Message 4 of 5 , Jul 16, 2011
          I've had H-Bars and old thumb shifters on my xtra for a couple years.  The "bar end" part of the bar has always been useless to me even without a shifter there, it's too narrow to be of use for leverage like a bar end typically gets used, and there's little point in using it for an aero position on a cargo bike.  I spend 100% of the time with my hands on the regular grip area.  The length of the thumb shifter lever also makes it an easy reach from the grips.

          Message 5 of 5 , Jul 16, 2011
            I played around a bit & put the Rapidfire levers on one side & Thumbies on the other.  I preferred the Rapidfire so I'll be setting the bike up that way.  I had to put the Thumbies on the "bar-end" section of the bar in order to get it where it would be comfortable to reach.  This ended up making that portion of the bar unusable.  I wasn't able to actually ride them & was only able to hold them in my hands in order to test them out.

            I posted some pics here:

            http://roberttilley.smugmug.com/Bicycles/Surly-Karate-Monkey-2011/17978108_qVwNrx#1386874519_5GGsLb9

            Robert Tilley
            San Diego, CA