Re: [rootsradicals] South America Tour

    Message 1 of 34 , May 5, 2011
      On 2011-05-05, at 2:35 PM, Vik Banerjee wrote:

      > You will destroy any dynohub or IGH if you put it under water. If I have any doubt I carry/walk my bike across a stream/river.

      That was my assumption, but it never hurts to be explicit. It would certainly justify the higher price, if it *could* survive some dunking.

      > SON and B&M continue to get good press because they make great products. Not because they make products you can't destroy.

      I think my defunct S12 stands as a counterexample to your claim. It was hardly upside down; it was on the upper FreeRadical member, not the lower member, so it was somewhat tilted upward, just not dead upright. Nobody said "whoa, our mistake for not documenting this". Nobody offered a discount on a replacement. I don't think I abused it in the least, and it failed. That's not "Great".

      In contrast, I have been much happier with my Shimano hub ($100-$120); it has thus far failed to fail. The current price of the S12 is $315. It is absolutely, positively, not worth that much money, and I think Peter White does his (potential) customers a disservice by listing it for sale.

      David
    • Cara Lin Bridgman
      Message 34 of 34 , May 10, 2011
        Yep, that's been my latest and hopefully last solution: a 'mag'
        flashlight with the new LED 'bulb' and a rechargable battery. It has
        all metal housing, rubber gaskets, and three light settings: BRIGHT!!,
        not so bright, and blink. It's supposed to last about 4 hours. The
        problem is the housing that attaches it to the bike is still on the
        privative side--needs a quick release. This thing really turns night
        into day! It has to be as annoying for oncoming traffic as those
        stinking halogen car headlights.

        CL