when to convert xtracycle from chick magnet to baby hauler?

  • jessejessejesssejesse
    Message 1 of 10 , May 6, 2011
      (just kidding about the chick magnet...in case my wife is checking)

      We have a 5 month old and I'm dreaming about the day when he can go along for a ride...for the parents out there, how old was your child when you first felt they were ready to ride along on the xtracycle?

      I'm thinking a year, but I've heard stories about 9 months and others who have waited multiple years.

      Recommendations? Experiences?

      Thanks,

      Jesse
      Washington, DC
    • Liz W Durham
      Message 2 of 10 , May 6, 2011
        Most pediatricians will say one year. And, if you search around the the internet, most official sources will say one year. The concern relates to neck strength. Although little ones can easily keep their heads up way before 12 months, there is the extra weight of the helmet and there is a lot of jostling on a bike. Us big folks do not realize how much jostling it is as we have way larger bodies to absorb the bumps, jiggles, etc.

        That being said, I found the lightest helmet that met safety requirements and put my little one on the bike in a child safety seat at about 10.5 - 11 months of age. I did not have my extracycle at the time but had him in a front mount seat so I could monitor him while riding. If I had owned an extracycle at the time I would probably have still put him up front for the first 6 months to year or so of riding. Not for safety so much as just to be able to communicate more easily while riding.

        Happy riding!

        --
        -Liz

        Liz W. Durham
        773-383-2586

        Message 3 of 10 , May 6, 2011
          Concur on the year; and don't forget, they grow fast, so if you are a little unsure, wait a month or two.

          And you might just decide to deliberately run lower pressure in whatever fat tires you have back there; that helps, too.

          David
        • Matthew Brealey
          Message 4 of 10 , May 6, 2011

            It sounds to me like you might be better off with no helmet than one that is going to cause stress on a young neck. It might be more worthwhile to check out seats that provide good side protection. I fell off once with my daughter in this seat http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/108761.html and there was no contact between her and the ground, no cuts, no bruises (and no helmet either).

            Message 5 of 10 , May 6, 2011
              Hi

              I assume you are talking about in some sort of peapod or other seat with restraints.
              In that case, I would say about a year, with the lightest helmet you can find.  Try and
              find a helmet that does not stick out very far in back, otherwise they might end up in a
              uncomfortable position with their head pushed forward by the back of the seat.

              For just sitting back there and holding on to the stoker bar, I would say about 4.
              In this case, the critical thing is that the kid does not fall asleep.
              I remember yelling at my daughter to stay awake and performing various exciting
              turns and wiggles during a late afternoon ride when she was about 4.

              Now, at 7.5, I am hoping she does not see any photos of xtracycle surfing, lest she get some
              ideas...

              Carl

              On Fri 06/05/11 5:17 AM , "jessejessejesssejesse" jesseleifert@... sent:

              (just kidding about the chick magnet...in case my wife is checking)

              We have a 5 month old and I'm dreaming about the day when he can go along for a ride...for the parents out there, how old was your child when you first felt they were ready to ride along on the xtracycle?

              I'm thinking a year, but I've heard stories about 9 months and others who have waited multiple years.

              Recommendations? Experiences?

              Thanks,

              Jesse
              Washington, DC

            • David Backeberg
              Message 6 of 10 , May 6, 2011
                On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 8:17 AM, jessejessejesssejesse
                <jesseleifert@...> wrote:
                > We have a 5 month old and I'm dreaming about the day when he can go along for a ride...for the >parents out there, how old was your child when you first felt they were ready to ride along on the >xtracycle?

                It depends on the seat. We have the Peapod LT, which seems to already
                be no longer the latest Peapod. We also have a child who happened to
                have a high-percentile head circumference, and this meant
                sooner-than-average proper fit for helmet. And as for fit against the
                seat itself, it will depend on the measurements of the child more than
                the age of the child. All parents who have parented babies know that
                'age sized' clothes are silly and wildly variable even if you buy the
                same brand.

                So for us, her first ride in the five-point harness seat, full back
                and head support, with proper helmet fit ride was at eight months and
                a few weeks. That was a short ride, about three miles round trip. She
                has since done 12 miles at about nine and a half months.

                For helmet, we strongly recommend the Specialized Small Fry, which has
                the nice dial-adjustable inner-helmet sizing that adults expect with a
                good bike helmet. This helped assure us of a good fit, and we also
                were careful to measure her head circumference with a cloth tape
                measure to be certain we were in spec for the helmet.

                And now, to go into the land of conjecture...

                Why is it that people think nothing of putting a newborn in a car, but
                think that putting that same child on a bike is inherently dangerous?
                The very-nice Britax carseats are now coming out with sizing down to
                five-pound newborns. Yes, I have seen pictures of a Britax bolted to a
                bakfiets. Yes, in other countries with people of the same ancestry and
                values of Americans, parents would not think it dangerous to put their
                newborn on a bicycle. Alas, this is uncommon and would be grounds for
                being told you are a bad parent in my neck of the woods.
              • todd
                Message 7 of 10 , May 6, 2011
                  --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "jessejessejesssejesse" <jesseleifert@...> wrote:

                  > We have a 5 month old and I'm dreaming about the day when he can go along for a ride...for the parents out there, how old was your child when you first felt they were ready to ride along on the xtracycle?

                  As soon as he can hold his head up, in a front seat. This is us in 2003: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cleverchimp/3390730999/

                  Rear seats are generally much larger than front, and don't offer as much support to little babies as to toddlers. Besides, front seats are more pleasant, with babe between arms.
                • Liz W Durham
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 6, 2011

                    On May 6, 2011 9:37 PM, "todd" <todd@...> wrote:

                    > As soon as he can hold his head up, in a front seat. This is us in 2003: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cleverchimp/3390730999/
                    >
                    > Rear seats are generally much larger than front, and don't offer as much support to little babies as to toddlers. Besides, front seats are more pleasant, with babe between arms.
                    ----------

                    Is that the bobike mini? I loved the mini for my son! I agree...riding with babe between arms was a wonderful thing.

                  • Julio Alvarez
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 6, 2011
                      I started putting my 3 month old baby  with xtra blankets/ small baby pillows on th sides to keep her from falling sideways and such on a trailer with her 2 year old brother  next to her. Has worked fine for me thus far.....and my 4 year old sits on the  snap-board holding onto  the handlebars which is hooked up to my seta post. Just gotta ride cautiously and be alert as you ride along with your little precious cargo.

                      > We have a 5 month old and I'm dreaming about the day when he can go along for a ride...for the parents out there, how old was your child when you first felt they were ready to ride along on the xtracycle?

                      As soon as he can hold his head up, in a front seat. This is us in 2003: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cleverchimp/3390730999/

                      Rear seats are generally much larger than front, and don't offer as much support to little babies as to toddlers. Besides, front seats are more pleasant, with babe between arms.

                    • Travers, Neil
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 7, 2011
                        That would seem logical to me too. At that age I can't see that a helmet makes sense and the better option is crash protection from the seat. (But getting that argument past my wife might be harder. So I do understand the emotional pressure).

                        Most seats seen to be 9 months. But if you are going to insist on a helmet then waiting until they can support the additional weight is going to be necessary.

                        Neil.