Re: [rootsradicals] South America Tour

  • Vik Banerjee
    Message 1 of 34 , May 1, 2011
      The SON is well worth the cost if you want dependable dynolighting. You'l replace a Shimano dynohub several times during the life of a SON.

      The comment made below about too much skewer grease refers to the fact the SON has a long coil of tubing inside it so that when you take it outside from a warm room into a cool damp day it doesn't suck in a lot of moisture that will corrode the interior components. The tube allows this moisture to condense somewhere harmless and too much grease would block that hole. This is a problem with any large bodied hub like a dynohub. Shimano simply ignores the problem and you'll end up buying a new one.

      I use both Shimano & SON dynohubs. The Shimano ones for my less critical missions and the SON for bikes that I can't afford a lighting failure.

      Shimano dynohubs cost ~$120-$150 and a SON is in the range of $250-$310.

      safe riding,

      On 2011-04-29, at 8:03 PM, David Chase wrote:

      SON is pretty darn expensive; would you be better off with the much cheaper Shimano Hubs?
      I recall reading on the Peter White site very specific instructions about not blocking the vent hole with grease (and my own experience with German electronics is rather unhappy, especially regarding water).  Seems like you might be better off with a pretty-good hub, well-greased bearings (on the grease-able side) and I'm not sure what on the other side.

      On 2011-04-29, at 10:33 PM, Rick wrote:
      dyno front hub — I have a Son dyno front hub that I could lace up with the new rims, but am I just asking for trouble trying to bring a water sensitive component along?

    • Cara Lin Bridgman
      Message 34 of 34 , May 10, 2011
        Yep, that's been my latest and hopefully last solution: a 'mag'
        flashlight with the new LED 'bulb' and a rechargable battery. It has
        all metal housing, rubber gaskets, and three light settings: BRIGHT!!,
        not so bright, and blink. It's supposed to last about 4 hours. The
        problem is the housing that attaches it to the bike is still on the
        privative side--needs a quick release. This thing really turns night
        into day! It has to be as annoying for oncoming traffic as those
        stinking halogen car headlights.

        CL