Re: [rootsradicals] Digest Number 1807

  • Ross Evans
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2011
      Radish floor to step over height just over ~25.3 inches.  The flat section at that height runs for 7 inches from the bend to the seatpost.

      Atlas Cargo floor to step over height is ~25.8 inches.  It is the bottom of a "V" so getting a foot over would probably make it closer to 27 inches.

      -Ross

      Messages

      1a.

      Step through longbike?

      Posted by: "doreavc" doreavc@...   doreavc

      Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:01 pm (PDT)

      We currently ride with a mountain-bike type frame and a free-radical extension, frequently with our two kids loaded on the back, see here:

      http://carfreecambridge.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/3885459958_e1df437a74.jpg

      (we've since swapped out the handlebars and added a kickback but you get the idea)

      For the most part, this has worked well, but my very short (5'1") wife is getting frustrated with getting on and off, and is wishing for a step-through frame, especially since our kids are little, so we have to load them first so she can't just swing her leg up over the back.

      So we're trying to find a more step-through option. In comparing the more "pre-fab" choices out there, it looks like the big dummy is out. It doesn't look like the radish, yuba mundo, kona ute or the new sun atlas are truly step through. Does anyone have standover heights on any of these? As in measurement from the ground to the frame at the lowest point you could get a leg through to mount? The Sun Atlas looks like it *might* be the lowest (our current bike is about 26"). We don't really have space for it, but I'm seriously considering a Madsen since it looks like one of the easiest to get on and off.

      I'm also considering using our existing free-radical on a different bike, in which case we'd be looking for something with 26" wheels, ideally disc brake compatible. I got a recommendation for the Breezer Uptown 8, but am not so sure about the aluminum frame with such a low step through when we'll be riding it pretty heavily loaded. Has anyone found a step through frame that works really well with the free radical? Has anyone tried one of the Linus bikes?

      We're in the Boston/Cambridge area. If anyone in this area has something they think might fit the bill that we could test ride, please let me know.

      Thoughts welcome and thanks!
      Dorea
      Carfree with Kids: http://carfreecambridge.com

      1b.

      Re: Step through longbike?

      Posted by: "David Chase" dr2chase@...   dr2chase

      Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:42 pm (PDT)

      I'm not sure about the structure, but the Ultimate Stepthrough seems to be the Biria, and the frame gets really beefy down there. They have some at Quadcycle in Arlington, if you wanted to look at one in person. I think they have the Uptown 8, also.

      My thinking is that the worst of the load rides in the back, so your main concern is simply your own weight acting on a longer lever arm (with the wheel moved back). A 5'1" person is not likely to weigh that much, so as long as you're not a Person of Unusual Size, you're probably okay. Also, fatten up those tires; even at full pressure, it cuts the road vibration and softens potholes.

      I bought my daughter one of those half-dropped mountain bikes, an old Fuji, on Craigslist. It's not disk compatible, but I can fit at least 2" Big Apples on it.

      Or for example, right now on CL:
      http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bik/2468120110.html
      http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bik/2471678937.html

      If you buy used, and the frame takes a threadless fork, you have options for adding disk compatibility that aren't too complicated:
      http://surlybikes.com/parts/1x1_fork/

      REI has bikes. http://www.rei.com/product/791245/novara-fiona-womens-bike-2011
      Step through, threadless fork, but it's only 63mm travel (hence, will the Surly 1x1 work?)

      I'm in the area, I can wrench and fiddle.

      One possible option, not sure it is a constructive suggestion, but I found that I am (now) limber enough to get my right leg folded up and over the bar in front (on a 20" Big Dummy), so dismounts are dead fast and easy. I have not gotten to the point of reversing the process just yet for mounts -- for that I slant the bike a bit and step over, not so easy with a pair of kids sitting up high on the back.

      David

      On 2011-06-30, at 10:01 PM, doreavc wrote:

      > We currently ride with a mountain-bike type frame and a free-radical extension, frequently with our two kids loaded on the back, see here:
      >
      > http://carfreecambridge.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/3885459958_e1df437a74.jpg
      >
      > (we've since swapped out the handlebars and added a kickback but you get the idea)
      >
      > For the most part, this has worked well, but my very short (5'1") wife is getting frustrated with getting on and off, and is wishing for a step-through frame, especially since our kids are little, so we have to load them first so she can't just swing her leg up over the back.
      >
      > So we're trying to find a more step-through option. In comparing the more "pre-fab" choices out there, it looks like the big dummy is out. It doesn't look like the radish, yuba mundo, kona ute or the new sun atlas are truly step through. Does anyone have standover heights on any of these? As in measurement from the ground to the frame at the lowest point you could get a leg through to mount? The Sun Atlas looks like it *might* be the lowest (our current bike is about 26"). We don't really have space for it, but I'm seriously considering a Madsen since it looks like one of the easiest to get on and off.
      >
      > I'm also considering using our existing free-radical on a different bike, in which case we'd be looking for something with 26" wheels, ideally disc brake compatible. I got a recommendation for the Breezer Uptown 8, but am not so sure about the aluminum frame with such a low step through when we'll be riding it pretty heavily loaded. Has anyone found a step through frame that works really well with the free radical? Has anyone tried one of the Linus bikes?
      >
      > We're in the Boston/Cambridge area. If anyone in this area has something they think might fit the bill that we could test ride, please let me know.
      >
      > Thoughts welcome and thanks!
      > Dorea
      > Carfree with Kids: http://carfreecambridge.com

      1c.

      Re: Step through longbike?

      Posted by: "David Chase" dr2chase@...   dr2chase

      Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:00 pm (PDT)

      On 2011-06-30, at 10:42 PM, David Chase wrote:

      > REI has bikes. http://www.rei.com/product/791245/novara-fiona-womens-bike-2011
      > Step through, threadless fork, but it's only 63mm travel (hence, will the Surly 1x1 work?)

      I think it has disk tabs already, so this might fit your description better than I thought.

      It would be great if you could lock out the suspension fork, but if not, just dial it up to as stiff as possible.
      The rider weight on the longer lever arm will tend to work it very hard on an xtracycle; you will want to
      take care of it. I am not sure how to regard it, on the long list of plusses and minuses -- I had one on my
      xtracycle before I bought a Big Dummy, and I didn't know how to work on it, and it does suck up a little bit
      of power, but more than once I noticed that I could keep nice control of the bike riding fast on a really awful
      road, and it was clearly because of the suspension in front.

      David

      Give Back

      Yahoo! for Good

      Get inspired

      by a good cause.

      Y! Toolbar

      Get it Free!

      easy 1-click access

      to your groups.

      Yahoo! Groups

      Start a group

      in 3 easy steps.

      Connect with others.

      Need to Reply?

      ride to believe.

      --
      Ross Evans  |  Founder and President
      Xtracycle Inc.  |   888.537.1401  x81

    • W N
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 2011
        I just measured my Sun Atlas, and i get a bit over 24 inches from ground to the apex of the frame's "x" (the low point of the front of the frame" - and 25 and change when the bike is on the kickstand...