Re: Sun Atlas Cargo Bike

  • W Nobles
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 14, 2011
      I picked mine up today from the LBS. $600 out the door for the bike itself. Here's what I posted about it in bikeforums.net:

      Mine arrived today - so far so good! Though I've only ridden it back from the bike shop, and not under load. A couple notes:

      As mentioned, the integrated rack will not take an Xtracycle snapdeck or flight deck. But the thing just lifts out and you can just install the standard Xtracycle v-racks and use the entire accessory set. Right now mine is rocking v-racks, freeloaders, snapdeck, magic carpet, and stoker bar. (Will post pictures tomorrow). If you wanted to go bargain style you could just get the hoodie and you're good to go.

      As others have noted, the componentry is crummy. cheap crankset, gearing, and brakes. Ultimately i'll end up upgrading them, but they're fine for now. Rides nicely, big fat tires, steering is light.

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "TIM_H" <tim_h_49068@...> wrote:

      > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "jtrops" <jtrops@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Has anyone on the list seen one of these bikes in person? Quite a few of my friends are interested after seeing how handy my Big Dummy has been over the past year. I have a couple of friends moving towards the Freeradical, but at least one other has serious interest in the Sun.
      > >
      > > If anyone has seen one of these what was the impression you got regarding quality, or anything else?
      > >
      > > It would be a special order to the local bike shop, and so before the order goes in it would be nice to get some idea about how the bike is aside from Interbike reviews.
      > >
      > > http://clevercycles.com/products/bicycles/family-cargo/sun-atlas-cargo/
      > >

      > One member of Bikeforum.net just took ownership of the Sun Cargo Bike.He mentioned answering any questions people might have.Not for sure but it's either the 7th or 8th page in the thread when he takes ownership.Happy Biking!
      >
      > http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/701265-Sun-cargo-bike

    • WV Tenor
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 15, 2011
        Try going over to http://clevercycles.com; they carry both, so should be able to tell you how they compare.

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "TIM_H" <tim_h_49068@...> wrote:

        > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "jtrops" <jtrops@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Has anyone on the list seen one of these bikes in person? Quite a few of my friends are interested after seeing how handy my Big Dummy has been over the past year. I have a couple of friends moving towards the Freeradical, but at least one other has serious interest in the Sun.
        > >
        > > If anyone has seen one of these what was the impression you got regarding quality, or anything else?
        > >
        > > It would be a special order to the local bike shop, and so before the order goes in it would be nice to get some idea about how the bike is aside from Interbike reviews.
        > >
        > > http://clevercycles.com/products/bicycles/family-cargo/sun-atlas-cargo/
        > >

        > One member of Bikeforum.net just took ownership of the Sun Cargo Bike.He mentioned answering any questions people might have.Not for sure but it's either the 7th or 8th page in the thread when he takes ownership.Happy Biking!
        >
        > http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/701265-Sun-cargo-bike

      • W N
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 26, 2011
          Some more info about this bike and why it is such a great deal from one of the folks who designed it:

          http://clevercycles.com/2011/06/02/sun-atlas-cargo/

          (Check out the various posts).

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "W Nobles" <wilnel2002@...> wrote:

          > I picked mine up today from the LBS. $600 out the door for the bike itself. Here's what I posted about it in bikeforums.net:
          >
          > Mine arrived today - so far so good! Though I've only ridden it back from the bike shop, and not under load. A couple notes:
          >
          > As mentioned, the integrated rack will not take an Xtracycle snapdeck or flight deck. But the thing just lifts out and you can just install the standard Xtracycle v-racks and use the entire accessory set. Right now mine is rocking v-racks, freeloaders, snapdeck, magic carpet, and stoker bar. (Will post pictures tomorrow). If you wanted to go bargain style you could just get the hoodie and you're good to go.
          >
          > As others have noted, the componentry is crummy. cheap crankset, gearing, and brakes. Ultimately i'll end up upgrading them, but they're fine for now. Rides nicely, big fat tires, steering is light.
          >
          > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "TIM_H" <tim_h_49068@> wrote:
          > >

          > > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "jtrops" <jtrops@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Has anyone on the list seen one of these bikes in person? Quite a few of my friends are interested after seeing how handy my Big Dummy has been over the past year. I have a couple of friends moving towards the Freeradical, but at least one other has serious interest in the Sun.
          > > >
          > > > If anyone has seen one of these what was the impression you got regarding quality, or anything else?
          > > >
          > > > It would be a special order to the local bike shop, and so before the order goes in it would be nice to get some idea about how the bike is aside from Interbike reviews.
          > > >
          > > > http://clevercycles.com/products/bicycles/family-cargo/sun-atlas-cargo/
          > > >

          > > One member of Bikeforum.net just took ownership of the Sun Cargo Bike.He mentioned answering any questions people might have.Not for sure but it's either the 7th or 8th page in the thread when he takes ownership.Happy Biking!
          > >
          > > http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/701265-Sun-cargo-bike

        • Matthew
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 27, 2011
            Hello. I'm new here. I'm interested in jumping into a long bike. I've been using my Sun Bicycle Cruz 3 spd. for shopping for a while.
            Having extra room on a long bike seems nice.

            I'm researching the Sun Atlas Cargo longbike..I've been following this thread and others on the web (the few that are out there) about this new entry into long bikes.

            A recent post by Robert on July 23rd on clever cycles seems not so positive especially since I was planning on using the P-Racks and snap deck with wide loaders on the Sun Cargo.

            Link to Clever cycles thread I referred to: http://clevercycles.com/2011/06/02/sun-atlas-cargo/

            I know a few in this group have the Sun Longbike. So I wanted to ask...

            Anyone using xtracycle racks? Wide Loaders? in the Sun Frame? want to comment on the fit.

            Today I noticed the Sun website says compatible with xtracycle bags.. I seem to remember a while ago it said compatible with most extra cycle accessories...?? so is this confirming that building tolerances might prevent use of xtra cycle racks as Robert's post suggests?

            Also the Robert review knocks the kick stand and headset. Anyone who has used one or owned on want to share your thoughts after some real use??

            Thanks..
            -Matthew
            San Antonio, Texas

            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 28, 2011
              I've had ours for a couple months now. Some of what Robert says is true (especially w/r/t kickstand), some not (I actually responded on that thread too)- at least as to my Atlas.

              So - if you are planning to use the steel rack that the Atlas comes with, it is not compatible with much, other than the bags. No cushions. etc. You will still need to get the adapter kit, since it has only 50% of the necessary bosses to mount the bags. But with the steel racks as shipped, the bags are compatible.

              The steel rack can be removed; it is not joined to the bike, other than by friction. took some elbow grease and a rubber mallet. I have standard xtracycle v-racks, they fit just fine. They are deeply seated below the quick release, etc. Because they fit, all the things that work with v-racks work: snapdeck, magic carpet, etc. That is how my bike is set up. I did try and install the v-racks backwards initially, and they "didn't fit" in just the way Robert described.

              I don't have wideloaders or footsies, but i see no reason why they wouldn't work - all of the necessary "holes" and pin locking positions are present.

              So my judgment is that the poster is wrong about those things. The kickstand? Yeah, it's not great, but it does the job for me. Note that the poster's complaint is that it is unstable with his kid sitting on there and trying to load groceries. I wouldn't put my kid on one relying on any kickstand alone. big dummy leaning stand, same problem. Atlas kickstand is certainly stable enough to load without your kid kicking around on there.

              Overall build quality, yes the components are not high end. not by a long shot. Brakes have a squishy feel that is unpleasant; the gearing is fine, and the ride quality is excellent, as others have noted.

              hope this helps.