receiving, reassembling Xtracycle in Oakland

  • Ben Rosenthal
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 23, 2011
      In a couple weeks, I'm moving to the Bay Area for the first time and it will be the second home ever for my Xtracycle, Theo, since I've spent the last five years living and working at Isabella Freedman Jewish Retreat Center in northwest Connecticut. I'm going to get some help from Village Cycles in Millerton, New York, with disassembling and shipping Theo to his new neighborhood.

      I've reconfigured a standard bike box into the 47x28x12 dimensions of Cannondale boxes known to reduce UPS shipping costs and I just need to choose a destination. My initial home place will be two blocks east of Lake Merritt in Oakland and I figure I'm best off shipping to a bike shop since B2B shipping is less expensive. Beyond that, I'm open to either shipping to a shop that knows Xtracycles (e.g., Tip Top) and would like to reassemble mine, or picking up the box and getting help from a local fellow radical.

      Anyone have a recommendation? FYI: I'm planning to ship on Wednesday, July 6, so I'll expect to receive it around Wednesday the 13th. Also, I don't drive.

      Thanks!

      - Ben
      Alive (and Pedaling) to Save the Planet
    • anthonyeberger
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 24, 2011
        We shipped an Xtra (and rider) from WI to Seattle via Amtrak for a decent price. I've also shipped a BOB via grayhound from WI to Seattle and it was about 1/3 of what UPS wanted to ship the same device. The only draw back was that my buddy had to pick up the BOB at the grayhound station.

        Might be a cheaper way to get this to Cali.

        Keep riding

        Tony B.
        Riverwest WI

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Ben Rosenthal <earthsaver@...> wrote:

        > In a couple weeks, I'm moving to the Bay Area for the first time and it will be the second home ever for my Xtracycle, Theo, since I've spent the last five years living and working at Isabella Freedman Jewish Retreat Center in northwest Connecticut. I'm going to get some help from Village Cycles in Millerton, New York, with disassembling and shipping Theo to his new neighborhood.
        >
        > I've reconfigured a standard bike box into the 47x28x12 dimensions of Cannondale boxes known to reduce UPS shipping costs and I just need to choose a destination. My initial home place will be two blocks east of Lake Merritt in Oakland and I figure I'm best off shipping to a bike shop since B2B shipping is less expensive. Beyond that, I'm open to either shipping to a shop that knows Xtracycles (e.g., Tip Top) and would like to reassemble mine, or picking up the box and getting help from a local fellow radical.
        >
        > Anyone have a recommendation? FYI: I'm planning to ship on Wednesday, July 6, so I'll expect to receive it around Wednesday the 13th. Also, I don't drive.
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > - Ben
        > Alive (and Pedaling) to Save the Planet

      • Jeremiah Ducate
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 25, 2011
          I would also encourage you to consider shipping via amtrak. ups has gotten
          really expensive for bikes. if you do ship ups you might be able to contact
          xtracycle and ship to their warehouse in oakland. if you don't know anyone here
          who can get a bike from amtrak or help with assembly i might be able to help. i
          live in oakland about a mile from emeryville amtrak and am a bike mechanic. when
          i shipped a bike to wi last summer they held it at the station for a few days
          and i think said they will hold it for a week, they weren't good about
          contacting me when it came in though i had to call them.

          1a. Re: receiving, reassembling Xtracycle in Oakland
          From: anthonyeberger

          Message
          1a. Re: receiving, reassembling Xtracycle in Oakland
          Posted by: "anthonyeberger" anthonyeberger@... anthonyeberger
          Date: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:22 am ((PDT))

          We shipped an Xtra (and rider) from WI to Seattle via Amtrak for a decent
          price. I've also shipped a BOB via grayhound from WI to Seattle and it was
          about 1/3 of what UPS wanted to ship the same device. The only draw back was
          that my buddy had to pick up the BOB at the grayhound station.

          Might be a cheaper way to get this to Cali.

          Keep riding

          Tony B.
          Riverwest WI

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Ben Rosenthal <earthsaver@...> wrote:

          > In a couple weeks, I'm moving to the Bay Area for the first time and it will be
          >the second home ever for my Xtracycle, Theo, since I've spent the last five
          >years living and working at Isabella Freedman Jewish Retreat Center in northwest
          >Connecticut. I'm going to get some help from Village Cycles in Millerton, New
          >York, with disassembling and shipping Theo to his new neighborhood.
          >
          > I've reconfigured a standard bike box into the 47x28x12 dimensions of
          >Cannondale boxes known to reduce UPS shipping costs and I just need to choose a
          >destination. My initial home place will be two blocks east of Lake Merritt in
          >Oakland and I figure I'm best off shipping to a bike shop since B2B shipping is
          >less expensive. Beyond that, I'm open to either shipping to a shop that knows
          >Xtracycles (e.g., Tip Top) and would like to reassemble mine, or picking up the
          >box and getting help from a local fellow radical.
          >
          > Anyone have a recommendation? FYI: I'm planning to ship on Wednesday, July 6,
          >so I'll expect to receive it around Wednesday the 13th. Also, I don't drive.
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          > - Ben
          > Alive (and Pedaling) to Save the Planet

          Messages in this topic (2)

          You're getting this message because you signed up to be an Xtracycle roots
          radical.

          ride to believe.

        • Ben Rosenthal
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 10 6:43 PM
            Fortunately, shipping UPS was the most convenient option for me since I've been living in a rural area. I reformed a standard bike box into approximate Cannondale dimensions (48x29x12) and took it with Theo and all his accessories, including helmet, lock, Camelbak, etc., to my LBS for assistance with disassembly and packaging. Then I brought the whole filled box home, printed a label, and put it on the porch. (We receive UPS deliveries several times a week.) The improved bike box saved me a bundle and I paid about $70.