Re: [rootsradicals] South America Tour

  • Rick
    Message 1 of 34 , May 2, 2011
      Thanks for the advice, gents! Really appreciate it. Snagged the Marathon Tours for my bike and hers... Sad dropping down from my Hookworms, but by mile 10 I'm sure I'll be stoked! :D

      Cheers,
      Rick

      On Apr 30, 2011, at 4:42 AM, David Chase wrote:

      What's your timeline for building your lights?

      If you want a drop-dead simple circuit (like I have on my son's bike) you get 3 big caps, 4 big diodes, a hub, and about 3 power LEDs (white-white-red) and lenses. You'll notice a little drag (I use a fancier circuit with lower drag) but not much, and you can always unplug it. You epoxy the LEDs onto angle iron, drill holes, and attach it to the bike in a variety of ways.

      To run on batteries, you need something like a "BuckPuck" or "BuckToot" to regulate the current (the LED-hub combo is self-regulating, though you experience that as drag). That's what's in the fancier circuit.

      Your main enemy to all these things is vibration; I've experienced more vibration failures (Boston commuting, part-time) than wet failures (none) despite always storing it outdoors and riding it in various weather.

      (I've been designing these for years, and built basically 3 systems, and am working on one more. There's "simple", "fancy", "fancy with standlight", and I am trying to design "fancier yet with standlight and USB charger").

      David

    • Cara Lin Bridgman
      Message 34 of 34 , May 10, 2011
        Yep, that's been my latest and hopefully last solution: a 'mag'
        flashlight with the new LED 'bulb' and a rechargable battery. It has
        all metal housing, rubber gaskets, and three light settings: BRIGHT!!,
        not so bright, and blink. It's supposed to last about 4 hours. The
        problem is the housing that attaches it to the bike is still on the
        privative side--needs a quick release. This thing really turns night
        into day! It has to be as annoying for oncoming traffic as those
        stinking halogen car headlights.

        CL