Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: Sun Atlas Cargo Bike

Expand Messages
  • WV Tenor
    I ve been corresponding with them. It is compatable with the racks and bags, but will not accept the snapdeck or the center kickstand. I don t know if it will
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 7, 2011
    • 0 Attachment
      I've been corresponding with them.

      It is compatable with the racks and bags, but will not accept the snapdeck or the center kickstand. I don't know if it will accept a Stokemonkey, but the fact that they are sold by Clevercycles leads me to suspect that they would.

      My objection is that they have a derailleur; for a utility bike, one that will be ridden in all weathers, an internal hub drive makes more sense--all the gears tucked away from the grit and grime and muck Mother Nature can throw at a bike. A factor which Sun, being based in FLORIDA, probably didn't consider!
    • jtrops
      ... It s a good point about the derailleur except that it is a price point bike, and as such a derailleur is a good way to keep the cost low yet still offer a
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 7, 2011
      • 0 Attachment
        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "WV Tenor" <bruce_alan_wilson@...> wrote:
        >
        >
        > I've been corresponding with them.
        >
        > It is compatable with the racks and bags, but will not accept the snapdeck or the center kickstand. I don't know if it will accept a Stokemonkey, but the fact that they are sold by Clevercycles leads me to suspect that they would.
        >
        > My objection is that they have a derailleur; for a utility bike, one that will be ridden in all weathers, an internal hub drive makes more sense--all the gears tucked away from the grit and grime and muck Mother Nature can throw at a bike. A factor which Sun, being based in FLORIDA, probably didn't consider!
        >

        It's a good point about the derailleur except that it is a price point bike, and as such a derailleur is a good way to keep the cost low yet still offer a reasonable commuter/cargo bike with a decent gear range. I think a good consideration would be horizontal dropouts so that a geared hub is a more realistic upgrade. I don't know what the dropout is like on this bike, but my guess is that it's vertical.

        I wonder why it won't work with the center stand. If it's because it doesn't have the open tubes for the H racks that would sort of answer that question. Maybe I'll shoot clevercycles a message to get their impressions of it.
      • Gary Dunn
        HI all, New to the list, I have seen some of the Atlas product and it is not the most refined product..... Sun products, a part of J & B bike parts (Junk &
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 7, 2011
        • 0 Attachment
          HI all,

          New to the list, I have seen some of the Atlas product and it is not the most refined product..... 

          Sun products, a part of J & B bike parts (Junk & Bargains as known in the shop). that being said, I would check it out, because they have been on  a kick to improve quality....

          Just my 2cents...

          Gary

          On Jun 7, 2011, at 11:55 AM, WV Tenor wrote:

           


          I've been corresponding with them.

          It is compatable with the racks and bags, but will not accept the snapdeck or the center kickstand. I don't know if it will accept a Stokemonkey, but the fact that they are sold by Clevercycles leads me to suspect that they would.

          My objection is that they have a derailleur; for a utility bike, one that will be ridden in all weathers, an internal hub drive makes more sense--all the gears tucked away from the grit and grime and muck Mother Nature can throw at a bike. A factor which Sun, being based in FLORIDA, probably didn't consider!


        • Pete B
          The photo on the Clevercycles website shows it fitted with a Mugwump cushion (presumably on a
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 7, 2011
          • 0 Attachment
            The photo on the Clevercycles website shows it fitted with a Mugwump cushion (presumably on a Snapdeck) and having both front and rear bridge tubes open (for Wideloaders?).

            The Kickback won't work simply because the Atlas doesn't use a single centre tube from the front bridge to the bottom bracket, rather it has triangulated mini-stays.

            Maybe Clevercycles can clarify the snapdeck issue?

            Pete.B.
             

            Sun Atlas Cargo, $679, cro-mo

            Posted 2 June 2011 | Filed under From the workshop


            Yes, $679. Rides well! Shown with 2011 Xtracycle Freeloaders and Mugwump deck pad, sold separately. Will accommodate 2 Yepp Maxi child seats!

            2 Responses to “Sun Atlas Cargo, $679, cro-mo”

            1. Mark Stosberg Says: 

              It’s a welcome price point for a carg bike. So why pay $2k for a Big Dummy when this complete is $200 less than just a Frame of the Big Dummy?

            2. Todd (admin) Says: 

              Our first unit (a test) sold before we could check it out much. More coming. We can’t say we’ve pushed it to discover limitations, but some easy observations:

              • handles nicely, empty at least. the steering feels light, in a good way
              • it’s pretty light. no scale handy (we’re not that kind of shop) but it just might be lighter than a big dummy (would depend on parts). much lighter than mundo, with the same ridiculously high capacity claimed, 14mm rear axle etc.
              • components are sort of meh. what do you expect for the price? they’ll probably git er done.
              • welds aren’t pretty. paint’s not pretty. there’s this weird platypus spur on the rear dropouts like some CAD error that would maybe have cost $38.17 to fix, so they didn’t. frame shape’s not pretty, though starting with my own 2003 xtravois through custom longtail one-offs from sacha white, tony pereira and others, i’ve loved variations on a theme of mixte. that tube coming off the middle of the DT sort of blows the look for me.
              • $679? really?
              • my god, it’s cheap. how do they do that? anything bad you might have to say about the bike, the answer is, “yeah, but it’s REEEEEAAALLY cheap.”
              • yeah for xtracycle parts compatibility

              to your question: a big dummy is much better made, comes in many frame sizes, and has much better parts on it. more time will tell if the story goes past that.


            On 8 June 2011 04:30, jtrops <jtrops@...> wrote:
             


            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "WV Tenor" <bruce_alan_wilson@...> wrote:
            >
            >
            > I've been corresponding with them.
            >
            > It is compatable with the racks and bags, but will not accept the snapdeck or the center kickstand. I don't know if it will accept a Stokemonkey, but the fact that they are sold by Clevercycles leads me to suspect that they would.
            >
            > My objection is that they have a derailleur; for a utility bike, one that will be ridden in all weathers, an internal hub drive makes more sense--all the gears tucked away from the grit and grime and muck Mother Nature can throw at a bike. A factor which Sun, being based in FLORIDA, probably didn't consider!
            >

            It's a good point about the derailleur except that it is a price point bike, and as such a derailleur is a good way to keep the cost low yet still offer a reasonable commuter/cargo bike with a decent gear range. I think a good consideration would be horizontal dropouts so that a geared hub is a more realistic upgrade. I don't know what the dropout is like on this bike, but my guess is that it's vertical.

            I wonder why it won't work with the center stand. If it's because it doesn't have the open tubes for the H racks that would sort of answer that question. Maybe I'll shoot clevercycles a message to get their impressions of it.


          • todd
            ... there is no snapdeck. the steel v-racks are joined by a steel plate with some cutouts in it, welded. you could supply your own xtracycle v-racks and
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 8, 2011
            • 0 Attachment
              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Pete B <nackterman@...> wrote:

              > Maybe Clevercycles can clarify the snapdeck issue?

              there is no snapdeck. the steel v-racks are joined by a steel plate with some cutouts in it, welded. you could supply your own xtracycle v-racks and snapdeck/flightdeck if you so desired.
            • Bruce Alan Wilson
              According to my correspondance with them, yes you can use the wideloaders. Bruce Alan Wilson http://www.wvdemolay.org/
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 8, 2011
              • 0 Attachment
                According to my correspondance with them, yes you can use the wideloaders.
                 
                 
                 

                The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man.  Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish.  Only the bicycle remains pure in heart.  ~Iris Murdoch, The Red and the Green
              • TIM_H
                ... One member of Bikeforum.net just took ownership of the Sun Cargo Bike.He mentioned answering any questions people might have.Not for sure but it s either
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 14, 2011
                • 0 Attachment
                  --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "jtrops" <jtrops@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > Has anyone on the list seen one of these bikes in person? Quite a few of my friends are interested after seeing how handy my Big Dummy has been over the past year. I have a couple of friends moving towards the Freeradical, but at least one other has serious interest in the Sun.
                  >
                  > If anyone has seen one of these what was the impression you got regarding quality, or anything else?
                  >
                  > It would be a special order to the local bike shop, and so before the order goes in it would be nice to get some idea about how the bike is aside from Interbike reviews.
                  >
                  > http://clevercycles.com/products/bicycles/family-cargo/sun-atlas-cargo/
                  >

                  One member of Bikeforum.net just took ownership of the Sun Cargo Bike.He mentioned answering any questions people might have.Not for sure but it's either the 7th or 8th page in the thread when he takes ownership.Happy Biking!

                  http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/701265-Sun-cargo-bike
                • W Nobles
                  I picked mine up today from the LBS. $600 out the door for the bike itself. Here s what I posted about it in bikeforums.net: Mine arrived today - so far so
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 14, 2011
                  • 0 Attachment
                    I picked mine up today from the LBS. $600 out the door for the bike itself. Here's what I posted about it in bikeforums.net:

                    Mine arrived today - so far so good! Though I've only ridden it back from the bike shop, and not under load. A couple notes:

                    As mentioned, the integrated rack will not take an Xtracycle snapdeck or flight deck. But the thing just lifts out and you can just install the standard Xtracycle v-racks and use the entire accessory set. Right now mine is rocking v-racks, freeloaders, snapdeck, magic carpet, and stoker bar. (Will post pictures tomorrow). If you wanted to go bargain style you could just get the hoodie and you're good to go.

                    As others have noted, the componentry is crummy. cheap crankset, gearing, and brakes. Ultimately i'll end up upgrading them, but they're fine for now. Rides nicely, big fat tires, steering is light.

                    --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "TIM_H" <tim_h_49068@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "jtrops" <jtrops@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Has anyone on the list seen one of these bikes in person? Quite a few of my friends are interested after seeing how handy my Big Dummy has been over the past year. I have a couple of friends moving towards the Freeradical, but at least one other has serious interest in the Sun.
                    > >
                    > > If anyone has seen one of these what was the impression you got regarding quality, or anything else?
                    > >
                    > > It would be a special order to the local bike shop, and so before the order goes in it would be nice to get some idea about how the bike is aside from Interbike reviews.
                    > >
                    > > http://clevercycles.com/products/bicycles/family-cargo/sun-atlas-cargo/
                    > >
                    >
                    > One member of Bikeforum.net just took ownership of the Sun Cargo Bike.He mentioned answering any questions people might have.Not for sure but it's either the 7th or 8th page in the thread when he takes ownership.Happy Biking!
                    >
                    > http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/701265-Sun-cargo-bike
                    >
                  • WV Tenor
                    Try going over to http://clevercycles.com; they carry both, so should be able to tell you how they compare.
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 15, 2011
                    • 0 Attachment
                      Try going over to http://clevercycles.com; they carry both, so should be able to tell you how they compare.

                      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "TIM_H" <tim_h_49068@...> wrote:
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "jtrops" <jtrops@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Has anyone on the list seen one of these bikes in person? Quite a few of my friends are interested after seeing how handy my Big Dummy has been over the past year. I have a couple of friends moving towards the Freeradical, but at least one other has serious interest in the Sun.
                      > >
                      > > If anyone has seen one of these what was the impression you got regarding quality, or anything else?
                      > >
                      > > It would be a special order to the local bike shop, and so before the order goes in it would be nice to get some idea about how the bike is aside from Interbike reviews.
                      > >
                      > > http://clevercycles.com/products/bicycles/family-cargo/sun-atlas-cargo/
                      > >
                      >
                      > One member of Bikeforum.net just took ownership of the Sun Cargo Bike.He mentioned answering any questions people might have.Not for sure but it's either the 7th or 8th page in the thread when he takes ownership.Happy Biking!
                      >
                      > http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/701265-Sun-cargo-bike
                      >
                    • W N
                      Some more info about this bike and why it is such a great deal from one of the folks who designed it: http://clevercycles.com/2011/06/02/sun-atlas-cargo/
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 26, 2011
                      • 0 Attachment
                        Some more info about this bike and why it is such a great deal from one of the folks who designed it:

                        http://clevercycles.com/2011/06/02/sun-atlas-cargo/

                        (Check out the various posts).

                        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "W Nobles" <wilnel2002@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > I picked mine up today from the LBS. $600 out the door for the bike itself. Here's what I posted about it in bikeforums.net:
                        >
                        > Mine arrived today - so far so good! Though I've only ridden it back from the bike shop, and not under load. A couple notes:
                        >
                        > As mentioned, the integrated rack will not take an Xtracycle snapdeck or flight deck. But the thing just lifts out and you can just install the standard Xtracycle v-racks and use the entire accessory set. Right now mine is rocking v-racks, freeloaders, snapdeck, magic carpet, and stoker bar. (Will post pictures tomorrow). If you wanted to go bargain style you could just get the hoodie and you're good to go.
                        >
                        > As others have noted, the componentry is crummy. cheap crankset, gearing, and brakes. Ultimately i'll end up upgrading them, but they're fine for now. Rides nicely, big fat tires, steering is light.
                        >
                        > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "TIM_H" <tim_h_49068@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > >
                        > >
                        > > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "jtrops" <jtrops@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Has anyone on the list seen one of these bikes in person? Quite a few of my friends are interested after seeing how handy my Big Dummy has been over the past year. I have a couple of friends moving towards the Freeradical, but at least one other has serious interest in the Sun.
                        > > >
                        > > > If anyone has seen one of these what was the impression you got regarding quality, or anything else?
                        > > >
                        > > > It would be a special order to the local bike shop, and so before the order goes in it would be nice to get some idea about how the bike is aside from Interbike reviews.
                        > > >
                        > > > http://clevercycles.com/products/bicycles/family-cargo/sun-atlas-cargo/
                        > > >
                        > >
                        > > One member of Bikeforum.net just took ownership of the Sun Cargo Bike.He mentioned answering any questions people might have.Not for sure but it's either the 7th or 8th page in the thread when he takes ownership.Happy Biking!
                        > >
                        > > http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/701265-Sun-cargo-bike
                        > >
                        >
                      • Matthew
                        Hello. I m new here. I m interested in jumping into a long bike. I ve been using my Sun Bicycle Cruz 3 spd. for shopping for a while. Having extra room on a
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 27 12:45 AM
                        • 0 Attachment
                          Hello. I'm new here. I'm interested in jumping into a long bike. I've been using my Sun Bicycle Cruz 3 spd. for shopping for a while.
                          Having extra room on a long bike seems nice.


                          I'm researching the Sun Atlas Cargo longbike..I've been following this thread and others on the web (the few that are out there) about this new entry into long bikes.

                          A recent post by Robert on July 23rd on clever cycles seems not so positive especially since I was planning on using the P-Racks and snap deck with wide loaders on the Sun Cargo.


                          Link to Clever cycles thread I referred to: http://clevercycles.com/2011/06/02/sun-atlas-cargo/

                          I know a few in this group have the Sun Longbike. So I wanted to ask...

                          Anyone using xtracycle racks? Wide Loaders? in the Sun Frame? want to comment on the fit.

                          Today I noticed the Sun website says compatible with xtracycle bags.. I seem to remember a while ago it said compatible with most extra cycle accessories...?? so is this confirming that building tolerances might prevent use of xtra cycle racks as Robert's post suggests?


                          Also the Robert review knocks the kick stand and headset. Anyone who has used one or owned on want to share your thoughts after some real use??

                          Thanks..
                          -Matthew
                          San Antonio, Texas

                          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "WV Tenor" <bruce_alan_wilson@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > Try going over to http://clevercycles.com; they carry both, so should be able to tell you how they compare.
                          >
                          > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "TIM_H" <tim_h_49068@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > >
                          > >
                          > > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "jtrops" <jtrops@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Has anyone on the list seen one of these bikes in person? Quite a few of my friends are interested after seeing how handy my Big Dummy has been over the past year. I have a couple of friends moving towards the Freeradical, but at least one other has serious interest in the Sun.
                          > > >
                          > > > If anyone has seen one of these what was the impression you got regarding quality, or anything else?
                          > > >
                          > > > It would be a special order to the local bike shop, and so before the order goes in it would be nice to get some idea about how the bike is aside from Interbike reviews.
                          > > >
                          > > > http://clevercycles.com/products/bicycles/family-cargo/sun-atlas-cargo/
                          > > >
                          > >
                          > > One member of Bikeforum.net just took ownership of the Sun Cargo Bike.He mentioned answering any questions people might have.Not for sure but it's either the 7th or 8th page in the thread when he takes ownership.Happy Biking!
                          > >
                          > > http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/701265-Sun-cargo-bike
                          > >
                          >
                        • W N
                          I ve had ours for a couple months now. Some of what Robert says is true (especially w/r/t kickstand), some not (I actually responded on that thread too)- at
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jul 28 6:38 PM
                          • 0 Attachment
                            I've had ours for a couple months now. Some of what Robert says is true (especially w/r/t kickstand), some not (I actually responded on that thread too)- at least as to my Atlas.

                            So - if you are planning to use the steel rack that the Atlas comes with, it is not compatible with much, other than the bags. No cushions. etc. You will still need to get the adapter kit, since it has only 50% of the necessary bosses to mount the bags. But with the steel racks as shipped, the bags are compatible.

                            The steel rack can be removed; it is not joined to the bike, other than by friction. took some elbow grease and a rubber mallet. I have standard xtracycle v-racks, they fit just fine. They are deeply seated below the quick release, etc. Because they fit, all the things that work with v-racks work: snapdeck, magic carpet, etc. That is how my bike is set up. I did try and install the v-racks backwards initially, and they "didn't fit" in just the way Robert described.

                            I don't have wideloaders or footsies, but i see no reason why they wouldn't work - all of the necessary "holes" and pin locking positions are present.

                            So my judgment is that the poster is wrong about those things. The kickstand? Yeah, it's not great, but it does the job for me. Note that the poster's complaint is that it is unstable with his kid sitting on there and trying to load groceries. I wouldn't put my kid on one relying on any kickstand alone. big dummy leaning stand, same problem. Atlas kickstand is certainly stable enough to load without your kid kicking around on there.

                            Overall build quality, yes the components are not high end. not by a long shot. Brakes have a squishy feel that is unpleasant; the gearing is fine, and the ride quality is excellent, as others have noted.

                            hope this helps.

                            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew" <matthew2000tx@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > Hello. I'm new here. I'm interested in jumping into a long bike. I've been using my Sun Bicycle Cruz 3 spd. for shopping for a while.
                            > Having extra room on a long bike seems nice.
                            >
                            >
                            > I'm researching the Sun Atlas Cargo longbike..I've been following this thread and others on the web (the few that are out there) about this new entry into long bikes.
                            >
                            > A recent post by Robert on July 23rd on clever cycles seems not so positive especially since I was planning on using the P-Racks and snap deck with wide loaders on the Sun Cargo.
                            >
                            >
                            > Link to Clever cycles thread I referred to: http://clevercycles.com/2011/06/02/sun-atlas-cargo/
                            >
                            > I know a few in this group have the Sun Longbike. So I wanted to ask...
                            >
                            > Anyone using xtracycle racks? Wide Loaders? in the Sun Frame? want to comment on the fit.
                            >
                            > Today I noticed the Sun website says compatible with xtracycle bags.. I seem to remember a while ago it said compatible with most extra cycle accessories...?? so is this confirming that building tolerances might prevent use of xtra cycle racks as Robert's post suggests?
                            >
                            >
                            > Also the Robert review knocks the kick stand and headset. Anyone who has used one or owned on want to share your thoughts after some real use??
                            >
                            > Thanks..
                            > -Matthew
                            > San Antonio, Texas
                            >
                            > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "WV Tenor" <bruce_alan_wilson@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Try going over to http://clevercycles.com; they carry both, so should be able to tell you how they compare.
                            > >
                            > > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "TIM_H" <tim_h_49068@> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > >
                            > > >
                            > > > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "jtrops" <jtrops@> wrote:
                            > > > >
                            > > > > Has anyone on the list seen one of these bikes in person? Quite a few of my friends are interested after seeing how handy my Big Dummy has been over the past year. I have a couple of friends moving towards the Freeradical, but at least one other has serious interest in the Sun.
                            > > > >
                            > > > > If anyone has seen one of these what was the impression you got regarding quality, or anything else?
                            > > > >
                            > > > > It would be a special order to the local bike shop, and so before the order goes in it would be nice to get some idea about how the bike is aside from Interbike reviews.
                            > > > >
                            > > > > http://clevercycles.com/products/bicycles/family-cargo/sun-atlas-cargo/
                            > > > >
                            > > >
                            > > > One member of Bikeforum.net just took ownership of the Sun Cargo Bike.He mentioned answering any questions people might have.Not for sure but it's either the 7th or 8th page in the thread when he takes ownership.Happy Biking!
                            > > >
                            > > > http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/701265-Sun-cargo-bike
                            > > >
                            > >
                            >
                          Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.