Velo Orange Pass Hunter Rack

  • SEAN
    Message 1 of 9 , May 30 10:06 PM
      I am just finishing the last details on my new BD build after riding a FR on a old Diamondback mountain bike frame. I am still adjusting to all of the nuances but so far so good. Anyway, I am curious if any of you have tried to mount a velo orange pass hunter rack on a BD fork. I really like the rack. It has bosses on the sides for lights when I convert to a dyno hub and lug on the bottom for a fender mount. The issue I am having is it is way off on the top mount. I can cut and re-weld it pretty easy, but before I go to all that trouble I figured I would try the forum for your take.

      Thanks,
      Sean
    • Rich W
      Message 2 of 9 , May 31 12:19 AM
        Fork dimensions and canti mount positions vary considerably from fork to fork. When I mounted the Nitto M12 front rack to a 700C front fork on my Steelwool Tweed frame some judicious bending was required to get things to fit. I believe that the Pass Hunter rack, very similar to the Nitto M12, is designed to best fit a 700C fork with standard flat crown rather than a unicrown 26" front fork as is used on the BD.

        Even then there is no such thing as "Universal fit" as fork dimensions and wheel clearances vary so much between different bicycle makes and models even with same size wheels.

        Rich Wood

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "SEAN" <gear.head@...> wrote:

        > I am just finishing the last details on my new BD build after riding a FR on a old Diamondback mountain bike frame. I am still adjusting to all of the nuances but so far so good. Anyway, I am curious if any of you have tried to mount a velo orange pass hunter rack on a BD fork. I really like the rack. It has bosses on the sides for lights when I convert to a dyno hub and lug on the bottom for a fender mount. The issue I am having is it is way off on the top mount. I can cut and re-weld it pretty easy, but before I go to all that trouble I figured I would try the forum for your take.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Sean

      • David Backeberg
        Message 3 of 9 , May 31 4:23 AM
          On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 1:06 AM, SEAN <gear.head@...> wrote:
          > I am just finishing the last details on my new BD build after riding a FR on a old Diamondback mountain >bike frame. I am still adjusting to all of the nuances but so far so good. Anyway, I am curious if any of >you have tried to mount a velo orange pass hunter rack on a BD fork. I really like the rack. It has >bosses on the sides for lights when I convert to a dyno hub and lug on the bottom for a fender mount. >The issue I am having is it is way off on the top mount. I can cut and re-weld it pretty easy, but before I >go to all that trouble I figured I would try the forum for your take.

          I've heard that even the really nice Surly front rack has trouble fitting.

          If you're going to weld or cut, I would humbly suggest you fabricate
          an adapter that makes it work, rather than cutting either the rack or
          the fork themselves. Most real hardware stores sell steel or aluminum
          bar stock which I've used to make these kind of 'adapters'.
        • David Backeberg
          Message 4 of 9 , May 31 4:30 AM
            On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 7:23 AM, David Backeberg <dbackeberg@...> wrote:
            > If you're going to weld or cut, I would humbly suggest you fabricate
            > an adapter that makes it work, rather than cutting either the rack or
            > the fork themselves. Most real hardware stores sell steel or aluminum
            > bar stock which I've used to make these kind of 'adapters'.

            I just went to Velo Orange to see what this rack actually looked like.
            And now I take back what I said and I think cutting might be your best
            bet. But then again, I don't know what your time is worth.

            The mod I saw somewhere for making the Surly front rack was a lot more
            straightforward, and the price difference between the racks isn't that
            big. Do you want to return your Velo Orange rack and try the Surly
            rack?
          • gear.head@verizon.net
            Message 5 of 9 , May 31 7:17 AM
              I looked at a lot of racks before settling on this one. Particularly since it has nice compact dimensions and fender/light mount options.

              The cut and reweld would be pretty straight forward. Just a cut and flip of the top center mount. I tend to change my mind fairly often so I will probably make an adapter to run it for a bit before cutting it. That way I can still have the option of moving it to another bike at a later date.

              I was hoping someone had done something with this rack already.

              Thanks for the continued input.

              Sean

              From: David Backeberg <dbackeberg@...>
              Sender: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 07:30:55 -0400
              To: <rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com>
              ReplyTo: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
              Subject: Re: [rootsradicals] Velo Orange Pass Hunter Rack

              Message 6 of 9 , May 31 7:23 AM
                I think you are correct that is a very similar rack. And yes, I was well aware there would be some customizing involved due to its intended purpose. Can you send me some picture? Where did you bend it?

                Sean

                From: "Rich W" <astronut1001@...>
                Sender: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 07:19:51 +0000
                To: <rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com>
                ReplyTo: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
                Subject: [rootsradicals] Re: Velo Orange Pass Hunter Rack

                Fork dimensions and canti mount positions vary considerably from fork to fork. When I mounted the Nitto M12 front rack to a 700C front fork on my Steelwool Tweed frame some judicious bending was required to get things to fit. I believe that the Pass Hunter rack, very similar to the Nitto M12, is designed to best fit a 700C fork with standard flat crown rather than a unicrown 26" front fork as is used on the BD.

                Even then there is no such thing as "Universal fit" as fork dimensions and wheel clearances vary so much between different bicycle makes and models even with same size wheels.

                Rich Wood

                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "SEAN" <gear.head@...> wrote:

                > I am just finishing the last details on my new BD build after riding a FR on a old Diamondback mountain bike frame. I am still adjusting to all of the nuances but so far so good. Anyway, I am curious if any of you have tried to mount a velo orange pass hunter rack on a BD fork. I really like the rack. It has bosses on the sides for lights when I convert to a dyno hub and lug on the bottom for a fender mount. The issue I am having is it is way off on the top mount. I can cut and re-weld it pretty easy, but before I go to all that trouble I figured I would try the forum for your take.
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Sean

              • Rich W
                Message 7 of 9 , May 31 10:52 AM
                  Sean;

                  The bends I did are not readily noticeable once installed so photos would be little help to you IMO and I am no photographer. IIRC I had to bend the lower legs in two planes, horizontally in order to get the correct width for my cantilever brake mounts and also vertically in order to end up with the top mount in the right position for the drilled hole in the fork crown.

                  I may also have had to bend the top mount arm slightly. I know I had to shorten it's threaded portion and place the installation nut inside the fork steerer tube. I actually used two nuts on the top arm, one outside the fork tube in front and one inside it, to allow some horizontal adjustment of the rack for leveling purposes.

                  I spent some time on things in order to end up with the rack platform dead on flat fore and aft. Definitely not a simple bolt on without modifications installation.

                  Rich Wood

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 31 11:15 AM
                    Experience with a different VO rack. The results are okay, and I use the rack, but it took at lot of (quite noticeable) bending.

                    http://dr2chase.wordpress.com/2010/09/05/vo-mini-rack-installed-on-weinmann-vainqueur-999-brakes/

                    David
                  • gear.head@verizon.net
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 3, 2011
                      I think I have figured out a solution. I will post pictures soon.

                      From: David Chase <dr2chase@...>
                      Sender: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
                      Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 14:15:49 -0400
                      To: <rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com>