Re: [rootsradicals] South America Tour

  • Bill Swingle
    Message 1 of 34 , Apr 30, 2011
      In the realm of tires, I can't speak more highly of Schwalbe's Touring
      tires. I've had a pair of Schwalbe Marathon XR's (26x2.125") on my X for 2
      years now and have pounded the snot out of them in every conceivable
      terrain and have not had a single flat. (of course, now I'll get one
      tomorrow) :)

      The Marathon XR's seem to be out of production now but they've
      replaced it with the Marathon Plus Tour which my wife and I are
      using on our long haul truckers. We're using the 26x2" wide version.
      We haven't had them long but they promise to be even more rock-solid
      due to the added SmartGuard layer. You can literally shove a a
      thumbtack directly into the tire and it not hit your tube.

      For being such a substantial tire with a good deal of knobby tread they
      roll quite well on roads too. Haven't taken them off road yet but I'm
      sure they'll do fine. The tread pattern seems to be an updated version
      of the XR.

      I always buy Schwalbes tubes too, they're a bit pricy but I've never had
      a single problem with them ever and you can feel why when you hold them
      in your hands.

      Your bike tour of permaculture farms sounds like my perfect tour. I hope
      it's amazing :)

      On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 07:33:25PM -0700, Rick wrote:
      > Hey Radical Rooters,
      > I'm leaving (have mostly left) my post at Xtracycle. I've enjoyed the ebbs and
      > flows and am very excited for the company's continued growth and look forward
      > to staying active on the road with updates, photos, etc.
      > I wanted to get any/some advice on long distance touring gear. We're starting
      > in Ecuador (Guayaquil) and trekking north to a permaculture farm to work for
      > about a month (repeating this flow through Peru, Bolivia, Chile, Argentina,
      > Uruguay... flying to Columbia and finishing in Panama).
      > The bikes:
      > Me: 22" Surly Big Dummy (2009), SnapDeck, new FreeLoader bags, KickBack
      > Wife: 52cm Surly Long Haul Trucker (2011), Surly Nice Front/Rear Racks, Ortlieb
      > bags
      > Things still in question are:
      > tires wife has Continental City Contacts that came standard, but I'm worried
      > they might not be robust enough for the low grade roads Latin America is known
      > for. Thinking about the Continental Travel Contacts for their robust sidewall
      > protection. I'm swapping out my Hookworms and building up new hoops. Currently
      > I have a pair of unopened Schwalbe Supremes 26" x 2" but there's very little
      > nobbiness to speak of on the edges and researching touring blogs everyone seems
      > to have some sort of edge knobbies (and are usually on busted, rural roads).
      > camelback vs h2o bottles have both, know that having nothing on the back is
      > great, but instant water access also rules.
      > dyno front hub I have a Son dyno front hub that I could lace up with the new
      > rims, but am I just asking for trouble trying to bring a water sensitive
      > component along?
      > Most everything else is figured out, sure there's more, but any help is greatly
      > appreciated.
      > Cheers and ride on!
      > Rick

      -=| Bill Swingle - unfurl@...
    • Cara Lin Bridgman
      Message 34 of 34 , May 10, 2011
        Yep, that's been my latest and hopefully last solution: a 'mag'
        flashlight with the new LED 'bulb' and a rechargable battery. It has
        all metal housing, rubber gaskets, and three light settings: BRIGHT!!,
        not so bright, and blink. It's supposed to last about 4 hours. The
        problem is the housing that attaches it to the bike is still on the
        privative side--needs a quick release. This thing really turns night
        into day! It has to be as annoying for oncoming traffic as those
        stinking halogen car headlights.