Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Advice - Considering an Xtracycle

  • Steve Pepper
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 1, 2007
      Is there anyone near you who you could have a try out.

      I use mine for work and it's great not to have to worry if you need to
      transport anything it's fine for shopping as well. It's hitched to a cheap
      mountain bike but I changed to road tires as there was too much drag on the
      originals.

      Most days I ride it in preference to my Brompton as it has lower gears andf
      it's a little hilly here in Harrogate where I live.

      Just my two pence worth

      Steve
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 1, 2007
        > Here are my questions:
        >
        > 1) Is it really practical to expect to take a 9/10 year old kid
        > to school every day on the X, about 2 miles? She is comfortable on
        > her trail-a-bike and a good rider.
        I think so. I have a 9-year-old daughter, it's pretty easy with her
        on the back. In at least one case, she got tired while riding her
        own bike, we ditched it and continued to the grocery store with
        her on the back, went shopping, came home, picked up her bike,
        lashed its front tire to the X, and kept on riding with her, the
        groceries,
        and her bike all on the X. The wiggliness of the kid matters, too.
        > 2) Is it practical to expect to be able to build an X bike that
        > we both could ride?
        I think so. Start with a frame suited to your wife,
        and add an extra-long seatpost and quick-release
        for the height. I'm not sure what the handlebar
        compromise would be; consider Nitto Albatross
        bars, I think. (The big bars might give you more
        control; a big load is, well, a big load.)
        > 3) Any experience or advice about the Townie, good or bad? Or
        > any of the other complete bikes?
        My mom has a Townie, but no X on it. I think if you are already
        comfortable on other bikes, you would be better off converting
        a mountain bike. The Townie's interesting and comfy, but I like
        a regular bike better.
        > 4) Cost is a factor but usability is a bigger factor. Any
        > advice on what kind of bike or the build versus buy options?
        I would just add a FreeRadical to an existing mountain bike,
        assuming you have one that is the right size. If it has disk brakes,
        that's better. I would put off fiddling with the handlebars at first,
        though I have spent quite a lot of time fiddling with mine.
        All else being equal, a steel frame is preferred, but otherwise,
        go for size and good brakes first.

        Indexed shifters (which you probably have) are a wonderful
        thing. It's harder to hear what's going on back at the rear
        derailleur, and impossible to see, so you really want that to
        work.

        For street and light off-road riding, lose the clunky knobby tires,
        and get something wide and slick-ish. I run 2.3" Schwalbe
        Big Apples, at 60psi, and they are great.

        David
      • Josie Kirton
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 1, 2007
          For Juergen, and others who haul there kids around, I'm just wondering what
          kind of distances you go, and how hard it is to be pulling that much extra
          weight. I have two kids, 3 1/2 and 6 1/2, who I'd like to take to school and
          back on the xtracycle. Right now I have a handle bar seat (bobike mini) for
          the three year old, and a trail-a-bike for the 6 year old. I need to make a
          switch to the xtracyle because my daughter's about the grow out of her seat
          up front, and my son's not ready yet to ride long distances on his own. I'm
          just worried about the weight on a four mile trip to school where no one is
          is helping me pedal. I'd love to hear people's experiences of traveling
          around with kids, how far they go, how much of a difference it makes to have
          two people sitting on the back, etc. Our school is about 4 miles away, and
          mostly flat, but a few inclines on the way. The trip home is easy.

          Thanks so much for any feedback.
          Josie

          http://newlivehotmail.com
        • Juergen Weichert
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 1, 2007

            wy_jimr wrote:

            > OK, so I found the Xtracycle website and thought it looked awesome,
            > but I am not sure if it is for me or not. I would like to start bike
            > commuting more and use a bike for errands etc. and hoping the X would
            > help me do that, otherwise I drive a pickup – not the most
            > practical. Any advice from experience would be very much appreciated.
            >
            > Background info: We currently have 6 bikes for a family of 3; my
            > wife and I each have a Mtn and road bike, 9yr old daughter has a Mtn
            > bike and Adams Trail-a-bike. My daily routine is to drop my daughter
            > at school which is just a few blocks from work. When I bike, she
            > rides on her trail-a-bike to school and takes the bus home and I ride
            > the trail-a-bike home empty. If I know I need to pick up something
            > after work I drive instead. I don't cycle to work often as a
            > result. I am a capable/avid cyclist but ride mostly for
            > recreation/exercise. My wife is a less avid cyclist but very capable
            > also (did a 400 mile tour in 6 days a couple years ago in Wyoming).
            > If I got an Xtracycle, it would not go on any of our current bikes
            > but would replace the trail-a bike. I would like for me and my wife
            > to both be able to comfortably ride it; I am 5' 10" and she is 5' 5",
            > we are both about 40 yrs old.
            >
            > I looked at both the complete bikes and the kits. I am pretty decent
            > with a wrench and would feel comfortable building one with a kit. I
            > considered the Electra Townie 21 as an option that we both could
            > ride, but am concerned about some comments I saw about the riding
            > position tending to push you off the back of the seat when loaded or
            > climbing; I have never ridden one. I know my wife won't ride any
            > bike unless it fits her pretty well and it is easy to ride. We live
            > in a place with 4 distinct seasons and some hills. Options I have
            > considered are: 1) Get a complete Townie, 2) get a complete free
            > radical kit and a new Mtn bike we could both ride and build it, 3)
            > find a used Mtn bike and a kit and build it out, 4) do nothing.
            >
            > Here are my questions:
            >
            > 1) Is it really practical to expect to take a 9/10 year old kid
            > to school every day on the X, about 2 miles? She is comfortable on
            > her trail-a-bike and a good rider.
            >
            > 2) Is it practical to expect to be able to build an X bike that
            > we both could ride?
            >
            > 3) Any experience or advice about the Townie, good or bad? Or
            > any of the other complete bikes?
            >
            > 4) Cost is a factor but usability is a bigger factor. Any
            > advice on what kind of bike or the build versus buy options?
            >
            > Thank you in advance for any and all advice.
            >
            > Jim
            >
            > __.

          • Juergen Weichert
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 1, 2007
              Just gear down and take your time.
              I have a BionX electric assist on mine so naturally it is much easier to
              climb hills. Without the assist turned on it works OK too though - just
              a bit slower. I generally take it pretty easy with the kids on board
              anyways.
              Juergen

            • Stuart Edwards
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 1, 2007
                I travel about 10 miles with my 6 and 8 year olds, on a regular basis. It can be tough going, but it is always fun!

                We once went on an over night tour, on the first day we travelled 30miles  (with gear too) the second day we travelled 14miles . We went mountainbiking on another day about 25miles (that was a killer because my bike is a hybird, we (wishfully) carried my daughters bike too in case she had the inclination to ride.

                Any thing is possible with a bit of practice. :-)

                Josie Kirton wrote:
> [...]
                >>> radical kit and a new Mtn bike we could both ride and build it, 3)
                >>> find a used Mtn bike and a kit and build it out, 4) do nothing.
                >>>
                >>> Here are my questions:
                >>>
                >>> 1) Is it really practical to expect to take a 9/10 year old kid
                >>> to school every day on the X, about 2 miles? She is comfortable on
                >>> her trail-a-bike and a good rider.
                >>>
                >>> 2) Is it practical to expect to be able to build an X bike that
                >>> we both could ride?
                >>>
                >>> 3) Any experience or advice about the Townie, good or bad? Or
                >>> any of the other complete bikes?
                >>>
                >>> 4) Cost is a factor but usability is a bigger factor. Any
                >>> advice on what kind of bike or the build versus buy options?
                >>>
                >>> Thank you in advance for any and all advice.
                >>>
                >>> Jim
                >>>
                >>> __.
                >>>

                >> You're getting this message because you signed up to be an Xtracycle roots

                ride to believe.
                Yahoo! Groups Links

                <*> Your email settings:
                   Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                   (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                   mailto: rootsradicals-digest@yahoogroups.com

                   http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                --
                Stuart Edwards
                Cargo Bike New Zealand
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 1, 2007
                  On 8/1/07, David Chase <dr2chase@...> wrote:

                  For street and light off-road riding, lose the clunky knobby tires,
                  and get something wide and slick-ish.  I run 2.3" Schwalbe
                  Big Apples, at 60psi, and they are great.

                  I have chosen to go with Primo Comet 26 x 1.5 tires and they are a super street tire and only $20!  Can run them at 100 psi if you like, I run at 80 or so and they are super.   My bike is a Mountain bike (an elderly, battered, Jamis Durango Sport)  why not set up a bike for your 10 year old and ride WITH her to school and she can ride home on her own.(I was riding my bike to school at 6 and 7 years old!  so were my siblings!)   as far as the X goes, I too would recommend a mountain bike that suits you and your wife, or better still, instead of buying a complete freeradical bike and X why not spend the same money and buy a pair of Freeradicals and mount them on bikes you already like and that fit you.

                  My impressions are probably not real valid, because I have only had my X for 2 days now, but I have ridden a total of about 40 miles on it so far.  Two trips to the store, one for about 3 days worth (6 bags) of groceries. and two trips to and from work (both today as it happens!)  The Mountain bike is lively, smooth and handles BETTER with the X than without it.  It seems to climb faster too.  I can't imagine why, it is heavier by 5 lbs!  But it is very stable!  Carrying stuff is a non problem!  I forgot and toted around a small folding camp stool for 2 days.  this morning I tossed my sandals in the bags, followed by my hat, a folder for the investment BS from the HR department, and my clipboard (I am writing yet ANOTHER BOOK!  this  one on Children's entertainment)  the top pocket holds my lock, battery charger, and small tools,  the rest goes into the big pockets.

                  Really, instead of buying a special bike and fiddling with it to get it to fit you both (it will likely fit neither of you well) simply buy a PAIR of Free Radicals and put them on your mountain bikes, it will IMPROVE the mountain bikes to no end!  If you have to pick something up at the store, you can stash all sorts of stuff in the bags!   I wouldn't be afraid to haul a watermelon in there!
                  mark

                  Mark  Garvey
                  Cedar Rapids, Iowa free state!

                  Check out the web site at:
                  http://www.vine-ave.com

                  contact us to have INVISIBLE INC! appear at your next program!  Details at www.vine-ave.com

                  I am a bicycling lifestylist!
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 1, 2007
                    I would worry more about the handling and less about the weight.
                    Low gears help you cope with hills, and you are likely to get stronger
                    pretty quickly (how are your lungs? I have been handily passed by
                    women much smaller -- and lighter -- than me on hill climbs in the past.
                    I am 220lbs all by myself). And, if you have weight-related
                    handling problems, they'll be larger on the descents, at higher speeds.

                    I met a woman in Cambridge with a load like yours on an X -- two kids,
                    perhaps of those ages. The problem you will have is that what you
                    will want to do, in the interests of safety, is put the little kid
                    sitting
                    forward of the big kid, but the handling advantage of having the big
                    kid in front is so large that she had the smaller child in back.

                    Other people have some experience putting kiddie seats on Xs;
                    that might work for you, too.

                    On 2007-08-01, at 5:47 PM, Josie Kirton wrote:

                    > For Juergen, and others who haul there kids around, I'm just
                    > wondering what
                    > kind of distances you go, and how hard it is to be pulling that
                    > much extra
                    > weight. I have two kids, 3 1/2 and 6 1/2, who I'd like to take to
                    > school and
                    > back on the xtracycle..... I'd love to hear people's experiences of
                    > traveling
                    > around with kids, how far they go, how much of a difference it
                    > makes to have
                    > two people sitting on the back, etc. Our school is about 4 miles
                    > away, and
                    > mostly flat, but a few inclines on the way. The trip home is easy.
                  • mijatov.iven
                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 1, 2007
                      Tonight we went to eat dinner and it was about a 5 mile round trip. 72
                      lb 6-yr old on the deck and 27 lb 3-yr old in a Burley Cub. Handles
                      great - Townie is very forgiving!

                      I've ridden 10+ miles with them before with out much of a problem.

                      The 6-yr old has a Townie 7 that he rides during the day (and low
                      traffic times). We are very selective with our routes when he's riding
                      solo.

                      -Crazy

                      > I would worry more about the handling and less about the weight.
                      > Low gears help you cope with hills, and you are likely to get stronger
                      > pretty quickly (how are your lungs? I have been handily passed by
                      > women much smaller -- and lighter -- than me on hill climbs in the past.
                      > I am 220lbs all by myself). And, if you have weight-related
                      > handling problems, they'll be larger on the descents, at higher speeds.
                      >
                      > I met a woman in Cambridge with a load like yours on an X -- two kids,
                      > perhaps of those ages. The problem you will have is that what you
                      > will want to do, in the interests of safety, is put the little kid
                      > sitting
                      > forward of the big kid, but the handling advantage of having the big
                      > kid in front is so large that she had the smaller child in back.
                      >
                      > Other people have some experience putting kiddie seats on Xs;
                      > that might work for you, too.
                      >
                      > On 2007-08-01, at 5:47 PM, Josie Kirton wrote:
                      >
                      > > For Juergen, and others who haul there kids around, I'm just
                      > > wondering what
                      > > kind of distances you go, and how hard it is to be pulling that
                      > > much extra
                      > > weight. I have two kids, 3 1/2 and 6 1/2, who I'd like to take to
                      > > school and
                      > > back on the xtracycle..... I'd love to hear people's experiences of
                      > > traveling
                      > > around with kids, how far they go, how much of a difference it
                      > > makes to have
                      > > two people sitting on the back, etc. Our school is about 4 miles
                      > > away, and
                      > > mostly flat, but a few inclines on the way. The trip home is easy.

                    • liza mattana
                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 1, 2007
                        we're letting a friend borrow our xtracycle this summer. it has a Companion Carrier front seat that his 3 yr old daughter rides, and his 8 yr old son rides on back. they're really enjoying it, especially the 3 yr old. they have it parked in their living room when it's not "in use" and little Theo sits on it when she watches movies. our daughter is too big now for me to haul around without any help, so the x has become a loaner.

                        we have a four year old girl, 43 lbs, and we haul her to school daily on our tandem for the 2 mile RT commute. we do most of our errands and get-arounds with this bike. most of the trips are under 10 miles with some hills. the ride from downtown to our house involves more than 500 ft of climbing in 1 mile. we do most of the work, and she stokes when we're climbing. it's a little bit of help, but it makes a huge difference for me! we also took a camping trip this summer, 20 miles RT, and our daughter totally loved it. she prefers pedaling and told us so.

                        for us right now, the tandem is a better fit. but the xtracycle was a great asset when she was younger. i wish we would have gotten it and the front seat when she was 6mths old. then we could have enjoyed it for 3+ years.

                        liza

                        Josie Kirton wrote:
> [...]
                        >>> radical kit and a new Mtn bike we could both ride and build it, 3)
                        >>> find a used Mtn bike and a kit and build it out, 4) do nothing.
                        >>>
                        >>> Here are my questions:
                        >>>
                        >>> 1) Is it really practical to expect to take a 9/10 year old kid
                        >>> to school every day on the X, about 2 miles? She is comfortable on
                        >>> her trail-a-bike and a good rider.
                        >>>
                        >>> 2) Is it practical to expect to be able to build an X bike that
                        >>> we both could ride?
                        >>>
                        >>> 3) Any experience or advice about the Townie, good or bad? Or
                        >>> any of the other complete bikes?
                        >>>
                        >>> 4) Cost is a factor but usability is a bigger factor. Any
                        >>> advice on what kind of bike or the build versus buy options?
                        >>>
                        >>> Thank you in advance for any and all advice.
                        >>>
                        >>> Jim
                        >>>
                        >>> __.
                        >>>

                        >> You're getting this message because you signed up to be an Xtracycle roots

                        http://www.pedals2people.org
                        spokane, wa
                      • Jeff Ong
                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 1, 2007
                          Jim;

                          I second David's point about the Townie being a very different bike
                          from the "performance" bikes it sounds like you're used to. I'd be
                          more inclined to stick it on a rigid mountain bike -- that's what I
                          did, and it's already a VERY different feeling bike than any of my
                          "normal" bikes.

                          I'd tend to think the Townie would be a little frustrating for you,
                          as an experienced cyclist. I hope this doesn't offend anyone here,
                          but from what I've seen, it's designed for fairly casual use, and is
                          particularly meant for people who want to be able to place both feet
                          on the ground when coming to a complete stop. The Townie itself,
                          without the Free Radical, weighs in at around 40 lbs, and it's a
                          pretty discouraging bike if your rides include any real hills (this
                          from a friend who attempted her daily commute on one). The Free
                          Radical with bags, etc., adds an extra 10.

                          You'll like the way a real mountain bike feels with the Free Rad on
                          it... build it out more upright than you'd ever build a singletrack
                          bike, stick some big fat slicks on there, and get ready to ride a
                          little slower than you do on any of your existing bikes! It was quite
                          an adjustment for me, as a road/mountain bike guy. It's fun,
                          though... I don't mind slowing down a little bit and just sitting up,
                          looking around, and spinning slowly up a hill.

                          Also, for what it's worth, I don't think I'd bother trying to ride
                          actual "singletrack" on an Xtracycle -- at least the singletrack I
                          think of when I think about XC mountain biking, which can include 2-3
                          foot drops, 12-inch log crossings, etc. I'm sure it would be fine or
                          even great for touring on dirt roads, rutted jeep tracks or narrow
                          but smooth trails (I've ridden some fire roads and light doubletrack
                          on it, and it does OK). But you certainly won't be hopping the rear
                          end around tight switchbacks, or negotiating rock gardens with it.

                          Don't get me wrong -- I'm really enjoying the X, and find it very
                          useful and fun to ride. But you will definitely notice the large,
                          somewhat sluggish object attached to the back of your bike! Some of
                          the Xtracycle material makes it seem like there are no compromises
                          involved, and that's just not the case... it's like the Dutch bike
                          thing -- you just have to have a different (i.e., non-Lance-ish!)
                          mindset when riding one.

                          Best,

                          Jeff
                          --

                          -----
                          Jeff Ong, Managing Partner, Leadcleaner (http://www.leadcleaner.com)
                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 2, 2007
                            Thanks to everyone who responded to my request for advice; I think
                            your recommendations and experience will prove invaluable.

                            If you are interested, this is what we have decided to do: Get the
                            Xtracycle kit and put it on my wife's Mtn bike (old Trek steel frame,
                            fully rigid, 3 x 7 gearing). Add riser bars and an adjustable stem,
                            already have quick release seat. Add footsies, slick tires and a
                            stoker bar for passengers and see how it works!

                            Thanks again.

                            Jim

                            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "wy_jimr" <jim@...> wrote:

> [...]
                            > considered are: 1) Get a complete Townie, 2) get a complete free
                            > radical kit and a new Mtn bike we could both ride and build it, 3)
                            > find a used Mtn bike and a kit and build it out, 4) do nothing.
                            >

                            > Here are my questions:
                            >
                            > 1) Is it really practical to expect to take a 9/10 year old
                            kid
                            > to school every day on the X, about 2 miles? She is comfortable on
                            > her trail-a-bike and a good rider.
                            >
                            > 2) Is it practical to expect to be able to build an X bike
                            that
                            > we both could ride?
                            >
                            > 3) Any experience or advice about the Townie, good or bad? Or
                            > any of the other complete bikes?
                            >
                            > 4) Cost is a factor but usability is a bigger factor. Any
                            > advice on what kind of bike or the build versus buy options?
                            >

                            > Thank you in advance for any and all advice.

                          • Ryano
                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 2, 2007
                              Sounds pretty good to me.  Go for it.

                              On 03/08/07, wy_jimr <jim@...> wrote:

> [...]

                              > considered are: 1) Get a complete Townie, 2) get a complete free
                              > radical kit and a new Mtn bike we could both ride and build it, 3)
                              > find a used Mtn bike and a kit and build it out, 4) do nothing.
                              >

                              > Here are my questions:
                              >
                              > 1) Is it really practical to expect to take a 9/10 year old
                              kid
                              > to school every day on the X, about 2 miles? She is comfortable on
                              > her trail-a-bike and a good rider.
                              >
                              > 2) Is it practical to expect to be able to build an X bike
                              that
                              > we both could ride?
                              >
                              > 3) Any experience or advice about the Townie, good or bad? Or
                              > any of the other complete bikes?
                              >
                              > 4) Cost is a factor but usability is a bigger factor. Any
                              > advice on what kind of bike or the build versus buy options?
                              >

                              > Thank you in advance for any and all advice.

                            • Derek Pearson
                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 2, 2007
                                I'd consider getting the wideloaders in place of the footsies. They can be used for the same thing, and the wideloaders open up a lot more
                                possibilities.

> [...]

                                > considered are: 1) Get a complete Townie, 2) get a complete free
                                > radical kit and a new Mtn bike we could both ride and build it, 3)
                                > find a used Mtn bike and a kit and build it out, 4) do nothing.
                                >

                                > Here are my questions:
                                >
                                > 1) Is it really practical to expect to take a 9/10 year old
                                kid
                                > to school every day on the X, about 2 miles? She is comfortable on
                                > her trail-a-bike and a good rider.
                                >
                                > 2) Is it practical to expect to be able to build an X bike
                                that
                                > we both could ride?
                                >
                                > 3) Any experience or advice about the Townie, good or bad? Or
                                > any of the other complete bikes?
                                >
                                > 4) Cost is a factor but usability is a bigger factor. Any
                                > advice on what kind of bike or the build versus buy options?
                                >

                                > Thank you in advance for any and all advice.

                                Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.
                              • jegarh@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 2, 2007
                                  -----
                                  Derek Pearson  said.....

                                  >I'd consider getting the wideloaders in place of the footsies. They can be used for the same thing, and the >wideloaders open up a lot more
                                  >possibilities.

                                  I have commuted over 6000 miles on my Xtra built up on a $40 yard sale hard tail Mongoose.  I carry a 22" long piece of 3/4" CPVC that I slide through the front transverse element of the Xtra attachment so any passenger I might have to carry along will have some "foot pegs" to rest their feet on.  I toss it in one of the small pockets in the Freeloader when it isn't being used.

                                  Jerry (saved buying $5,000+ fuel in the last 5 years) Rhodes

                                • Mark Garvey
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Aug 2, 2007
                                    On 8/2/07, wy_jimr <jim@...> wrote:
                                    Thanks to everyone who responded to my request for advice; I think
                                    your recommendations and experience will prove invaluable.

                                    If you are interested, this is what we have decided to do:  Get the
                                    Xtracycle kit and put it on my wife's Mtn bike (old Trek steel frame,
                                    fully rigid, 3 x 7 gearing).  Add riser bars and an adjustable stem,
                                    already have quick release seat.  Add footsies, slick tires and a
                                    stoker bar for passengers and see how it works!

                                    Thanks again.

                                    That sounds really great to me too.  I have the wideloadeers and have ordered the Footsies because I think they are COOL and my grand daughter will love them!  I am checking with a buddy who loves to build wheels about building me up a set of BOMB proof wheels with disc brakes.  My bike will have to have a disc fork or have a disc tab brazed on.  The X seems to really improve my bike a great deal!   I got the bike on Freecycle (a good source for bike parts!) as a frame only. it is a Jamis  durango Sport from a few years ago and is scarred and dinged, but it cost me NOTHING!  I had to put some cheap wheels on it and my Brooks B-66 saddle as well as a set of handlebars and a new stem, but it is very nice to ride!

                                    The best part is that I can go to the store for groceries and not worry about not having room for my stuff!  I can ride to work and have room for my spare shoes, and a place to stash my helmet while at work.  It is pretty versatile.

                                    mark

                                    Mark  Garvey
                                    Cedar Rapids, Iowa free state!

                                    Check out the web site at:
                                    http://www.vine-ave.com

                                    contact us to have INVISIBLE INC! appear at your next program!  Details at www.vine-ave.com

                                    I am a bicycling lifestylist!
                                  • Cathode Ray
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Aug 2, 2007
                                      At 7:24 PM -0500 2/8/07, Mark Garvey wrote:
                                      >have ordered the Footsies because I think they are COOL and my grand
                                      >daughter will love them

                                      They are cool to start with; but once the the nut inserts pull out of
                                      the tubing the cool factor plummets to zero and you are left with two
                                      pieces of wood and two short pieces of Al tubing. (This is with adult
                                      passengers, YMMV with your granddaughter).

                                      I cut the leg off a tubular steel chair and use that instead. A piece
                                      about 360 mm long works for me. I put a rubber cap on each end.
                                    • Mark Garvey
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Aug 2, 2007
                                        On 8/2/07, Juergen Weichert <juergen@...> wrote:
                                        Wideloaders will work for passengers, but footsies are much better. I
                                        would get both. I usually keep the footsies either installed or in the
                                        bags, and only install the wide loaders when required for bigger loads.
                                        You can also carry the wide loaders in the bags quite easily "just in
                                        case" you might need them.
                                        Juergen

                                        OK, how are the Footsies secured in the frame?  With spring clips like the Wideloaders?

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Aug 2, 2007