Re: Step through longbike?

  • neiltravers
    Message 1 of 27 , Jul 7, 2011
      Not sure I understand what you are describing there.
      If you mean you mount with your foot leading and the
      rest of the leg following then that would only be just
      above knee height for most people.

      The highest clearance is by bending your leg and
      raising it to the side like jumping a hurdle (but with
      your other leg still on the ground). This is pretty
      much the same as swinging your leg over but
      without the 'swing' and keeping the leg folded.
      You still need a long enough space between
      handlebars and seat and catching your foot on
      the seat is a risk.

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, David Dannenberg <ddannenberg@...> wrote:

      > I don't mount a bike by swinging my leg around and over--I am not limber or coordinated enough; nor do I mount by stepping on one peddle to gain momentum then swinging my other leg across while underway--just don't have the coordination or nerve. I simply step over the top tube by bending and lifting my leg, the way one might step over a low fence or shrub in one's path. Then I straddle the bike, and in the case of the BD, roll it forward to get it off the Kickback then go. Check how captains mount their tandems. Sure it is cool to swing one's leg horizontally over the handle bars-kind of like one of the Rocketts doing a turn with a leg stretched out--but it is easier to just bend your leg and reach over, maybe even tip the bike towards yourself to lower the tube.
    • David Dannenberg
      Message 2 of 27 , Jul 7, 2011
        We are talking about the same thing. I find it MUCH easier to keep the leg folded and step over than to swing around.
      • doreavc
        Message 3 of 27 , Jul 8, 2011
          I've lost track a bit, but if this question is directed at me David, yes, this is exactly how we both mount the bike, and yes, the standover height is such that both of us can stand over the bike with both feet on the ground, but is is still a struggle to get one leg over the top tube for my wife who is very short. For me, it's not a problem. Even 3 or 4 inches lower would make all the difference, and it looks like we have some options in this regard.

          w.r.t the bakfiets question, we have storage considerations that make a box-type bike a challenge, and it does seem like overkill when all we need is a lower frame height. I'm also not a fan of how heavy those things are (we have friends with a gazelle cabby). If we go that route, we'd likely go with a madsen before a bakfiets, both for weight and for cost.

          Thanks all,
          Dorea

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, David Dannenberg <ddannenberg@...> wrote:

          > I am a little confused by this discussion. Does the bike have a stand over height that does not allow you to straddle the top tube with both feet on the ground?
          >
          > I don't mount a bike by swinging my leg around and over--I am not limber or coordinated enough; nor do I mount by stepping on one peddle to gain momentum then swinging my other leg across while underway--just don't have the coordination or nerve. I simply step over the top tube by bending and lifting my leg, the way one might step over a low fence or shrub in one's path. Then I straddle the bike, and in the case of the BD, roll it forward to get it off the Kickback then go. Check how captains mount their tandems. Sure it is cool to swing one's leg horizontally over the handle bars-kind of like one of the Rocketts doing a turn with a leg stretched out--but it is easier to just bend your leg and reach over, maybe even tip the bike towards yourself to lower the tube.
          >
          > Of course if your stand over height is too high to straddle the bike, then ignore the foregoing. :)
          >
          > Oh, and if you mount a peg on the crank arm, won't it whack you in the ankle as you peddle?
          >
          > David

        • jparks781
          Message 4 of 27 , Jul 9, 2011
            David,

            what rim was that?

            what tire pressure range do you try to maintain?

            how many miles approx.?

            was it on your Dummy? Did you move it from your previous X to the Dummy?

            Why do you fault the wide tire? I'm trying to figure out the mechanics / geometry of how the wider tire might have exacerbated the problem.

            I ask because I'm running Big Apples on Velocity Cliff Hangers, which are fairly narrow rims, 1.125" outside width. The Big Apples measure a little over 2.4" wide on these rims at 60psi.

            Although I weigh ~145#, so that may keep me out of trouble. Also you are a much more faithful cycle-commuter than I, I'm sure your putting a lot more miles on the bike.

            Joel

          • gear.head@verizon.net
            Message 5 of 27 , Jul 9, 2011
              I have actually seen that happen just from fatigue. Two in fact; the riders were in the 175-195 lb range who ride a lot. There is other factors that can contribute such as high spoke tension, aggressive riding etc. In both cases before they failed the rim was not staying true.

              Just some insight.

              Note: the bikes mentioned were ridden on and off road and were not long tails.

              From: "jparks781" <joel.parks@...>
              Sender: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2011 15:57:00 +0000
              To: <rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com>
              ReplyTo: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
              Subject: [rootsradicals] rim failure (was: Random stuff)

              Message 6 of 27 , Jul 9, 2011
                On 2011-07-09, at 11:57 AM, jparks781 wrote:

                > David,
                >
                > what rim was that?

                DT Swiss XR4.1.

                > what tire pressure range do you try to maintain?
                60 psi

                > how many miles approx.?
                2500/year (but not all on those tires, snow tires in winter)

                > was it on your Dummy? Did you move it from your previous X to the Dummy?

                No, I had bought it used to replace the dead hub from last year. Guy who owned it before me had it on a recumbent trike for about a year, with skinny tires. Not a light guy either, but probably not so many miles on it (he has spinal stenosis, which makes many things difficult, and why he was selling the wheel).

                > Why do you fault the wide tire? I'm trying to figure out the mechanics / geometry of how the wider tire might have exacerbated the problem.

                My thinking is that the wide tire leaves the rim perpendicular to the rim edge, so the full tension in the tire is applied to the rim -- that is, pulling the rim apart, instead of pulling up off the rim. Because otherwise, there is "no difference" between a 60mm tire at 60psi, and a 30mm tire at 120psi (but note that 120psi 30mm tires are not usual case). The tension in the casing, is proportional to the diameter of the tire, times the pressure -- image slicing an inflated tire like a bagel, and the area of the bagel corresponding to an inch of bagel circumference.

                > I ask because I'm running Big Apples on Velocity Cliff Hangers, which are fairly narrow rims, 1.125" outside width. The Big Apples measure a little over 2.4" wide on these rims at 60psi.

                The Cliff Hangers are plenty wide, I think, 28mm outside width. The rim I broke was 17 mm inside width, 22 mm outside width.

                > Although I weigh ~145#, so that may keep me out of trouble. Also you are a much more faithful cycle-commuter than I, I'm sure your putting a lot more miles on the bike.

                I am not sure that the rider weight matters that much, though to the extent that the tire deforms to be even more perpendicular, that should spike the tearing force.

                David
              • sh8knj8kster
                Message 7 of 27 , Jul 12, 2011
                  --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman <shokulan@...> wrote:

                  > Somewhere on this list, another woman posted about outfitting her big
                  > dummy with smaller wheels because she was so short. I don't think she
                  > bothered with shorter cranks. She posted links to pictures. Sorry, but
                  > I can't remember when or key words.
                  >
                  > Frankly, pedal strike when cornering is an over-rated problem. It's
                  > definitely easy to learn to adjust pedals for sharp turns. I find I do
                  > it automatically.
                  >
                  > CL

                  ~~~Cara, I think you're talking about Sue Brown...here's her big dummy blog http://xtrasue.com/category/thebd/

                  Best,

                  Jake
                  Reddick Fla.
                  He was a very cautious man who never romped and played
                  He never smoked, He never drank, Nor ever kissed a maid
                  And when he up and passed away his insurance was denied...
                  For since he hadn't ever lived, they claimed he never died

                  http://www.shakinjake.blogspot.com/
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/26137108@N04

                  > doreavc wrote:
                  > > I love this list! All these ideas are extremely helpful. Hadn't thought of smaller wheels. I got a measurement of 24" to the lowest point on the Sun at the bikeforum Sun Atlas thread, which is encouraging, and I'll be taking a look at these suggested frames. @David -- thanks specifically for the local shop suggestion.
                  > >
                  > > --Dorea
                  > >

                  > > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "doreavc" <doreavc@> wrote:
                  > >> We currently ride with a mountain-bike type frame and a free-radical extension, frequently with our two kids loaded on the back, see here:
                  > >>
                  > >> http://carfreecambridge.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/3885459958_e1df437a74.jpg
                  > >>
                  > >> (we've since swapped out the handlebars and added a kickback but you get the idea)
                  > >>
                  > >> For the most part, this has worked well, but my very short (5'1") wife is getting frustrated with getting on and off, and is wishing for a step-through frame, especially since our kids are little, so we have to load them first so she can't just swing her leg up over the back.
                  > >>
                  > >> So we're trying to find a more step-through option. In comparing the more "pre-fab" choices out there, it looks like the big dummy is out. It doesn't look like the radish, yuba mundo, kona ute or the new sun atlas are truly step through. Does anyone have standover heights on any of these? As in measurement from the ground to the frame at the lowest point you could get a leg through to mount? The Sun Atlas looks like it *might* be the lowest (our current bike is about 26"). We don't really have space for it, but I'm seriously considering a Madsen since it looks like one of the easiest to get on and off.
                  > >>
                  > >> I'm also considering using our existing free-radical on a different bike, in which case we'd be looking for something with 26" wheels, ideally disc brake compatible. I got a recommendation for the Breezer Uptown 8, but am not so sure about the aluminum frame with such a low step through when we'll be riding it pretty heavily loaded. Has anyone found a step through frame that works really well with the free radical? Has anyone tried one of the Linus bikes?
                  > >>
                  > >> We're in the Boston/Cambridge area. If anyone in this area has something they think might fit the bill that we could test ride, please let me know.
                  > >>
                  > >> Thoughts welcome and thanks!
                  > >> Dorea
                  > >> Carfree with Kids: http://carfreecambridge.com

                  > --

                  > Cara Lin Bridgman cara.lin@...
                  >
                  > P.O. Box 013 Shinjhuang http://megaview.com.tw/~caralin
                  > Longjing District http://www.BugDorm.com
                  > Taichung 43499
                  > Taiwan Phone: 886-4-2632-5484

                • Cara Lin Bridgman
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jul 12, 2011
                    Thanks Jake, that's the one. At her blog, she explains the sizes and
                    all the things that got cut down to her size.

                    CL