Re: [rootsradicals] what distances are people hauling their kids?

  • liza mattana
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 1 8:17 PM
      we're letting a friend borrow our xtracycle this summer. it has a Companion Carrier front seat that his 3 yr old daughter rides, and his 8 yr old son rides on back. they're really enjoying it, especially the 3 yr old. they have it parked in their living room when it's not "in use" and little Theo sits on it when she watches movies. our daughter is too big now for me to haul around without any help, so the x has become a loaner.

      we have a four year old girl, 43 lbs, and we haul her to school daily on our tandem for the 2 mile RT commute. we do most of our errands and get-arounds with this bike. most of the trips are under 10 miles with some hills. the ride from downtown to our house involves more than 500 ft of climbing in 1 mile. we do most of the work, and she stokes when we're climbing. it's a little bit of help, but it makes a huge difference for me! we also took a camping trip this summer, 20 miles RT, and our daughter totally loved it. she prefers pedaling and told us so.

      for us right now, the tandem is a better fit. but the xtracycle was a great asset when she was younger. i wish we would have gotten it and the front seat when she was 6mths old. then we could have enjoyed it for 3+ years.

      liza

      On 8/1/07, Stuart Edwards <xtracycler@...> wrote:

      I travel about 10 miles with my 6 and 8 year olds, on a regular basis. It can be tough going, but it is always fun!

      We once went on an over night tour, on the first day we travelled 30miles  (with gear too) the second day we travelled 14miles . We went mountainbiking on another day about 25miles (that was a killer because my bike is a hybird, we (wishfully) carried my daughters bike too in case she had the inclination to ride.

      Any thing is possible with a bit of practice. :-)

      On 02/08/07, Juergen Weichert <juergen@... > wrote:
      Just gear down and take your time.
      I have a BionX electric assist on mine so naturally it is much easier to
      climb hills. Without the assist turned on it works OK too though - just
      a bit slower. I generally take it pretty easy with the kids on board
      anyways.
      Juergen

      Josie Kirton wrote:
> [...]
      > weight. I have two kids, 3 1/2 and 6 1/2, who I'd like to take to school and
      > back on the xtracycle. Right now I have a handle bar seat (bobike mini) for
      > the three year old, and a trail-a-bike for the 6 year old. I need to make a
      > switch to the xtracyle because my daughter's about the grow out of her seat
      > up front, and my son's not ready yet to ride long distances on his own. I'm
      > just worried about the weight on a four mile trip to school where no one is
      > is helping me pedal. I'd love to hear people's experiences of traveling
      > around with kids, how far they go, how much of a difference it makes to have
      > two people sitting on the back, etc. Our school is about 4 miles away, and
      > mostly flat, but a few inclines on the way. The trip home is easy.
      >
      > Thanks so much for any feedback.
      > Josie
      >

      >> From: Juergen Weichert <juergen@...>
      >> To: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
      >> Subject: Re: [rootsradicals] Advice - Considering an Xtracycle
      >> Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 17:01:18 -0500
      >>
      >> I often pick up both my kids at the end of the day (8yrs and 4yrs old)
      >> and take them home on the back of the Xtracycle. It is REALLY easy to
      >> drop in for groceries or whatever in this configuration. Imagine - two
      >> kids PLUS groceries - things we used to "need" a car for! With the
      >> Xtracycle on the back of your "regular" bike you never have to plan for
      >> what eventualities the day might bring. If the urge strikes you to stop
      >> in at a store you can most likely get your purchase home and you never
      >> have to decide which set of panniers to bring in the morning when you
      >> leave home.
      >>
      >> The Townie Electra can be easily adjusted for different sized riders
      >> just by raising and lowering the seat. I would however suggest just
      >> going with whatever bike you have for now. You can always move the
      >> Xtracycle to another bike later - if you can bear the though of removing
      >> it. Having it there becomes "part of life" after a few weeks.
      >>
      >> Juergen
      >>

      >> wy_jimr wrote:
      >>
      >>> OK, so I found the Xtracycle website and thought it looked awesome,
      >>> but I am not sure if it is for me or not. I would like to start bike
      >>> commuting more and use a bike for errands etc. and hoping the X would
      >>> help me do that, otherwise I drive a pickup – not the most
      >>> practical. Any advice from experience would be very much appreciated.
      >>>
      >>> Background info: We currently have 6 bikes for a family of 3; my
      >>> wife and I each have a Mtn and road bike, 9yr old daughter has a Mtn
      >>> bike and Adams Trail-a-bike. My daily routine is to drop my daughter
      >>> at school which is just a few blocks from work. When I bike, she
      >>> rides on her trail-a-bike to school and takes the bus home and I ride
      >>> the trail-a-bike home empty. If I know I need to pick up something
      >>> after work I drive instead. I don't cycle to work often as a
      >>> result. I am a capable/avid cyclist but ride mostly for
      >>> recreation/exercise. My wife is a less avid cyclist but very capable
      >>> also (did a 400 mile tour in 6 days a couple years ago in Wyoming).
      >>> If I got an Xtracycle, it would not go on any of our current bikes
      >>> but would replace the trail-a bike. I would like for me and my wife
      >>> to both be able to comfortably ride it; I am 5' 10" and she is 5' 5",
      >>> we are both about 40 yrs old.
      >>>
      >>> I looked at both the complete bikes and the kits. I am pretty decent
      >>> with a wrench and would feel comfortable building one with a kit. I
      >>> considered the Electra Townie 21 as an option that we both could
      >>> ride, but am concerned about some comments I saw about the riding
      >>> position tending to push you off the back of the seat when loaded or
      >>> climbing; I have never ridden one. I know my wife won't ride any
      >>> bike unless it fits her pretty well and it is easy to ride. We live
      >>> in a place with 4 distinct seasons and some hills. Options I have
      >>> considered are: 1) Get a complete Townie, 2) get a complete free
      >>> radical kit and a new Mtn bike we could both ride and build it, 3)
      >>> find a used Mtn bike and a kit and build it out, 4) do nothing.
      >>>
      >>> Here are my questions:
      >>>
      >>> 1) Is it really practical to expect to take a 9/10 year old kid
      >>> to school every day on the X, about 2 miles? She is comfortable on
      >>> her trail-a-bike and a good rider.
      >>>
      >>> 2) Is it practical to expect to be able to build an X bike that
      >>> we both could ride?
      >>>
      >>> 3) Any experience or advice about the Townie, good or bad? Or
      >>> any of the other complete bikes?
      >>>
      >>> 4) Cost is a factor but usability is a bigger factor. Any
      >>> advice on what kind of bike or the build versus buy options?
      >>>
      >>> Thank you in advance for any and all advice.
      >>>
      >>> Jim
      >>>
      >>> __.
      >>>

      >> You're getting this message because you signed up to be an Xtracycle roots
      >> radical.

      >> ride to believe.
      >> Yahoo! Groups Links

      > http://newlivehotmail.com

      > ride to believe.
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      ride to believe.
      Yahoo! Groups Links

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
         (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
         mailto: rootsradicals-digest@yahoogroups.com

         http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      --
      Stuart Edwards
      Cargo Bike New Zealand

      --
      liza mattana
      http://www.pedals2people.org
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 1 8:56 PM
        Jim;

        I second David's point about the Townie being a very different bike
        from the "performance" bikes it sounds like you're used to. I'd be
        more inclined to stick it on a rigid mountain bike -- that's what I
        did, and it's already a VERY different feeling bike than any of my
        "normal" bikes.

        I'd tend to think the Townie would be a little frustrating for you,
        as an experienced cyclist. I hope this doesn't offend anyone here,
        but from what I've seen, it's designed for fairly casual use, and is
        particularly meant for people who want to be able to place both feet
        on the ground when coming to a complete stop. The Townie itself,
        without the Free Radical, weighs in at around 40 lbs, and it's a
        pretty discouraging bike if your rides include any real hills (this
        from a friend who attempted her daily commute on one). The Free
        Radical with bags, etc., adds an extra 10.

        You'll like the way a real mountain bike feels with the Free Rad on
        it... build it out more upright than you'd ever build a singletrack
        bike, stick some big fat slicks on there, and get ready to ride a
        little slower than you do on any of your existing bikes! It was quite
        an adjustment for me, as a road/mountain bike guy. It's fun,
        though... I don't mind slowing down a little bit and just sitting up,
        looking around, and spinning slowly up a hill.

        Also, for what it's worth, I don't think I'd bother trying to ride
        actual "singletrack" on an Xtracycle -- at least the singletrack I
        think of when I think about XC mountain biking, which can include 2-3
        foot drops, 12-inch log crossings, etc. I'm sure it would be fine or
        even great for touring on dirt roads, rutted jeep tracks or narrow
        but smooth trails (I've ridden some fire roads and light doubletrack
        on it, and it does OK). But you certainly won't be hopping the rear
        end around tight switchbacks, or negotiating rock gardens with it.

        Don't get me wrong -- I'm really enjoying the X, and find it very
        useful and fun to ride. But you will definitely notice the large,
        somewhat sluggish object attached to the back of your bike! Some of
        the Xtracycle material makes it seem like there are no compromises
        involved, and that's just not the case... it's like the Dutch bike
        thing -- you just have to have a different (i.e., non-Lance-ish!)
        mindset when riding one.

        Best,

        Jeff
        --

        -----
        Jeff Ong, Managing Partner, Leadcleaner (http://www.leadcleaner.com)
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 2 9:20 AM
          Thanks to everyone who responded to my request for advice; I think
          your recommendations and experience will prove invaluable.

          If you are interested, this is what we have decided to do: Get the
          Xtracycle kit and put it on my wife's Mtn bike (old Trek steel frame,
          fully rigid, 3 x 7 gearing). Add riser bars and an adjustable stem,
          already have quick release seat. Add footsies, slick tires and a
          stoker bar for passengers and see how it works!

          Thanks again.

          Jim

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "wy_jimr" <jim@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > considered are: 1) Get a complete Townie, 2) get a complete free
          > radical kit and a new Mtn bike we could both ride and build it, 3)
          > find a used Mtn bike and a kit and build it out, 4) do nothing.
          >

          > Here are my questions:
          >
          > 1) Is it really practical to expect to take a 9/10 year old
          kid
          > to school every day on the X, about 2 miles? She is comfortable on
          > her trail-a-bike and a good rider.
          >
          > 2) Is it practical to expect to be able to build an X bike
          that
          > we both could ride?
          >
          > 3) Any experience or advice about the Townie, good or bad? Or
          > any of the other complete bikes?
          >
          > 4) Cost is a factor but usability is a bigger factor. Any
          > advice on what kind of bike or the build versus buy options?
          >

          > Thank you in advance for any and all advice.

        • Ryano
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 2 9:34 AM
            Sounds pretty good to me.  Go for it.

            On 03/08/07, wy_jimr <jim@...> wrote:

> [...]

            > considered are: 1) Get a complete Townie, 2) get a complete free
            > radical kit and a new Mtn bike we could both ride and build it, 3)
            > find a used Mtn bike and a kit and build it out, 4) do nothing.
            >

            > Here are my questions:
            >
            > 1) Is it really practical to expect to take a 9/10 year old
            kid
            > to school every day on the X, about 2 miles? She is comfortable on
            > her trail-a-bike and a good rider.
            >
            > 2) Is it practical to expect to be able to build an X bike
            that
            > we both could ride?
            >
            > 3) Any experience or advice about the Townie, good or bad? Or
            > any of the other complete bikes?
            >
            > 4) Cost is a factor but usability is a bigger factor. Any
            > advice on what kind of bike or the build versus buy options?
            >

            > Thank you in advance for any and all advice.

          • Derek Pearson
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 2 11:59 AM
              I'd consider getting the wideloaders in place of the footsies. They can be used for the same thing, and the wideloaders open up a lot more
              possibilities.

> [...]

              > considered are: 1) Get a complete Townie, 2) get a complete free
              > radical kit and a new Mtn bike we could both ride and build it, 3)
              > find a used Mtn bike and a kit and build it out, 4) do nothing.
              >

              > Here are my questions:
              >
              > 1) Is it really practical to expect to take a 9/10 year old
              kid
              > to school every day on the X, about 2 miles? She is comfortable on
              > her trail-a-bike and a good rider.
              >
              > 2) Is it practical to expect to be able to build an X bike
              that
              > we both could ride?
              >
              > 3) Any experience or advice about the Townie, good or bad? Or
              > any of the other complete bikes?
              >
              > 4) Cost is a factor but usability is a bigger factor. Any
              > advice on what kind of bike or the build versus buy options?
              >

              > Thank you in advance for any and all advice.

              Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.
            • jegarh@aol.com
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 2 2:13 PM
                -----
                Derek Pearson  said.....

                >I'd consider getting the wideloaders in place of the footsies. They can be used for the same thing, and the >wideloaders open up a lot more
                >possibilities.

                I have commuted over 6000 miles on my Xtra built up on a $40 yard sale hard tail Mongoose.  I carry a 22" long piece of 3/4" CPVC that I slide through the front transverse element of the Xtra attachment so any passenger I might have to carry along will have some "foot pegs" to rest their feet on.  I toss it in one of the small pockets in the Freeloader when it isn't being used.

                Jerry (saved buying $5,000+ fuel in the last 5 years) Rhodes

              • Mark Garvey
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 2 5:24 PM
                  On 8/2/07, wy_jimr <jim@...> wrote:
                  Thanks to everyone who responded to my request for advice; I think
                  your recommendations and experience will prove invaluable.

                  If you are interested, this is what we have decided to do:  Get the
                  Xtracycle kit and put it on my wife's Mtn bike (old Trek steel frame,
                  fully rigid, 3 x 7 gearing).  Add riser bars and an adjustable stem,
                  already have quick release seat.  Add footsies, slick tires and a
                  stoker bar for passengers and see how it works!

                  Thanks again.

                  That sounds really great to me too.  I have the wideloadeers and have ordered the Footsies because I think they are COOL and my grand daughter will love them!  I am checking with a buddy who loves to build wheels about building me up a set of BOMB proof wheels with disc brakes.  My bike will have to have a disc fork or have a disc tab brazed on.  The X seems to really improve my bike a great deal!   I got the bike on Freecycle (a good source for bike parts!) as a frame only. it is a Jamis  durango Sport from a few years ago and is scarred and dinged, but it cost me NOTHING!  I had to put some cheap wheels on it and my Brooks B-66 saddle as well as a set of handlebars and a new stem, but it is very nice to ride!

                  The best part is that I can go to the store for groceries and not worry about not having room for my stuff!  I can ride to work and have room for my spare shoes, and a place to stash my helmet while at work.  It is pretty versatile.

                  mark

                  Mark  Garvey
                  Cedar Rapids, Iowa free state!

                  Check out the web site at:
                  http://www.vine-ave.com

                  contact us to have INVISIBLE INC! appear at your next program!  Details at www.vine-ave.com

                  I am a bicycling lifestylist!
                • Cathode Ray
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 2 6:10 PM
                    At 7:24 PM -0500 2/8/07, Mark Garvey wrote:
                    >have ordered the Footsies because I think they are COOL and my grand
                    >daughter will love them

                    They are cool to start with; but once the the nut inserts pull out of
                    the tubing the cool factor plummets to zero and you are left with two
                    pieces of wood and two short pieces of Al tubing. (This is with adult
                    passengers, YMMV with your granddaughter).

                    I cut the leg off a tubular steel chair and use that instead. A piece
                    about 360 mm long works for me. I put a rubber cap on each end.
                  • Mark Garvey
                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 2 7:33 PM
                      On 8/2/07, Juergen Weichert <juergen@...> wrote:
                      Wideloaders will work for passengers, but footsies are much better. I
                      would get both. I usually keep the footsies either installed or in the
                      bags, and only install the wide loaders when required for bigger loads.
                      You can also carry the wide loaders in the bags quite easily "just in
                      case" you might need them.
                      Juergen

                      OK, how are the Footsies secured in the frame?  With spring clips like the Wideloaders?

                      Mark  Garvey
                      Cedar Rapids, Iowa free state!

                      Check out the web site at:
                      http://www.vine-ave.com