Re: Dog carrier w/ FIXED PHOTO LINKS (Sorry!)

  • neiltravers
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2011
      > 2) I am really big on simplicity! I hate web sites, which ask for cookies
      > and waste bandwidth with unnecessary code, text, and background junk.

      Though there is an advantage to the reader being able to click next/previous rather than going back and forth to an index page (and a thumbnail index is a nice-to-have).

      There are photo gallery programs that can create all the html for you so you just have to upload some extra files with the photos, no fiddling with HTML required. You install the program and just run it on the files on your local machine before uploading the files.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_photo_gallery_software

      I think it is jalbum that I have used before and seemed pretty simple.

      Of course this is just a suggestion in case it helps you.
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2, 2011
        Neil,

        Thanks for the link to the photo gallery photos. You could not resist,
        could you? :)

        Apart from being into simplicity, I am also a bit of a control freak.
        Whenever I do make a site I actually still type all my own HTML. It bugs
        the heck out of me when automated HTML programs do not generate elegant
        clean code. I was one of those guys, who actually used a 300 baud dial-up
        modem when they were new on an Apple //c, then upgraded to a PC with DOS
        all the way until Windows NT finally came out.

        Regardless, if I do not end up using one of them to make things more
        user-friendly for my own photo/file sharing purposes, then I might use it
        to make it easier on me when producing galleries for another site or two.
        Of course you do realize if I set up a gallery site of the dog chariot
        with one of those programs, then the links I posted might end up being
        broken again. :)
        _TONE_
      • A
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 6, 2011
          Thanks Tone - you are a legend for resolving pics and you did an awesome job with the carrier!
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 8, 2011
            I just wanted to add an important side note about the dog carrier I
            built. While being in contact with me about a special order I placed,
            Alec at Xtracycle asked me to clarify the broken link to the dog chariot
            photos. Apparently, a customer of theirs wanted to figure out a way of
            carrying her dog, so Alec naturally wanted to let her know about the dog
            chariot I made. After I sent him the updated links, he replied to me with
            her forwarded message, in which she mentioned her dog is around seventy
            pounds.
            That is when it occurred to me that my dog chariot might not be suitable
            for a dog considerably over fifty pounds. Therefore, I just wanted to add
            this post on our RootsRadical forum to let any potential dog chariot
            builders know they should take that into consideration. What follows is
            most of my response to Alec, which contains all my current reasons for
            limiting my dog chariot design to be used with a dog weighing preferably
            less than fifty pounds. Additionally, while I am obviously confident
            enough in my dog chariot design to allow my own dog to ride in it, it
            should also be noted that anyone attempting to build their own dog
            chariot based on my design should do so at their own and their own dogs
            risk.

            Ride safe (both you and your furry companions),
            _TONE_.

            ---

            Right now my growing pup is 20-30 pounds, but I do not expect her to grow
            over 50 or even 45 for that matter. In my opinion the dog chariot I built
            could handle seventy pounds, however I believe handling the bike
            unbalanced with that much weight would be fairly difficult. I definitely
            know what it is like to haul unbalanced loads, and anything with a 0:50
            lbs. side-to-side ratio gets hard to handle. Keep in mind I also use a 3’
            long ~15 pound Kryptonite chain as a locking method, which I utilize as a
            ballast on the opposite side along with everything else I carry beside my
            dog.
            Other than handling during a ride, the weight alone might become an issue
            if the dog tries to mount the bike without a rider stabilizing the bike.
            Even my 20-30 pound puppy can sometimes cause my Big Dummy to tip
            backwards or to the side when she excitedly jumps on it while my bike is
            standing alone on the kick back. I would imagine a 70 pound dog would tip
            any long tail bike over just by stepping up onto one side.

            Furthermore, I based my measurements for the dog chariot rail heights on
            a 22” max adult dog height and about 11” shoulder width because my dog is
            almost all Border collie. I imagine a 70 pound dog would clearly be much
            bigger in all dimensions. Aside from a larger dog simply trying to
            comfortably sit, stand, or lay down within the foot print of a slightly
            widened wide-loader base, the opening where the dog would get on and off
            would obviously have to be wider for a dog that size.
            A more significant concern though is the height restriction of possible
            dog chariot top rails when securely attached to a V-rack and/or a
            long-loader. My dog chariot’s front rail upright attaches to a
            long-loader, which I believe offers a ~13” rail height suitable for a
            full grown collie. Of course anyone with a bigger dog could exclude the
            long loader and increase the rail height a couple of inches by strapping
            their dog chariot’s forward upright directly to the V-rack post. However,
            unfortunately the rear V-rack post offers a maximum height of about 7”.
            Here is a link to my scaled PDF diagram to visually explain what I am
            referring to.
            http://www.cranksgiving.net/XtraDogChariot/DogChariotDiagram-SideView.pdf
            The reason for this rear height limit is because at about 7” the rear
            V-rack bends forward diagonally toward the snap deck. That means if you
            tried to make the rear rail height of the dog chariot much higher you
            would not be able to support it as well when strapping its upright to the
            V-rack. With a larger dog standing in the dog chariot I would worry a 7”
            rear rail might actually present a danger to the dog because if the bike
            somehow started up a little too fast, was going up a really steep hill,
            or got bumped in the rear, then the pulling forces from the rear might
            cause the dogs butt to sway backward over the rail. Its legs would be let
            behind and at risk from banging into the rear rail and possibly cause the
            dog to loose footing. That might send the dog rolling over the rear rail
            and falling back into the ground while the bike is in motion.
          • Cara Lin Bridgman
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 10, 2011
              Just last week, I adopted a small dog, probably miniature schnauzer, and
              named him Snowy after the dog in the Tintin comics. Someone had given
              the little guy a haircut and then thrown him out onto the street. By
              the time I got Snowy, he had already started learning to be afraid of
              people.

              I've twice hauled Snowy to the vet on my bike. Being small and a little
              over 6 kg, he fits in a standard kitty carrier (he fills it up, but he
              can turn around). I installed a wide-loader on the right side and used
              one of the straps to hold the carrier in place. (I've got photos I need
              to post of two kitty carriers on that side for taking my cats to the vet.)

              Today on the way home from the vet, I raised the lid of the kitty
              carrier so Snowy could stick his head out. The tie strap went over the
              center of the carrier, essentially dividing that opening into two. I
              tied his leash to this strap, giving him enough leeway to turn around.
              It was loose enough he could jump out if he tried, but short enough to
              discourage him from doing that. Fortunately, he didn't even try. He's
              a good little dog.

              So, for those of you with smaller dogs, you don't need to build a
              chariot. Your carrying box can probably convert into one--especially if
              it has a door for access from the top. Snowy learned very quickly to
              jump in and out of the carrier through the door on the end.

              CL